The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 9, 2013, 05:09 PM   #1
blincoln

New AR... Needs Ammo...

So my backordered Colt LE6920 finally arrived to the FFL yesterday! Am very excited to throw my accessories on it and head out to the range... After I get through the 8 day queue for a background check that is (quite a change from the 25 minute check that I had 5 months ago)...

The weapon I've (almost) got, but ammo I am coming up short on.

I fully understand that there is a very high demand for .223 and 5.56 ammo these days... My question is this:

Does anyone know of a reputable resource that is a) not price-gouging, and b) taking back-orders on said ammo?

Does anyone know of a supplier with stock (that isn't price-gouged) on said ammo?

Thanks!
Beretta 92FS, Beretta PX4 Subcompact .40S/W, Colt LE6920, Remington 700 .222, Mossburg Maverick 88, EAA Windicator, Ruger SR22, Ruger 10/22, Weatherby Vanguard S2 7mm, Sig Sauer P238, Walther PK380, Savage Arms Stevens 555 20 Gauge
Old January 9, 2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Xfire68

Nowhere online that I know of?

I search just about everyday.

Wrong time to be in need of .223/5.56 ammo.

Prices are around $0.85-$1.00 per round.

Wait a few weeks to see if it returns to stock but, I don't see the prices dropping anytime real soon.
Old January 9, 2013, 06:06 PM   #3
tgreening

Where are you? Online isn't the only way to go. My LGS had (as of this morning) about 15K rnds of 55 grn Federal left in 1000 rnd cases for $499. Not stellar prices compared to a few weeks ago, but in my mind not outside reasonable pricing given the climate.

Individuals aren't the only ones hoarding up and driving up prices. I was talking to a check out girl, that apparently does ordering as well, and she said their distributor told her that when the panic hit one of their customers called them up and ordered 4.8 MILLION dollars of 5.56/.223. She said that in the case of their store, the day of the shooting a guy came in and bought 12k rnds himself, and another guy bought 150 30 rnd Pmags. My guess is those guys were of the profiteer type looking to make a buck.

Anyway, local stores around here are getting stock in so it's not like it's completely dried up. They had also got a shipment of ARs in as well.

The problem is most stores have sold probably a years worth of inventory all in days and now everyone is trying to get it all back at once so they can keep cashing in. Naturally that puts a strain on the manufacturers who probably aren't geared up for that kind of sudden short term increase in demand.