The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

View Poll Results: What would you shoot the last day of the season?
Spike or three horn buck 6 66.67%
Button buck 6 66.67%
Doe 8 88.89%
Turkey 4 44.44%
Rabbit 5 55.56%
Coyote 4 44.44%
Feral dog or cat 3 33.33%
Dog pack that is after your chickens (owned but roaming) 3 33.33%
Crow...harmless but it has you spotted 3 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 30, 2005, 12:43 PM   #1
MeekAndMild

What If?

What if it were the last day of deer season and you've been skunked the whole year? What if you were sitting up in your tree stand waiting for the big buck you'd seen there before, but then...

A critter comes up and you realize if you shoot it then the big buck will not come today. It is legal to shoot said critter. The critter is either desirable to hunt for its own sake or desirable to remove from the ecosystem. Would you shoot it?

YOU CAN VOTE ON MORE THAN ONE.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old January 30, 2005, 12:52 PM   #2
Rojoe67

yes and no

Yes if I was bow hunting no if I was rifle or shotgun hunting.....

It depends on what the critter is? a yote is going down but a bunny is safe and sound......

Just me........

Big bucks DO get harvested on the last day..... A good bud of mine got a dandy 10 point whitetail in a misty, cold last day of deer season a few years ago..... He said he had about a half hour left before dark......
Old January 30, 2005, 01:03 PM   #3
Edward429451

I'd hold out for what my tag was and go small gaming later. Lots of animals are taken on the last day. My son got his elk on last day within 1/2 hour of dusk.
Old January 31, 2005, 07:45 PM   #4
Trapp

umm......That was me this season. I missed a robin at 80 yards with my BP. What a crappy season. Oh and sunday (the real last day of the season), when I went to the range to resight my -06 I saw a 6 point walk 20 yds away from me behind the bullet trap..........I was sooooooo Pisseed.......
Old January 31, 2005, 08:36 PM   #5
MeekAndMild

Looks like the poll has a serious flaw. It doesn't have a space for "None of the above. I'm holding out for the big bucks!"
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old January 31, 2005, 10:54 PM   #6
impact

I gota go with MeekAndMild on this one. If I don't see a big buck on the last day! Oh well! I will be back for coyotes and pigs. I don't go to the woods just to kill a deer or anything that may be a target. I did not vote. I will hold off on coyotes and pigs till after deer season.
Old February 2, 2005, 07:46 PM   #7
Jseime

yotes better watch it

i really have a thing against coyotes o if it were a coyote he'd take one but i think a rabbit would be safe in front of my .270 its not worth the cost of a shot. any deer might get it depending on time of day im not just a big buck guy. i think this one could lead to some interesting points of view being shared so keep em comin