The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 29, 2013, 08:11 PM   #1
Bbell

RamShot TruBlu

I found some tru blue at the gun store yesterday and since powder is so scarce these days I bought it. I'm new at reloading and finally figured out the charge for the 700x I bought for 45acp and 230g fmj. I noticed in all of the load data I found out there that the powder charge for trublu varies from 4.2 gr. To 7.1 gr for 230 gn rn fmj depending on the maker of the bullet. The bullets I bought were unmarked as to manuf. So I don't know which data to use. Why the big range in charges? I'm new to this, but I thought " probably incorrectly" that 230gn rn fmj were very similar.

Last edited by Bbell; May 29, 2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old May 29, 2013, 08:46 PM   #2
SonOfGun

Ramshot web page has load data. Use it.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:03 PM   #3
Bbell

better glasses

Thanks for the suggestion. I went back to the ram shot site and looked at the data again, turns out I was reading it wrong!
Old May 29, 2013, 11:31 PM   #4
noylj

For safety, start with lowest starting load you can find and work up. Do not load shorter than the minimum COL shown in the various manuals.
It is True Blue.
6.8-7.6gn. at RamShot. One source goes as high as 7.8gn.
RN bullets come in two basic "styles." One is more or less a hemisphere--short and squatty ogive. The other has a longer tapering curve, so it is more "pointy."
The longer curve will generally use a longer COL, while the short and squatty ogive will hit the rifling much sooner in terms to COL.
You need to find the COL that works for your gun and your bullet.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:55 AM   #5
Bbell

better glasses

Thanks a bunch. I do appreciate the info. Every bit helps. Every time I come to this forum, I learn a little more.
Old May 31, 2013, 04:15 PM   #6

Congrats! You're gonna discover that through coincidence that you just bought an excellent powder. True Blue can be used to effectively load any handgun cartridge and metering consistency is outstanding because it's dense and very fine grained. I don't think a lot of reloaders have caught on to these attributes, especially when trying to get a "one size fits all" type powder. I have had very good results with .45 ACP with both jacketed and 200 gr. SWC loads. I've been using it since 2002 and I use all of Ramshot's "Handgun" propellants as well as several of their rifle powders. ZIP is a very good choice for .45 ACP as well, if you can find it.