The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 6, 2009, 09:11 AM   #1
Scout

Stinky pork

I make it a point of never shooting a large boar hog as the meat will be unfit to eat. I like to kill sows and smaller hogs. I killed a little male this past weekend and the meat stinks like he was a 350 pounder. Does anyone have a reliable method for preparing wild pork when its got the "boar stank.?" I'd hate to waste it or have to give it to my hillbilly father in law...
Old November 6, 2009, 09:30 AM   #2
Bigfatts

Put it in a big ice chest for 3 or 4 days, make sure all the blood and nastyness gets out of it. Before cooking it you can soak it in: milk, salt water, beer, etc to help get the funk out. I can't attest to effectiveness as I've never dealt with stanky meat, but those are all things I've been told. A buddy of mine swears by Dr Pepper...
Old November 6, 2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Doyle

+1 on the soaking. Adding either salt or an acid helps to leach out the smell. For an acid, vinegar works good but so does cans of cheap frozen orange juice.
Old November 6, 2009, 11:06 AM   #4
2damnold4this

I agree. A brine or marinade is a good idea. I like apple cider vinegar, water, salt, and brown sugar for a marinade. When it's time to cook, add some black pepper and fresh rosemary.
Old November 6, 2009, 11:37 AM   #5
Scout

Thanks so much!

Last edited by Scout; November 6, 2009 at 11:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old November 6, 2009, 11:44 AM   #6
Wild Bill Bucks

Rule of thumb here in SE Okahoma, is when you stick the knife in to gut it, and it stinks, roll it over and leave it to the buzzards. If it has the usual gutting smell, then the meat will be fine, but with all the problems you can have with wild meat, if it don't smell right, it just ain't worth the chance of it not being good to eat. There are to many hogs in this part of the country to waste time on one that is Iffy.
Old November 6, 2009, 12:33 PM   #7
rr2241tx

You've probably already figured out that your wife can't understand what all the fuss is about. It's pig pheromones. Boars all worked up trying to breed are only fit for coyote bait. No amount of soaking, marinade or seasoning will make it so a man can stand it. Just shoot another one until you get one you can gut without whitewashing your own shoes. There's no shortage, they breed like rabbits and it only takes one boar to service a big herd of sows.
Old November 6, 2009, 02:58 PM   #8
Scorch

It's called "must" flavor, and they cannot be de-"stank"ed. Boars of any size will get that way when they are breeding, but the larger ones are bad that way.
Old November 6, 2009, 03:50 PM   #9
simonkenton

I am with Wild Bill, throw that stinking hog to the buzzards and cut your losses before you waste any more time and money.

I have eaten off of 40 or 50 wild hogs and it is the best meat I have ever eaten, wild game or store bought.

But....
One day my buddy shot a 450 pound boar, that was so nasty we couldn't eat it. Even the dog wouldn't eat it.
Had to toss it all.

But, as Clint Eastwood said in Outlaw Josey Wales, "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms."
Old November 6, 2009, 05:28 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

That's what my good friend Joe refers to as "Pig Nut Bacon".

His solution: Don't shoot it.
-- If you do shoot it, leave it.

Alternate solution: Trap it, castrate it, pen the animal, feed it corn for a month, and then slaughter.
Old November 6, 2009, 09:38 PM   #11
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Trouble with penning it is they don't stay penned very well and if you have domestic pigs you had best quarantine it to make sure you aren't spreading disease. Have to go with the shootem and let him feed the wild life. That's what coyotes, crows and buzzards are for.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 7, 2009, 09:13 AM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Boars that are musky can be cleaned up.

Some details were left out when the soaking was mentioned...
You keep the meat covered by ice, draining nasty water once per day and topping back up with ice. Failure to do so can result in less than stellar results.

Small boars that are musky are sexually mature but not likely getting to breed much as the big boars run them off from the in heat sows.

As for penning, they can be penned easily but the pen has to be "Horse high and hog tight... I can provide details to building a decent pen.

Brent
Old November 7, 2009, 09:21 AM   #13
trooper3385

I shoot quite a few hogs because our place here in South Texas is overrun with them. In the past, if it was a boar over about 50 lbs, it stays where in fell. I. Found a friend of mine that has some foreign exchange students that will tear that stuff up now. Doesn't matter if it's a 350 lb boar that's been gut shot for 2 days. You always wondered where the tamales came from that you liked so much?