The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 25, 2001, 06:35 PM   #1
TheActor

Help needed identifying early 1911 gov

I'm trying to find some info on a 1911 colt serial number 12536. It's an early model with the diamond cut wood grips. I did have a list of serial numbers that put it at 1913. How can I check to see if the barrel and slide match the receiver? It's been in my family for decades I think it's time to decide whether to shoot it anymore or lock it up. The patent dates on the slide go from 1897 to 1913 Colt manufacturing PTFA or PIFA can't really see the stamping clearly. Any help would be appreciated or point me to a smith in NC that may be able to help.
Old November 27, 2001, 01:24 AM   #2
Navy joe

http://www.coltautos.com/cahome.htm proof marks galore

http://www.1911forum.com/ Shrine of the faithful
Old November 27, 2001, 04:32 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Actor,

FWIW, my list shows 1912 manufacture, so the slide is not original. The frame should have the inspector marking WGP (Walter G. Penfield) in a circle on the right, behind the trigger. The serial number should be on the left above the trigger and "United Stated Property" to the front.

The slide original to the pistol with that serial number should be marked "Model of 1911 U.S. Navy" (not "Army") and not have the 1913 patent date. The 1913 date was added in early 1914 at about number 83856.

Colt's PT. F.A. Mfg. Co., stands for Colt's Patent Firearms Manufacturing Company, the full name of the company at that time.

You don't mention condition, but since it is not original, I see no reason not to shoot it if it is otherwise OK.

Jim