The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 7, 2009, 08:24 PM   #26
CraigC

Quote:
...it will indeed be loaded with hardcast bullets, loaded HOT.
No need to load it "hot". Anything much over 1200fps serves only to flatten trajectory and beat up the shooter unnecessarily. Like I stated before, no need for scorching velocity or heavyweight cast bullets for good eatin'-sized pigs under 200lbs. Standard weight hardcast bullets do fine, 173-180gr for the 357, 240-260gr for the .44 and .45Colt. They're not armor-plated but it's good to know that their brain is very small and not exactly the easiest target to hit. I once shot a hog's face all to hamburger meat (6-8 times) because I forgot where the brain was in my rush to put my sandwich down, draw my Bisley .44 and bust a hog as he rushed through. Placement is paramount!
Old September 7, 2009, 09:00 PM   #27
m&p45acp10+1

I have dipatched quite a few hogs with .22lr. Then again it was a downward shot through the head. I have also had to put a few 12 ga slugs into the side of a few that people that did not know any better shot in the head with various calibers of handguns.
Personaly if I am hunting hogs with my bow I also bring a largebore handgun as a back up. I was chased up a tree by a sow when I was in highschool and at that moment would have traded $1500 worht of archery equipment for a cheap magnum revolver. I was pinned in that tree for over a half hour before she finaly left.
Old September 7, 2009, 09:03 PM   #28
Kyo

note to self- the 45 might not be enough, hunt near trees. Don't move after hog plays dead.
thanks for the tips guys
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old September 8, 2009, 02:45 AM   #29
Lost Sheep

A perfect 9 for hogs.

I read on another thread (can't remember exactly which one, sorry) that there is a very good 9mm cartridge for hunting dangerous, thick-skinned game.

9 x 57 Mauser.

Lost Sheep
Old September 8, 2009, 04:00 AM   #30
imthegrumpyone

Kyo +1, carry a "big stick" I'm to old to be climbing a tree.
Old September 8, 2009, 07:17 AM   #31
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I strapped on the 9mm before the hunt as more of an afterthough than really esxpecting to USE it
There really is a very profound lesson in this statement.

Quote:
I'm to old to be climbing a tree.
And another one!
Old September 8, 2009, 07:23 AM   #32
Dingoboyx

If thats what they mean by 'hog heaven'.... I'll stay here thanks
Old September 8, 2009, 08:02 AM   #33
Uncle Billy

Sounds like hunting hogs from a tree stand might be a good idea- going up a tree because I want to would be easier on my ego than being chased up a tree by a mad pig.
Old September 8, 2009, 09:53 AM   #34
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Oh there are so many nay-sayers that have implied that I am crazy for discounting the 9mm etc. for defensive stopping of hogs. If I take a guy to try his hands at shooting a hog, I don't care how good he is with his trusty .45-70, my butt is toting a shotgun with slugs.

Nothing leaves a warm fuzzy feeling in yer drawers like facing down a mad hog that is chopping his jaws which is actually sharpening the "cutters"

I feel safe enough with the bulldogs that we don't even take a firearm when runnin' dogs. I have had a few close calls with "runners" in the dark but luckily I waited until the last moment to spook them and they always turned off. If you spook them from farther away, they have time to size you up to determine if fight or flight is best.
Brent
Old September 8, 2009, 01:28 PM   #35
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Nothing leaves a warm fuzzy feeling in yer drawers like ...
Note to self: Hogdogs recipes produce some strange end products.

I suggest chewing your food more thoroughly after cooking it much more thoroughly.
Old September 8, 2009, 01:57 PM   #36
Buzzcook

As I've said I don't hunt piggies. but given my experience with how big and tough domestic hogs can get, I'd definitely would want a rifle or shotgun over any handgun.

While I'm on the domestic pig topic. We went to the county fair this weekend and saw some nice 4H animals. If you guys get a chance go bid on one of those kids pigs, or cows. Get some nice hand raised meat and support the kids.
Old September 8, 2009, 03:13 PM   #37
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

A couple 2 or 3 years ago, my daughter had a pig in the fair show... we we helping the transport of the hogs and one persistent little hog got loose in the fair barn. Was not cooperating with getting herded to the pen... lil miss.hogdogs told the ag taecher we could bring a dog to "catch" the pig. He asked "Oh a curr dog?" She said "No, a catch dog..." He asked if it would do any damage, She said... well it might lose an ear... He declined the offer...
Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; September 8, 2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old September 8, 2009, 03:38 PM   #38
2damnold4this

I've shot through hog skulls before with a .45 ACP and a .22 LR but not at a head on angle. I'm surprised that the nine didn't penetrate. I guess the skull must be thicker in the front and the slope probably makes the shot more difficult.
Old September 8, 2009, 03:53 PM   #39
Hog Hunter

I have an M&P 45 that i use to carry with me untill last year when i downd a hog with my 7mm mag broke both front sholders, droped her right there. i Walked up an realized how big the pig was and to find it still alive. the pig was around 400 the biggest hog ive ever taken and ive shot alot. I pulled my M&P and put a round in its head at about 5 feet, if its two front sholders wouldnt have been busted up ida been hurt cause the hog tried to get up an just plowed towards me with its rear legs. I fired again and struck the pig in the spine. I was later abel to pull both balls out with a pair of neddle nose. They both fully mushroomed just under its thick skin.

