The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 16, 2013, 08:14 PM   #1
SC4006

What is a "Magazine Clip"?

I always hear this term said by the media, "magazine clip". I've heard of magazines and clips, but not one of these things. It must be used to hold reading magazines or something... right? Well putting sarcasm aside, I think that if the media is going to constantly attack gun owners and firearms, they should AT LEAST get their terms right, because right now they are making themselves look pretty stupid. (but what else is new).

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old January 16, 2013, 08:24 PM   #2
tyme
Staff

http://www.remington.com/products/ac...zine-clip.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/r...prod10960.aspx

Posit: the term "magazine clip" is a SEO hyper-optimization, because it allows people to find what they're looking for whether they call it a clip or a magazine.

There are some other possibilities:

1. They have no idea what they're talking about, and "magazine clip" sounds better than "clip clip" or "magazine magazine". I wouldn't put a gun company above doing something stupid. There's the infamous scan of an H&K USP ad showing rounds loaded into a magazine backwards.

2. They're confused, and are thinking of a dual or triple magazine holder/band that allows magazines to be held side by side. Although I've never seen one of those things called a "magazine clip", I suppose that might be a logical term for it.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old January 16, 2013, 08:40 PM   #3
lefteye

OMG Who at Remington named this a magazine clip. It doesn't take a genius to know the difference - just a little fundamental knowledge.
Old January 16, 2013, 08:50 PM   #4
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I figured it was a clip you put on the top of a page in a magazine to mark your place...lol. Sorry I had to.

I know Remington now calls certain magazines, magazine clips.. It is still a pet peeve of mine to hear the words high capacity clips...
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old January 16, 2013, 08:53 PM   #5
UtahHunting

Let's be honest, everyone knows exactly what they are referring to whether they use the term magazine, clip, or magazine clip. In my opinion constantly criticizing the ignorant on the terms only makes us gun owners look more extreme, and we don't need any more of that right now.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:05 PM   #6
hardworker

I agree with UtahHunting. Pointing out semantics doesn't do anyone any favors.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:17 PM   #7
lefteye

I agree with Posts 5 & 6, but I was referring to Remington, not an anti-gun person or organization. I believe gun manufacturers and owners should be accurate in their statements, including advertising.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:17 PM   #8
tyme
Staff

(no copyright; feel free to alter; PM me if you want high-res source for some reason)
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old January 16, 2013, 09:19 PM   #9
lefteye

excellent And I suspect Remington uses both in their offices.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:37 PM   #10
StukaJU87

Ignoring ignorant people doesn't make them right, it only makes it harder for future generations.

That being said, news reporters should be forced to use the correct terminology, regardless of what they are reporting. They should be held to the highest standards and punished when they fall short. After all, the "news" is where most people receive their education, so why shouldn't they be treated as teachers and held to the same standards?
Old January 16, 2013, 10:27 PM   #11
Alabama Shooter

Don't be silly:

It clips magazines together.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:40 PM   #12
lefteye

Finally a way to over-power the bad guys with a .22 (with very short breaks for changing clipped magazines)!!!
Old January 16, 2013, 10:40 PM   #13
TheBigO

thank you both for the funny pictures----It has kinda been a bummer of a day
Old January 16, 2013, 11:05 PM   #14
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Tyme, priceless, I love it.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old January 16, 2013, 11:06 PM   #15
Panfisher

OK so what is an SEO Hyper optimization, sounds like something I might want to add to my truck to increase fuel mileage.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:29 PM   #16
lefteye

I could be (and probably am) wrong, but I figured
Quote:
SEO Hyper optimization
was an App for my relatively stupid phone.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:33 PM   #17
SPEMack618

Obviously, they were talking about assualt clips...

Our very own Tom Servo has a great write up here....

[warning: avoid fluids while reading]

Assualt Clips
Old January 16, 2013, 11:59 PM   #18
9mm

Dunno, I don't own a "Magazine clip" or "bullets" I only have Magazines and I load cartridges into my magazines not "bullets". If there is a so called ban I am not affected because I do not own "magazine clips" or "bullets to go in them".

@reply to picture

Yeah, see I don't own that, I only have the 25 round butler creek magazines for my 10/22. That right there could be down right illegal those darn "magazine clips".
Old January 17, 2013, 12:10 AM   #19
PlungerLips

A magazine clip? I guess it would be a damaged magazine that holds ammo, but will no longer feed it reliably? Maybe repair it or throw it out
Old January 17, 2013, 12:14 AM   #20
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I think it's the shoulder thing that folds up ...
Old January 17, 2013, 12:24 AM   #21
MarkDozier

" In my opinion constantly criticizing the ignorant on the terms only makes us gun owners look more extreme, and we don't need any more of that right now. "

In my opinion this is crowerdance. So what if it makes you know more exterme.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:40 AM   #22
BarryLee

It is frustrating when you realize we are debating issues related to firearms with some folks that have no knowledge of the subject. I heard a commentator today state that while he supports the Second Amendment, “no one needs a semi-auto for hunting or self defense”. What?

Obviously he has most likely confused full-auto with semi-auto which has resulted in him pushing to ban the wrong product. I know many of the anti-gun groups are knowledgeable, but they are using the general public’s lack of knowledge against us.

That is why it is important for us to educate people without sounding too condescending.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 17, 2013, 09:31 AM   #23
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
In my opinion constantly criticizing the ignorant on the terms only makes us gun owners look more extreme, and we don't need any more of that right now.
Go to your auto mechanic and tell him you are having problems with your tire. After he checks all your tires point to the steering wheel and tell him it is loose. Hilarity will ensue.
Old January 17, 2013, 10:07 AM   #24
carguychris

Bad pun alert...

Tyme posted this picture:
Quote:
I know that NY gun owners are only allowed to own 7 round magazine clips. The problem is, I can't figure out where I can buy a single round magazine, much less 7 of them! All of the magazines on the racks at my local stores are rectangular!

[EDIT: Never mind. I figured it out. I have to roll them up. But then it's easier to use a rubber band than a magazine clip... ]

Last edited by carguychris; January 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old January 17, 2013, 10:19 AM   #25
specs

Although the idiots probably never heard of them, I own about 150 clips. Stripper clips, that is. I suppose they could be called magazine clips.