The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 17, 2015, 11:04 PM   #1
cajundefender

Shell storage question

I keep one of my ammo cans filled with small packs of ammunition, enough for one reload. I have used paper in the past to store enough ammo for one reload. I wish to do the same with the shotgun shells, but nine 00 is bit hard to fit in a folded and taped piece of paper. I then thought about aluminum foil, which appears to work well. My question is do you think the aluminum foil will harm the shells in any way? The paper works great, but that is similar to the cardboard they come in, so I am wondering about aluminum. If you are wondering why a box isn't good enough, it's because I find it easier and more convenient to stash flat packs in my range bag than trying to find room for a box. Just me being weird I guess...
Old January 18, 2015, 12:38 AM   #2
Bake

If this is for short term storage, why not?
Old January 18, 2015, 01:24 AM   #3
Dreaming100Straight

Aluminum foil works great; not only keeping you clean and dry but shielding your thoughts from the intrusive probes beamed down from the black helicopters.
Old January 18, 2015, 10:58 AM   #4
edfrompa

I am lost
Old January 18, 2015, 11:02 AM   #5
rkittine

I am lost too. What are you putting in foil or paper RELOADED round or rounds for reloading? Or components i.e. 00 assume buck shot.

Bob
Old January 18, 2015, 11:39 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

I shall assume that "enough for one reload" means "enough ammo to reload the gun once" and not, "enough components to reload the fired case once".

I think your mention of nine 00 buckshot confused people. 9 "00" pellets is the standard load in a 12 gauge. is that what you are talking about? Or does your shotgun hold 9 shells?

If you are talking about "bundling" one gun's worth of ammo together for storage, using paper, tin foil, plastic, or any other common material, go ahead. You won't hurt anything simply by your choice of materials (no tape, nothing leaving residue on the shells).

The conditions of storage are more important than the material your "ammo pack" is made of. Normal conditions (dry, not in direct sunlight, protected from temperature extremes) matters more than paper or plastic (or aluminum)

If you are worried about corrosion from storage of dis-similar metals in contact with each other (like linked machinegun ammo) this is not a short term concern, it takes years/decades for that to be an issue, if it ever is.
Old January 18, 2015, 03:15 PM   #7
cajundefender

My apologies for the lack of information. I wish to place nine 00 buckshot shells in one package, which will be one complete reload for my 8+1 shotgun. I am concerned about aluminum contacting the brass and the primer for long periods of time. I did realize that I could still use paper and then place the foil over the paper to give the package strength. I mainly wanted to ensure that the aluminum would not have any negative effects on the cartridge, and the previous post addressed this. Thank you.
Old January 18, 2015, 03:28 PM   #8
markshere2

Galvanic / dielectric corrosive effects occur when dissimilar metals come into contact.

This WILL be an issue for you, given enough time.

Paper/cardboard packaging exists for a great reason - it' is cheap and harmless to the contents. But is is not moisture resistant.

Plastic bags ( baggies / ziplocks) provide superior moisture resistance.

I put OEM containers into plastic bags inside metal ammo cans.

A great custom gun shop: http://petersongunrepair.com
Old January 18, 2015, 04:37 PM   #9
Bake

Can you still find "Wax Paper"?
Old January 19, 2015, 08:44 PM   #10
FITASC

Food vacuum sealer also works well.

Tags
foil , range , range bag , shells , storage