The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 29, 2007, 05:40 PM   #1
MikeRussell

Rainier vs Berry's vs Zero

Anyone have experience loading all 3 of these types of plated bullets? I had some Berry's 124gr PFP that I loaded up for my 9mm (over 4.1gr Vv N320 for those interested). They perform very well and give the accuracy I need for the type of shooting that I do (USPSA/IPSC)...actually they give better accuracy than I need, but I digress. I'd tried out some of the Moly/Poly coated bullets, but kept getting buildup in my barrel and I don't feel like having to scrub like crazy to get it out every time I shoot. So, I'm going back to plated bullets.

Is there really any difference between the brands? I can get the Zero's cheaper, but they don't have FP (only RN & HP). Rainier and Berry's have the 124gr FP, but the cost before shipping is what I'd pay for the Zeros INCLUDING shipping. I'm in a dilemma as to whether I should go with RN Zeros (HPs are sold out) or stick with Berry's or Rainier because I can get the FPs. Any input?
Old April 29, 2007, 10:35 PM   #2
Bullet94

I think the Zero’s are jacketed not plated. You might look here -

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

They list - Zero 9mm 125 Flat Point FMJ
Old April 29, 2007, 11:04 PM   #3
shooter_john

I had very BAD luck with a box of Zero 10mm 165gr's, they were not uniform at all and crushed several cases.
I bought a box Berry's next, and I can't say anything but GOOD about Berry's, I didn't change anything on my dies or press from the Zero's and the Berry's went in fine.
No experience with Rainier, but a friend just ordered a few thousand of them, so I'll know soon enough!
Old April 30, 2007, 06:43 AM   #4
CrustyFN

I use Berry's and Ranier and have had good luck with both. Zero is jacketed but I have never used them.
Rusty
Old April 30, 2007, 09:38 AM   #5
VonFatman

Besides Zero's FMJ bullets...

Zero also makes some fine shooting swaged bullets. I use their 158gr SWCs and 148gr. HBWCs all the time and find they make wonderful inexpensive range bullets.

Bob
Old April 30, 2007, 09:40 AM   #6
HSMITH

Zero jacketed bullets are awesome and then some. The only bullet I like better are the Hornady XTP's and they are only marginally more accurate at about twice the price.

Zero bullets shoot great out of my guns, well under an inch at 25 yards in a 9mm with optical sight and easily under 2 out of a couple different 40's.

Plated bullets just suck compared to plain lead or real jacketed bullets. If you are just plinking or shooting short range they work OK but I don't use them at all anymore.
Old April 30, 2007, 09:52 AM   #7
PeteQuad

Excuse my ignorance but can someone tell me the difference between plated and jacketed bullets?

Is one harder on your gun or easier to clean than the other, and what other differences might there be?

I've been eyeing the Rainier bullets from midway, but haven't seen the zero ones. Can someone tell me where they can be found?
Old April 30, 2007, 10:51 AM   #8
Overhill

I have been using Precision Delta jacketed bullets for some time with great success. They seem to be the same cost as plated and shipping is free. They have always been uniform in size and weight, and accurate.
Old April 30, 2007, 09:18 PM   #9
layusn1

Plated bullets use less copper than jacketed so they are often cheaper than name brand jacketed bullets but they afford you little to no leading in your barrel. They are a good compromise between price and performance but some say the sizes of plated bullets can vary because of the plating process and difficulty controlling how much metal gets on the bullet.
Old April 30, 2007, 10:11 PM   #10
Bullet94

Quote:
PeteQuad
I've been eyeing the Rainier bullets from midway, but haven't seen the zero ones. Can someone tell me where they can be found?
See my post above.
Old April 30, 2007, 10:17 PM   #11
Jim Watson

I have been shooting Zero .45 FMJ for some time now.
I did not have good results from Rainier plated, have not tried Berry's.
Old April 30, 2007, 11:23 PM   #12
8ring

In reply to Peterquad, plated bullets begin with a soft lead wire in the approximate diameter of the caliber. A swaging machine cuts the wire and forms the shape of the bullet. It then goes into an electroplating device which coats the entire bullet with a copper covering that may be around .002" thick. Sometime the bullet is "restruck" (resized) after the plating is attached.

(Frontier plated bullets are an expection. They use a hard-cast lead core and then add the copper plating. They give very good accuracy in .45 acp. I'm going to try some of their 147gr 9mm bullets.)

Plated bullets are cleaner than lead bullets because there is no exposed lead. However, plated bullets can be very sensitive to overcrimping (which can break through the plating) and high speeds/high pressures.

Jacketed bullets are made by forming the jacket out of copper, gilding metal, or brass. I think the lead core is poured into the jacket although I may be wrong. Jacketed bullets are harder, less senstive to crimping, and may be used at higher speeds and higher pressures. They are generally considered to be the most accurate pistol bullet. In most "full metal jacket" bullets, the lead base is exposed which can cause lead fumes in the air, a concern if shooting indoors.

