The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 4, 2016, 09:11 PM   #26
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmar
If acknowledging the fact that i'd be ripped off and deciding not to sell something is complaining them i'm happy to be a complainer.
How is a company offering you what they consider a fair price for your used junk (hate to tell you this but 99% of used gun sellers claim that their gun has "only" had 5 or 10 rounds through it .....) ripping you off?

Do you have access to Gunbroker? I just searched completed sales and there are literally pages of unsold brand new blued Vaqueros at $569 with 0 bids. Why would you expect a company to buy your used (possibly abused) stuff for $500 then have to sell it for more than you could get a new one to be able to make a profit?

Sounds like to me that you're trying to rip someone off unloading your used vaquero on them.
Old April 4, 2016, 09:27 PM   #27
Rancid

I only sell guns when I'm looking to buy another one. Very few guns go up in value. At least not in our lifetimes. The only way a gun will increase in value is to buy it new, wrap it up very well and put it in a time capsule to be opened in the year 2216. But for us, have fun and shoot them.

Right now I have a Beretta Pintail and a Ruger Red Label that I do not use and they are taking up space. I have an eye on a nice rifle so they are going down the road. I would rather get 50% at a pawn shop then have to deal with trying to sell it online. Everyone wants to see pics, no one has any money, and they complain about the price. Then you have to box it up, take it you an FFL and ship the darn thing. Give me a break!
Old April 4, 2016, 09:34 PM   #28
jmar

Quote:
Sounds like to me that you're trying to rip someone off unloading your used vaquero on them.
Sounds to me like you read way to far into things. I don't appreciate being called a liar, and you calling my stuff junk..

What's with people...
Old April 4, 2016, 10:16 PM   #29
Crankylove

My nearest Cabelas will give you about 25%, or less, of current market value.

If they think they can sell it for $500, you'd be lucky to get more than $125 out of them, and it'd probably be more like $75-80.

I would never sell them a gun, but many people do. From what I've seen, it's usually people who've inherited/been gifted firearms, and have no knowledge or interest in them, and are just happy to get rid of them and get something out of them.
Old April 4, 2016, 10:32 PM   #30
Pietro Beretta

JMAR

When I first moved up to where I currently life I was in a tough financial spot.

I went to a few guns dealers with all my handguns...

The only offer I got was on my 1911, its worth 1,000 new and I can get about 850 any day of the week for it. I was offered $400, I think not. They didn't even look at my other guns that were in the $600 new range.

Selling a gun online is about as much of a hassle as buying a gun. Most sell within a few days when I put them up on a local forum to where I live. Since I live in the Pacific Northwest we have a forum called northwestfirearms, most guns sell within a couple of days.

http://www.armslist.com/ is a good place to list your gun to local residents in your area.

I guess my point is, if you need the money, its not that much of a hassle selling it and doing it legal.
Old April 4, 2016, 10:42 PM   #31
Pietro Beretta

jmar

Ruger Vaquero, what finish, what caliber?

There is a .357 MAG Vaquero selling on GunBroker.com for 400.00 with 20 hours left. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=550191365

There is a .44 Special Sherrifs Model Vaquero selling on GunBroker.com for 500.00 with 13 hours left. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=548920996

You can pick up a Stainless .45LC Vaquero from GrabAgun.com for 590.00 new.

There may be some validity in what others have said. You may have paid too much for the gun when you bought it and it may be worth more to you just to keep it for now.
Old April 4, 2016, 10:55 PM   #32
FrankenMauser

Quote:
But my gun is is like new condition i think that the 65% offer should be around 80% at least. Just doesn't seem worth it to lose so much on a gun i used so little. What condition was your gun in?
If true, that's the best I've ever seen for a Cabela's location.

My personal experience involved witnessing and/or being given offers for 10-25% of market value. And then they priced the items (sold by other people) at 15-25% above market.
Old April 4, 2016, 11:19 PM   #33
jmar

Quote:
My personal experience involved witnessing and/or being given offers for 10-25% of market value. And then they priced the items (sold by other people) at 15-25% above market.
Exactly why i said i wont deal with them. Some people however seem offended by that decision and are calling me out. Oh well my 80% number is just what i think i should get for a gun in like new condition. I completely understand being offered 40% if say it was a Mosin Nagant but it's not and i don't want to sell a gun for half what i bought it for only a couple years ago especially if i put $80 grips on it. Thanks everyone for saving me a trip.
Old April 5, 2016, 12:03 AM   #34
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
...Oh well my 80% number is just what i think i should get for a gun in like new condition....
But you never will selling it to a dealer. It would make no economic sense for a dealer to pay anywhere near that much.

