The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 13, 2008, 07:47 AM   #26
Creature

If I read your write up correctly, you only had two layers of sheet metal between the plywood? Could you have added a third layer of metal between the third and fourth sheet of plywood? I ask because I am wondering how a third layer of metal would have improved the performance...

Anyway, a very excellent experiment...and something I shall definitely ponder as I prepare for my next home. Thank you very much for posting that.
Old August 13, 2008, 04:36 PM   #27
Cyklopz

Yes, there were only two layers of sheet metal, 16ga welding metal, between the layers of plywood. The original "design" only called for three layers of plywood but due to the form I bought once cut there were four layers of plywood so i just tacked the extra plywood on the back of the prototype. There are many variations on this idea that could be explored depending on cost and weight goals. I was surprised just how effective the design turned out to be. It would have been nice if I had something larger than the 12ga or 9mm to test with that day since none of the test calibers penetrated all the way.

Cy
Old August 13, 2008, 04:53 PM   #28
kurtiss

Man there are some awesome suggestions here. I am pretty confident about my home setup with the dog, alarms, locks etc... I am more worried about if someone gets in, and I have to shoot. I really like the suggestions about the cameras though and am going to look into those. In fact, I'm going to look into several of the suggestions you guys have had. The bookshelves are a great idea, as well as reinforcing the walls. Glad I am not the only one who has thought about this.
Old August 13, 2008, 05:17 PM   #29
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Being able to control ALL the lights in the house from the bedroom would be GREAT. I had never considered such a thing. Pretty hard to rewire after the fact but when I build a new place that will be on the list.
Old August 13, 2008, 05:26 PM   #30
Creature

Quote:
Being able to control ALL the lights in the house from the bedroom would be GREAT. I had never considered such a thing. Pretty hard to rewire after the fact but when I build a new place that will be on the list.
go all the way with "smart-house" technology...which has come a looooong way in ten past few years.
Old August 13, 2008, 05:51 PM   #31
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
go all the way with "smart-house" technology...which has come a looooong way in ten past few years.
Barricade yourself, call 911 and freak out the BG with strobe lights and techno-music whilst you chide him for being scum using a booming, god-like voice over your house-wide PA system.
Old August 13, 2008, 07:28 PM   #32
smokyo

Quote:
Get a GOOD alarm and use it. Train your kids, if old enough, when they hear the alarm, run to daddy's bedroom
I would not count on kids, even teenagers waking consistantly to an alarm. A few months ago a fireman was telling me about kids sleeping through fire alarms and how they are now coming out with smoke detectors that record a parents voice yelling at their kids to wake up. He said these new detectors were much more efffective.

I tested this one night with my younger kids and 13 year old nephew. Neither the smoke alarm or security alarm woke them up...just something to consider.
Old August 13, 2008, 08:28 PM   #33
dabigguns357

Here is something else that you can get for less than 50.00 dollars that will allow you to hear sounds around the house.Most of us have had or currently use baby monitors.If they are not in use in the babies room then place them where you might think they will do the most good,near a front door or window that is exposed.I still have mine and use them,one stays in the boys room and the other in the living room.Hey if nothin else you will know if your kids are sneakin out or not.
Old August 14, 2008, 09:35 PM   #34
mrghostwalker

Simplest way to protect your family-

1) Outside motion lights- some badguys are dumb enough to think you turned on the lights because heard them!

2) Simple noisy house alarm.

3) Get a dog- if you only do one thing- this is it! Badguys HATE dogs! (and dogs hate strange noises- woof!)

4) Teach your kids what to do.

5) Practice with your kids.

6) Practice with your firearm. Don't rely on something complicated. Keep it simple so you will know what to do when things get crazy.
Old August 15, 2008, 12:29 AM   #35
evan1293

What about just loading your handgun with frangibles?
Old August 18, 2008, 06:03 PM   #36
Flyboy_451

Hey guys,

Great topic!! If you are a gun owner and have not thought about this type of thing, then SHAME ON YOU. Here are a some things I teach clients that attend my classes as well as how we handle the situation at home. Just to give a little information on our layout at home, my girlfriends son's room is directly across the hall from ours. This presents a similar situation as to what the original poster was asking about.

