The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 18, 2009, 10:26 PM   #1
M4Sherman

Converting a SKS

Is it possible to convert a SKS into 5.45x39? if so does anyone know what Iwould be up against?
Old May 19, 2009, 08:03 AM   #2
rgitzlaff

Why would you want to do that? You would have to get a custom barrel made for it with the gas port in the correct size and location. A gunsmith would have to chamber it, install it, and headspace it. Does this round have the same case head diameter as 7.62x39? If not, then you'll need a new bolt to fit the new round. Pretty sure no one makes one, so you are looking at $$$ for a custom job. I think that pretty much covers it. So basically, this will cost you a lot of money, but I'm sure it can be done if you are willing to pay for it.

edit: The magazine probably will not work with that round either, so you'll need to modify it in some way, as well as get a new follower probably.

Last edited by rgitzlaff; May 19, 2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old May 19, 2009, 08:41 AM   #3
SDC

The head of the 5.45x39mm round is smaller than the 7.62x39mm round; in short, you'd basically have to build the rifle from scratch.
Old May 19, 2009, 08:47 AM   #4
M4Sherman

Humm....It would be a hell of a project! maybe use some AK-74 parts....but then again would it be worth it?
Old May 19, 2009, 11:14 AM   #5
Joat

Quote:
...but then again would it be worth it?
Not to me. if it is something You want, and have the coin for, only you can answer the question if its worth it.

Joat
Old May 19, 2009, 11:31 AM   #6
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
if so does anyone know what Iwould be up against?
Yep. You would spend untold sums of money and still have a $200.00 rifle at the end of the day.

I'm not slamming SKS, I've got one, and like it. I'm also not against spending money customizing or or rebuilding guns, I've got a custom Mauser in .270win that I love. From that project I learned, unless you can do it yourself, you will spend more money customizing a gun than you can just buy a new one, and a very nice new one. Only rarely will you ever get back the money you sink into customizing or rebuilding a gun.
Old May 19, 2009, 04:48 PM   #7
M4Sherman

Well those are some very good points. the reason I want a SKS in 5.45 is because when you start sinking 1000's of rounds down range the price difference in 5.45 and 7.62 adds up very quickly.....I need to google this first!
Old May 19, 2009, 06:12 PM   #8
Tom2

I don't know of any parts commonality between an AK 74 and an SKS that would help with the conversion. Only thing I can think of to save $$ is reloading for the SKS, if you can find the spent cases. Expensive brass cases. Probably should chuck the SKS and get the AK if you want the smaller caliber to shoot. Or keep both. Sort of like converting a Mosin Nagant to shoot .223 or something. Maybe-maybe could be done by an expert gunsmith but for the price of a really nice purpose made .223 rifle, and it would have no resale value anyway. You would not recover your costs in a million years converting an SKS into some other caliber and later trying to sell it for more money.
Old May 19, 2009, 06:30 PM   #9
M4Sherman

Who said anything about selling it? I do have an SKS for sale but that is not the one I am wanting to convert.
Old May 19, 2009, 07:28 PM   #10
Bill DeShivs

It would be cheaper to just buy an AK74 variant.