And that applies not just to guns, but to pretty much anything. If you sell something to a dealer in such items, and unless what you're selling is particularly rare, desirable, and sought after, or the dealer already has a buyer for it, the dealer will offer you only a fairly modest percentage of what he can reasonably expect to sell the item for.

A dealer really doesn't want another gun. The gun has value to him only to the extent he can convert back into more cash than he paid for it. He can't pay his rent or salaries of other expenses of being in business with another gun. He needs real money. So it's all a matter of how much net profit he can realize. Buying the used gun is just an investment from a business perspective; and its value is simply a function of the expected return on that investment.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old April 5, 2016, 12:20 AM   #35
buckhorn_cortez

Here's the problem. A new Vaquero can be purchased from a number of places for about $600.

If you are a shooter looking for a used gun you want a deal - not a "lightly used gun" at nearly full retail. The store has to make a profit and have some leeway to bargain with the prospective customer.

The store also has a set markup they've decided on for used guns. Let's say that's 30% - just to make this easy to work with.

So, let's say they need to price the "lightly used" gun at $550 to make it attractive to a buyer. They can't sell it at anything close to $600 because the customer will just say for $10, $20, $30 more I can get a new gun - not a used one.

They have to offer the gun at a price that is enough less than a new gun that it is attractive to the buyer to consider a used gun rather than a new gun. Plus, they need enough room in the price to "dicker" a little with the customer.

Take $550 and subtract 30% - that's what your gun is worth to the business.

You don't get to tell them what they should buy used guns for because you don't know their overhead, required profit margin, etc.

The only thing you know is what YOU think is fair to YOU. Business doesn't work like that. They have to cover overhead, cost of money, and they need a profit after all of the costs are taken into account.

As one of the best small business owners I ever worked for told a customer with exactly the same unrealistic expectations - "It doesn't do either of us any good if I go out of business because I'm not making the profit required to keep the store open."

If you don't understand that - then you need to sell the gun yourself.

Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; April 5, 2016 at 12:28 AM.
Old April 5, 2016, 12:45 AM   #36
DaleA

For heaven sakes JMAR take it to the Cabelas and see what they offer!

Don't take our word for it, find out for real! Take the box and everything that came with it, even if you still have it the sales receipt and see what the say.

Talking to all of us here is entertaining and (sometimes) informative but there's no substitute for first hand knowledge that you will have if you go price it yourself.

And then please come back and tell us what they offered.
Old April 5, 2016, 12:57 AM   #37
jmar

Quote:
Here's the problem. A new Vaquero can be purchased from a number of places for about $600.

If you are a shooter looking for a used gun you want a deal - not a "lightly used gun" at nearly full retail. The store has to make a profit and have some leeway to bargain with the prospective customer.

The store also has a set markup they've decided on for used guns. Let's say that's 30% - just to make this easy to work with.

So, let's say they need to price the "lightly used" gun at $550 to make it attractive to a buyer. They can't sell it at anything close to $600 because the customer will just say for $10, $20, $30 more I can get a new gun - not a used one.

They have to offer the gun at a price that is enough less than a new gun that it is attractive to the buyer to consider a used gun rather than a new gun. Plus, they need enough room in the price to "dicker" a little with the customer.

Take $550 and subtract 30% - that's what your gun is worth to the business.

You don't get to tell them what they should buy used guns for because you don't know their overhead, required profit margin, etc.

The only thing you know is what YOU think is fair to YOU. Business doesn't work like that. They have to cover overhead, cost of money, and they need a profit after all of the costs are taken into account.

As one of the best small business owners I ever worked for told a customer with exactly the same unrealistic expectations - "It doesn't do either of us any good if I go out of business because I'm not making the profit required to keep the store open."

If you don't understand that - then you need to sell the gun yourself.
Nothing you've said i don't already understand. I've been saying i wont go there for a while now, as many have stated Cabelas almost never offers a price that is fair, they prey on the same people pawnshops do so they have leverage to lowball their prices. I'm simply saying i'd rather keep the gun or trade it off than lose most my money on it. What Cabelas does Cabelas can do for all i care, i just wont sell guns there.

Regardless asking for 80% of $550 is $440, add in my brand new grips and i think that's fair as they'd probably sell it for $620.
Old April 5, 2016, 01:00 AM   #38
jmar

Quote:
For heaven sakes JMAR take it to the Cabelas and see what they offer!

Don't take our word for it, find out for real! Take the box and everything that came with it, even if you still have it the sales receipt and see what the say.

Talking to all of us here is entertaining and (sometimes) informative but there's no substitute for first hand knowledge that you will have if you go price it yourself.

And then please come back and tell us what they offered.
Maybe, but from what people say it's a waste of time, my Cabelas is always very slow. Worth a shot i guess.
Old April 5, 2016, 01:47 AM   #39
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
...What Cabelas does Cabelas can do for all i care, i just wont sell guns there.....
I doubt that's a problem for them. I'm sure they are happy to forego the acquisition of your gun if they'd have to pay more for it than they think makes economic sense for them.

Quote:
....Regardless asking for 80% of $550 is $440, add in my brand new grips and i think that's fair....
You might think that's fair, but I doubt you'd get anything close to that from any dealer. If you find a dealer who will pay that, let us know.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Last edited by Frank Ettin; April 5, 2016 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Correct typo
Old April 5, 2016, 03:20 AM   #40
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40
I talked to someone at a local Cabelas about purchasing a gun from me. Their policy is to determine how much they can sell it for and offer you 65% of that. I didn't want to sell it that bad. I'd imagine a trade would be very similar.
I was expecting them to estimate what they could sell your gun for in under 3 days and then offer 50% of that. I think that is the standard deal.
Old April 5, 2016, 03:49 AM   #41
drobs

Most gun shops (Cabelas included) make a profit on the guns they sell. They are a business after all...

So while Cabela's sold the gun to you for around $600. They bought the gun from a distributor for less - AKA Dealer Cost. Probably $450 to $500. So they are not going to offer you $600 or $450 for your, now used gun, as they can buy a new gun from their distributor for that or less than that.

They will offer you a % less than what they can buy the gun new from their distributor. I'd guess right around $275 to $325.

If I were you, I'd either consign it at a local gun shop or try to sell it privately. Shops usually charge 10% to consign firearms.

Problem there is - how fast do you need the $? Is the electric company going to shut off your electricity?

Vaquero's just aren't a hot seller. If you price it too high it's going to sit.
Old April 5, 2016, 04:33 AM   #42
Blindstitch

Cabelas is a fun place to watch people sell there guns. I have seen several people win guns at banquets and take them there. I can't remember what this one guy had but it was a rifle scope combo worth $2200 and Cabelas told him that and he was happy till they said they would give him $1500 for his used/never actually used gun.

There was another guy with a Beretta Over/Under 12 gauge and I met him prior to going there and he said he would sell the gun to me for $100 more than they would give them. The gun was estimated as $1300 with box, chokes and anything else he had. They offered $550. The guy was furious and I knew he wouldn't sell it to me for $650.

This is why you never sell guns. Make the right decision and buy the guns you like and keep them forever.
Old April 5, 2016, 05:46 AM   #43
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
There's a big difference in trading in a gun that has 30 rounds vs 30,000 rounds. That's where the extra 15% comes from.
No, there's no difference at all. A pristine, almost new firearm will sell for more than a badly beat-up version of the same firearm. If the policy is to buy for 65% of what they can sell it for, 65% of a higher price is more than 65% of a lower price.

If the selling price of the pristine example is 15% higher than the price of the junker, the buy price will automatically be 15% higher, as well.

By the way -- if they buy for 65% of what they can sell it for, they are not making 35% on their money. They are making 53% -- and a 50% mark-up is not unusual for any large retail operation.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; April 5, 2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old April 5, 2016, 06:15 AM   #44
David R

I traded a few guns.

One I can think of is when they started using the M92. I have always shot a 1911 45 ACP, but since it was the new sidearm, I bought a blue Italian Beretta with wood grips. I could carry 51 rounds on me If I wanted. In the end , I traded it for a Ruger supeer Redhawk in 44 mag. When I tried to trade the Beretta, I told the guy I paid $420 for it used. He said "You got ripped off" I said "I bought it FROM YOU".

Traded an 8" 38 K frame smith adj sights and full lunderlug. The first store was wavering between $50 and $100. The next place gave me $350 for it. They were in the case for $799.00.