I now carry a 7 shot .357 mag and am looking into getting a .44 mag. Me personaly i would carry something with a higher velocity and a big ball.
Old September 8, 2009, 03:56 PM   #40
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

And i must also add that my "go-to" dispatch weapon for a penned hog is my Gamo 1,000 fps .177 pellet rifle. I just put some slop in the trough at night, when they put their face in to eat, "POP"... They drop on their knees instantly and twitch as any creature that has had the CNS destroyed will do. when I skin the skull I find nice deep .177-.2 hole in the bone... Under controlled situations any thing from my .117 on up is adequate... it is for those "all other" situations where I advise against anything under .45acp (that is questioned by me and prefer to feel a .44mag is minimum with a .45 colt being fine too. But slinging a 20 on my shoulder loaded with slugs makes me happier I have seen too many opened knees, thighs and bellies from getting bowled by a mad hog to want less.
Brent
Old September 8, 2009, 04:55 PM   #41
markj

I bet a FMJ would have penetrated a bit better, least that is what I have found on animal carcasses. The hollow points just dont get down deep like a fmj does.

We have a population of wild hogs here now thanks to a busted fence, most guys use a slug gun for them. No season, just shoot em if and when ya see em.
Old September 8, 2009, 05:03 PM   #42
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Markj, Also you can blame some nefarious types who go around buying hogs and letting them loose on hunting leases to have "exotic" game to hunt only to find they multiply like rats and run off the deer they worked so hard to propagate. Then they also go where they want in search of food, water and privacy.
Brent
Old September 8, 2009, 05:08 PM   #43
DG45

I've never hunted wild boar or wild hogs. Don't want to, either. Nasty looking beast you've got there. However I shot a lot of domestic hogs with a .22 rifle when I was just a kid helping my grandfather slaughter hogs on his farm - a long, long time ago now. (I always used his Remington bolt action rifle; and used standard .22 Long Rifle non-hollow point rounds)The distance was maybe 6' or 8'. They always went down on the knees of their forelegs just like they'd been hit in the head with the back of an ax (which was the other favored way of killing hogs where I came from). I can't properly say I killed any of these hogs; my grandfather actually killed them when he jumped into the pen with them after they'd been shot and cut their throats with a razor sharp Barlow pocket knife, causing them to bleed out. (He was forever sharpening that knife.) Anyway, those .22 bullets were always found deep in the innards of those hogs, having passed through skull, brain, and neck and on down about midway the hog as I recall. I don't know if wild hogs have thicker skulls than domestic ones do, but if not, a 9mm ball round should have penetrated your hog almost from stem to stern, although if you didn't hit him in the brain, it might not have stopped him. Your problem with lack of penetration was probably caused by using hollow points which hit something really hard at high velocity causing it to immediately pancake and stop penetrating.
Old September 8, 2009, 05:13 PM   #44
2damnold4this

I would think a nine would penetrate a little better than a .45 ACP. The hog I shot with the .45 ACP was a 170 lb sow and had been wounded by a friend's muzzle loading rifle. A friend jumped it up in the swamp and we chased it until I could get a shot at it. I hit it in the center of the back as it was climbing out of a creek, then missed a shot at its head. While the shot in the back had anchored it, I was afraid it might run farther into the swamp, so I popped it behind the shoulder. I then had time to aim and put one behind its ear which ended the affair. The .45 didn't have any trouble penetrating the skull from that angle.

The hog I took with the .22 lr was a 180 lbs boar and had no idea I was there. A single shot behind the ear at thirty yards was enough. I did have the .357 out and the .22 rifle slung when I approached it.

Both hogs weighed less than the pig the author of the op shot and may have had thinner skulls. The angle was also different. I guess I'll have to be more careful if I run into one head on.
Old September 8, 2009, 10:14 PM   #45
BoneDigger

Here you go...

My new Simply rugged holster arrived today and so I am now ready to carry my Ruger Redhawk with me from now on. No more "maybes" for me.

Here's #2 the "whole hog"...

And, dinner (Hog #1)...

Todd
Old September 8, 2009, 10:31 PM   #46
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

That number 2 hog is prime pork, while #1 is a right fine sausage monster. The cutters are sizable too. So did you notice him "chopping" his jaws?
Quote:
The top tusks are hollow and act as a permanent whetstone against which the lower tusks are continually sharpened. The lower tusks are indeed extremely sharp.
Thus the terms whetter for top tusk and cutter for the bottom...
Brent
Old September 8, 2009, 10:35 PM   #47
BoneDigger

Nope

Nope, I was too busy trying not to crap my pants at that point. I do remember the growling quite well though...

Todd
Old September 8, 2009, 10:40 PM   #48
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
too busy trying not to crap my pants
Funny how they have that affect on a guy!
But they are just pigs... I mean they can't run fast and are afraid to engage in battle with an armed man!
My son had a little 40-50 pounder with 1/2 inch or so razors run 'tween his legs... it grunted and slashed as it went thru and juniors brand new britches were cut from knee to knee in the inseam... The color drained from his face and the look of fear was incredible... He almost passed out thinking he was castrated and couldn't feel it due to shock and and asked me to look... (he was 15 at the time) I told him "Naw son, thems yer jewels you look!"
Brent
Old September 8, 2009, 11:49 PM   #49
fast-eddie

sig

Do you think a 357 sig will do? Would the 125 grn do, or the 147? Just curious just in case I find myself in this situation.
Old September 9, 2009, 01:41 AM   #50
impalacustom

Bonedigger if your looking for some good cast bullets, go look for the 300 WFN from here, I have used many of their bullets in my 444 and they make some of the best.
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm