The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 7, 2012, 06:59 PM   #26
Mike Irwin
Staff

"To me, the case appears to have been fired in an oversize chamber, or even a .222 Rem or Rem. Mag."

That kind of case fracture is not indicative of an oversized chamber, nor does there appear to be any case deformation.

A split from an oversized chamber also wouldn't look like an aerial map of the Mississippi River.

As I said, I've seen this numerous times in the past -- it's a flaw in the brass, either bad brass, an inclusion in the brass, or locked in stress that wasn't relieved during annealing.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 7, 2012, 09:59 PM   #27
Shotgun693

I've never had brass split like that but about 33 years ago I opened a brand new box of WW .357 Mag ammo and found that in 5 of the rounds the bullet was upside down. Of the 45 rounds left of that box 5 rounds wouldn't fire at all. I always figured at a box of rejects some how got out of the factory by accident???
Old April 8, 2012, 10:43 PM   #28
sc928porsche

I had some Norma in 6.5 Jap do that. Headspace was ok, but chamber was oversize in diameter. I rechambered to 6.5x308. It was a rifle that dad picked up on the "Canal".