Convience is what they are trying to give you. Gun gone, money in your pocket NOW.

I have only sold a few guns, most of them were not worth keeping.

David

Last edited by David R; April 5, 2016 at 07:19 AM.
Old April 5, 2016, 06:40 AM   #45
madmo44mag

I have had great luck on trades there.
My last trade was a month ago.
I traded a like new Beretta 92s and a well used Para Ordinance LDA 45 towards a new Colt Gold Cup Trophy.
I paid $325.00 for the Beretta 92s a year ago and got $325.00 for it. I paid $500.00 for the Para and got $425.00 and had been shooting it for over 5 yrs on a regular bases.
The Colt cost me $1,200.00 plus tax which was not a bad deal for NIB Colt GCT IMO. Other local GS are selling them for $1,150.00 up.
I could have bought one on line for a little less but once you figure shipping, transfer and the hassle I was good at $1,200.00.
The deal I made a couple years back was just as good.
They may not pay as much if you are just selling but they have done right by me when trading and buying a new gun.

Last edited by madmo44mag; April 5, 2016 at 06:51 AM.
Old April 5, 2016, 07:13 AM   #46
45_auto

Quote:
Sounds to me like you read way to far into things. I don't appreciate being called a liar, and you calling my stuff junk..
In the same vein, honest retailers offering a fair price on a used gun don't appreciate people who obviously have no idea how a business operates claiming that the retailer is "ripping them off".

Some people .....
Old April 5, 2016, 08:51 AM   #47
Bucksnort1

jmar,

Some members are complete jerks.

I think crankylove is spot on with his comment about Cabela's offering around 25 percent. Last year, I sold two youth size rifles in .243 and .223. I don't remember what they offered but I do remember it was way lower than what I wanted. Because I was anxious to move the rifles out of my inventory to purchase another rifle, I took the offer.
Old April 5, 2016, 01:39 PM   #48
Pietro Beretta

Quote:
This is why you never sell guns. Make the right decision and buy the guns you like and keep them forever.
I disagree, I would say; "This is why whenever you do buy a gun, buy it at 25% below tag price."

I purchased my Sig P938 a BRG with night sights for $590.

I purchased my Springfield XD Mod.2 45 for $399.

There are so many gun dealers around, auctions sites, forums - there is no reason to pay full tag price. My LGS hate me, I have tried to purchase firearms from my LGS trying to get the same deals that I can get online or private FFLs - offering cash, and I always get the "if you can buy it at that price I suggest you do." This is fine, I understand they have overhead and a % that they expect in return... but at the same time - inventory on the shelves is money on the shelves and it doesn't do any dam bit of good to leave money on the shelf.
Old April 5, 2016, 02:06 PM   #49
jmar

Quote:
jmar,

Some members are complete jerks.

I think crankylove is spot on with his comment about Cabela's offering around 25 percent. Last year, I sold two youth size rifles in .243 and .223. I don't remember what they offered but I do remember it was way lower than what I wanted. Because I was anxious to move the rifles out of my inventory to purchase another rifle, I took the offer
Haha yep, Don't know what i did wrong. Just asked how much Cabelas would give me and decided not to go with them. Some people think i should sell my "junk gun" for a third of what i bought it for. But it's completely fair because they're a super smart business and i have no idea how a business operates, or room to decide if i'm getting ripped off or not. Guess i should just listen to these people and take a 60% loss to a fair business, rather then keeping it and selling online for most my money back...

I do appreciate all the helpful replys, however but this situation is pretty much understood. I may decide to go and see what they'll give me and if i do i'll post it here.
Old April 5, 2016, 02:57 PM   #50
madmo44mag

Here is a little of the devils advocate.
Most people think their stuff is worth far more than the going local retail market and wholesale market.
I live in Texas a very large state.
A gun in the DFW area may bring less money than it would in west Texas 500 miles away. A lot has to do with the local market.
The guy at Cabelas gave me $325.00 for a used Beretta I paid $325.00 for and bought in another state with my 03 FFL.
Why, because he can sell it for more here in the local market.
I could have done the same and made money on it but I got what I paid for it and moved it along on another gun deal.
The point I am trying to make is the local market plays a large part in what a dealer or store will pay for a used gun.
And remember this; that gun you are selling may be new but the day it left the original dealer inventory it became a used gun.