Jackets bullets are probably "harder" on the bore than plated or lead bullets. However, with the quality of modern barrels and rifling, it could take tens of thousands of rounds to notice any difference.

Chris
Old May 2, 2007, 08:08 AM   #13
PeteQuad

Thanks for the excellent information re: plating vs. jacketing. I checked powder valley and it looks like zero bullets are not available for .38spl and .44spl which is mainly what I shoot.

I typically use jacketed or semi-jacketed bullets mainly to cut down on the amount of lead I have to clean up, and for generally less exposure to lead. But I do not like that they are rougher on my barrels (I've heard this before, and I am beginning to buy older and older revolvers these days). I am less concerned with accuracy since I doubt they are less accurate than I am

It sounds like the plated bullets would have a similar effect on reducing lead as the jacketed bullets, and be easier on my barrels; would I be accurate in saying this?
Old May 2, 2007, 08:27 AM   #14
Bullet94

Powder Valley lists Zero .357 bullets(38 Special).
Old May 2, 2007, 08:55 AM   #15
PeteQuad

Oh right, thanks That's what I get for looking early in the morning.
Old May 2, 2007, 03:48 PM   #16
PeteQuad

Quote:
Frontier plated bullets are an expection. They use a hard-cast lead core and then add the copper plating.
I've been looking into this plating stuff. The frontier bullets are made by a South African company and the only people I can find that sell them are Black Hills Shooters supply, who only sell to someone with a FFL. Is there anywhere else that sells them? Can someone give me a general idea of what the pricing is like so I can see if I am interested (possibly speak to my local FFL about them if they are cheap enough).

Thanks!
Old May 3, 2007, 11:33 PM   #17
epr105

I get the Frontier from T and T reloading in PA LINK http://216.15.64.227/
Phone call (610) 759-1449 for hours
I have been geting my stuff from him for years Good People.
Old May 4, 2007, 12:00 PM   #18
ECLIPSE45ACP

I use Ranier exclusively, and have had nothing but good luck.
"SPEAK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG GUN!"
Old March 16, 2008, 10:52 PM   #19
skydiver41

Rainiers must be too soft

This is an old thread but I wanted to share what I learned today in hopes that I may help to prevent an injury or damaged gun to others. I own 3 Glock 9mm's...a 34, 17 and a 26. Titegroup is my powder of choice. Hodgdon lists a 4.8 grain max for 115 grains bullets. I had safely worked up to 4.7 grains with both Winchester 115 JHPs and 115 FMJs. Not knowing much about the difference between jacketing and plating I assumed that there wasn't much of a difference. You all know what happens when we assume. I loaded up 200 rounds of 4.7 Titegroup over Rainier 115 JHPs.

I went to the range with trusty chronograph in hand expecting to see some nice, juicy 1200 plus readings and an effective new carry round. What I got was a stung hand and 3 case blowouts. DO NOT TRY THIS! All I can say is that the plated bullets must be causing pressure spikes well before the jacketed bullets so beware.
Old March 16, 2008, 11:35 PM   #20
Sevens

Well, the Ranier website itself will warn you against trying to push these bullets too fast. "Plated bullets occupy a space between lead bullets and jacketed bullets." I think they recommend 1000 fps or less.

Plated bullets are definitely not jacketed. Compared to jacketed, the plating is micro-thin.
Old March 17, 2008, 12:12 AM   #21
skydiver41

Yes

You are right...they do warn against this. Basically I am admitting in public that I am a dumba$$ for not doing my research before loading up. I was lucky that I didn't get hurt or destroy my pistols in the process. As a form of self-punishment and also an attempt at heroics I sacrifice my pride in an attempt at saving another fellow shooter from the fate that I narrowly escaped!

Be safe out there! DON'T TRY TO PUSH PLATED BULLETS TO THE VELOCITIES THAT JACKETED BULLETS ARE CAPABLE OF!!! I am actually a fairly experienced reloader. Complacency got the best of me this week. I won't let it happen again.
Old March 17, 2008, 01:09 AM   #22
Sevens

Appreciated!

I think we oughta start a thread where we all admit to something we've done at the bench that wasn't bright in the hopes of helping the next guy.
Old March 17, 2008, 01:48 AM   #23
skydiver41

Yes

That's pretty much what I was thinking when I decided to share this screwup. Up until now the only signs of approaching pressure limits I ever witnessed were a couple of pierced primers in my HP Silhouette rifle. Today was humbling.

In skydiving we often remind one another that "complacency kills". It can happen in this sport too. Pay attention or pay the price.
Old March 19, 2008, 12:32 AM   #24
Bullet94

I think I read when using plated bullets to use the loading data for lead bullets and work up from there.
Old March 19, 2008, 01:10 AM   #25
freakshow10mm

Yes, use lead data or back off jacketed by 10%.

I've ran Rainier 155gr FP to 1400fps in 10mm with no issues.