1. HAVE A PLAN!! and ensure that all members of the house understand the plan.

2. have a cell phone, and preferably your handgun, ON YOUR PERSON or within easy reach at all times. Phone lines have been known to get cut prior to home invasions.

3. Install an alarm with an audible siren that will still sound if the phone lines are disabled. Even if it doesn't notify a security company or the local police, it will make noise that could end the invasion on the spot. Alarms also have a tendency to wake up neighbors and draw attention.

4. Create a code word or phrase that will communicate to all members of the household that "THE PLAN" is in effect. We use "INTRUDER ALERT!"...very original, don't you think.

5. DO NOT attempt to "clear" your house unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary to insure the safety of an occupant. Clearing a house with a trained team of SWAT officers is a difficult and dangerous task, do not try it own your own!!!

6. Call 911 and STAY ON THE PHONE with the operator until officers arrive. When they do arrive, follow ALL instructions given. Remember, they do not know you and are coming into a potentially dangerous environment.

As for how we deal with the physical problem of the layout of our house. find a place in the room that puts as many barriers between the entry point and the person occupying the room. This position should also not be in a potential "lane of fire" if possible. Instruct the occupant of that room to go to this point and get as low and as small as possible. In Nick's (girlfriend's son) room, this point is the far back corner of his room. It is away from the door, and not in line with a shot fired from our defensive position in the master bedroom through the door. And our defensive position is arranged such that a shot fired from an aggressor trying to gain access to our bedroom would be fired 180 degrees from Nick's general location. While this does not offer armor like protection, it is easily accomplished with planning, and costs nothing.

Other things we have done include the installation of a wireless, battery powered doorbell in Nick's room, with the button located in the master bedroom. This serves as an alarm should an intrusion occur while we are sleeping. We also own the biggest baby of a Rottweiler you have ever seen. He is useless as far as confronting an intruder, but he does bark at things that go bump in the night. This is my preferred type of dog. My personal opinion is that a dog should be friendly to people, including strangers, as this will allow it to interact with people without the fear of someone getting bit and then you getting sued. Most dogs, even those that are not trained for protection, are very protective of "their people".

Oh, almost forgot to mention...Both my girlfriend and I are firearms instructors and Nick has been well trained and is armed as well. before you think I would encourage someone to arm a child, Nick is old enough to purchase his own handgun and has chosen a Kimber Pro Carry.

Fly!!!
Old August 18, 2008, 06:25 PM   #37
Pat-inCO

Try CPTED. It works.
Old August 18, 2008, 06:26 PM   #38
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
3. Install an alarm with an audible siren that will still sound if the phone lines are disabled. Even if it doesn't notify a security company or the local police, it will make noise that could end the invasion on the spot. Alarms also have a tendency to wake up neighbors and draw attention.

Make a note too: Listen to the sound of the alarm system before you have it installed. There's a couple out there that make some weird "Weeep Weeep" sound. It's not enough to scare a 20 year old cat. You want LOUD. There really is no too loud. You WANT the neighbors looking out the window going "What on earth is that noise?!" It's also good (depending on location) to have a siren on the inside AND the outside. I have also seen people hook strobe lights to the alarm. That has GOT to be a surprise.
Old August 18, 2008, 07:17 PM   #39
fjk1911

A plan and practice is essential. So are "safe rooms". Solid wood doors, deadbolts, strong hinges, cover, cellphones and 12 gauge shotguns. I travel extensively, my wife is home alone. We have the best security system money can buy and it is being upgraded next week. She is heavily armed in the bedroom and skilled but when the alarm goes off regardless of where she is in the house she has a "safe room" to (hopefully) get to. She is not to sweep the house. That is what 911 and the panic buttons are for when I am not home. When I am home some BG will wish he never made that decision. When my kids are visiting they know the drill as as well.