The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 18, 2002, 06:21 PM   #1
HKguy9

US Flag shoulder patches

Hi,

I'm looking for a tan subdued shoulder patch...I can only find OD and black ones.

For you militaria and ex-military people, which shoulder am I supposed to wear it on and what orientatioN? What goes on the left shoulder? Unit? Thanks.
Old January 18, 2002, 07:14 PM   #2
Watchman

Ive never seen a tan subdued patch of the flag. I wear a flag on my uniform(sherriffs deputy). It is on the right arm and the stars are facing towards the back.

Sherriff Dept. insignia is on the left shoulder.
Old January 18, 2002, 07:59 PM   #3
Kermit

Skunk -
I found a variety of flag patches at a military surplus store. I believe there is a store in Orange, maybe they can help.
Old January 18, 2002, 08:01 PM   #4
HKguy9

Which one, the Uniform Center? I was just there yesterday...was looking for hiking boots but they only had police/military boots. Didn't think to look for patches. If not, which store, and let me know which city (if it's not Orange) so I can look them up.
Old January 18, 2002, 08:14 PM   #5
Kermit

Not sure of the name of the place, just saw it one day driving to the City Hall of Orange...it is a military surplus place tho. I know there's a military supply place in Pomona on Garey that sells patches.
There is also a gun shop/ camping supply place in Costa Mesa, they might sell patches.
Hope that helps
Old January 19, 2002, 02:19 PM   #6
tc556guy

I think this looks tan on the screen, although they call it subddued:

http://www.shomer-tec.com/item.cfm?variable=614
Old January 19, 2002, 06:36 PM   #7
Pat Rogers
Member in memoriam

U.S. Flag

Erick is once again correct on the orientation of the flag- the stars are towards te front- period.

Generally, US Military purchase their shoulder flags from a vendor.
Vanguard is one that we use now. They make both right and left oriented flags in bright, od, and tan.

Those involved in certain units have a flag that is IR reflective to aid in identifying certain members in or about a crisis site.

The US flag is generally not worn on garrison uniforms. The Marine Corps will wear them on certain operations on their utility jackets, or in the case of Force, on the flight or assault suits- all on the left side.

Certain units will wear them on both sleeves, again in order to aid in ID at the crisis site.

Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com
Old January 20, 2002, 12:48 AM   #8
VaughnT

Stars to the front!

www.galls.com has them, but I don't know about a tan color.

Thanks for the patriotic display.
Old January 20, 2002, 01:14 AM   #9
HKguy9

Think I found some reverse tan ones (right shoulder)...thanks!

What shoulder is a good civvie to wear it?

Also, why do some have velcro backings? WHy would you take it off?

My older jacket had a US flag and a Confederate Air Force patch on it.
Old January 20, 2002, 01:42 AM   #10
Bud Helms

The velcro allows the uniformed service member to "sanitize" his/her uniform prior to a mission into hostile territory.

I was never permitted to wear a flag that was not red, white and blue.
Old January 20, 2002, 07:54 AM   #11
Pat Rogers
Member in memoriam

Velcro

Skunkabilly,

Again- the flag is not always worn. Velcro permits easy on- off, and allows one flag to be used on multiple utility/ assault jackets.
In some units the flag is IR reflective and used as an identifier at a crisis site. That same IR reflective flag would be contraindicated during deep reconnaissance missions.

Sanitization is kind of catchy, but deniability is something used infrequently (outside of video games and mystery novels). A body recovered w/o a US flag identifier can still be exposed as US by a variety of means.

The Army wears a number of insignia on their uniform including rank, unit insignia, skills badges etc. Some units wear nothing on their BDU's while in the field.
Marines wear pin on rank, with pin on skills badges except while in the field.
Until the late 80's Marines didn't have sewn on branch of service or name tapes.
I always knew what my name was...

The bottom line is that when going to the field, those in certain units wear nothing on their utility jackets so as not to destroy a "good" set of utilities that can be used in the rear, where some things are required.

Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com
Old January 20, 2002, 09:32 AM   #12
Gewehr98

My flight suit flag is velcro-attached.

For sanitization purposes, as is my command patch, nametag, and unit patch. But we sanitize to a greater degree than just ditching the flag patch prior to sorties...

Neural Misfires
Old January 20, 2002, 09:42 AM   #13
Edward429451

Anybody know where to get a subdued patch that says 'Don't tread on me'? I think its its half circular.
Old January 20, 2002, 11:30 PM   #14
HKguy9

So I guess my question is, if I am a civvy and want to wear a flag patch for the hell of it (badass tactical look? ) would it be proper to wear it on my right shoulder union facing forward, velcro attached, provided I'm not going into BG territory and zap goblins (i.e. everyday wear) or is it improper etiquette?
Old January 22, 2002, 05:14 AM   #15
David Park

Skunkabilly, I think you'll be OK if you're respecting the flag. I'd rather see people who think the flag is "badass" than viewing it as a symbol of oppression. :barf:

Most "flag etiquette" concerns the handling of an actual flag, not letting one touch the ground for example, and I take that pretty seriously. Use of flag patches (or other flag replicas) is a little more flexible. Any patch used by the military should be fine for civilians as well. Keep in mind the military has regulations for everything, including all articles of clothing, so they shouldn't necessarily be used as a benchmark for civilians.

Here's what the US Code has to say:
Quote:
No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
http://www.usflag.org/us.code36.html
Old July 20, 2012, 03:30 PM   #16
Segami21

American flag patch

The American flag patch in the military has the field of stars to the front. If you take it from the arm and put it to the cover it looks reversed. This is correct, The stars are always facing toward the battlefield not away. America never retreats

Thanks
Peter
Old July 20, 2012, 04:52 PM   #17
Pahoo

Aimpoint

Contact Aimpoint and see if they still have some. The one I got is basically tan with velcro sewn on the back. It basically measures 2-1/4" by 3-1/4". They were handing them out, in St. Louis.. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 20, 2012, 04:56 PM   #18
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

This thread is 10 years dead....
Closed Thread