The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 13, 2014, 05:25 AM   #1
eastbank

last sporting clays shoot of the year

yesterday our gun club had their last shoot along with a pig roast after and it was crowded all day and a super day it was, sunny and bright. there were six in our squad and scores were 84 (rem versamac) for the high to a 51(franchi o/u) for a low out of 100(two rounds), i shot my browning o/u trapgun leaving it set up for trap and shot a 66-100, not my best and not my worst. it sure was a fun day, good sport,good friends and good food. eastbank.
Old October 13, 2014, 09:30 AM   #2
4 Paws

This winter sporting clays is on my to do list. Do most tend to use their same gun from trap or skeet?
Old October 13, 2014, 10:17 AM   #3
eastbank

i shoot a browning o/u that i have shooting very flat and a rem 1100 set up the same way for sporting clays, i just wanted to try my browning set up for trap(higher POI) and it didn,t due to bad. i used a IC and SKEET tubes and if i was on the clays broke. eastbank.
Old October 13, 2014, 12:30 PM   #4
BigJimP

If you're serious about shooting Trap .....then most guys will have a dedicated Trap gun.../ .....but the reason is, they want to "float" the bird above the rib of the gun .../ so the Point of Impact or center of pattern on a Trap gun is typically set up so you have about 60% - 70% of the pellets above the center and 30% - 40% below the center....so you can Float the target and not lose sight of the target by covering it with the barrel....

Because the angles ...max left and right ....are not that wide a swing on Trap...vs Skeet and Sporting Clays....most of us tend to shoot longer and heavier guns for Trap ...over Skeet and Sporting. The heavier guns for Trap ...help smooth out our swing for that game ...but a 10 lb gun tends to get too heavy and clumsy for wider angles like on Skeet or Sporting...

A lot of Trap guns will be 32" or 34" barrels and up around 10 lbs..../ vs a more general use gun ( like a Skeet or Sporting clays gun ) where we might tend to use an 8 lb gun with 30" barrels.

A lot of us will use one gun ( with the same weight and length ) for upland bird hunting, Skeet and Sporting Clays and 5 Stand..../ and a dedicated Trap gun...that would just feel a little too heavy and clumsy for games other than Trap....

-------------
But yes, if you're just a casual shooter....stay with one gun...for all the games and don't lose any sleep over it.