The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 4, 2007, 07:30 PM   #1
sm

Parking Lots

Kept 3 ladies from having purses snatched and possibly "worse" today.

Mom is recovering from surgery, we did a quick Doctor's visit and one quick trip to Grocery Store.
She has a problem walking anyway, so I did not feel bad for using her car and handicapped hang tag at the Mom & Pop Grocery for her benefit and being honest - safety.
I can move , scoot, evade and all, I cannot just let her stand there and be a victim, so I am being honest this taking care of one physically limited is difficult where staying safe is concerned.
Flat wore her out. So I get her home and comfy.

See some years ago one of Mom's oldest friends since she come to a big city, I guess near 60 years of friendship, had a purse snatched on a parking lot, she died from complications of injuries in the fall, being kicked and hit.

Mom really needs some stuff and wants some stuff from a Bigger Chain Grocery Store.

I head out in my truck.

Now the deal for a bit here is, Vehicles that were not OEM with auto-opening trunks have them.
Seems license plates are missing, or badly obscured when this after market "convenience" is installed.

Real easy to snatch a purse, toss into trunk, car drives off...or
Dope buyer tosses cash into Dealer's car, dealer tosses dope into buyer's vehicle. Pretty slick set up.

Anywho I am walking towards Store and two ladies are "struggling" getting out to lot where handicapped parking is.
One has a cane, the other a walker, and nobody I guess to carry out and assist with groceries exists anymore...

Oh one unarmed Security Personal - that was nowhere to be seen...

I got 3 "youths" in a car, trunk is opened, two youths get out and are stalking. I mean it was obvious these youths were homing in on these two ladies.

"Nanny!!" I yelled out and headed over b/t cars in a pretty good stride.
I dunno, I needed to make a strong verbal command /warning/ distraction, and "nanny" made sense at the time.

I guess I should remind folks I am a 52 y/o white guy.
These two ladies are black. Nice ladies, see them all the time around where mom lives.

Two youths get in car, cuss me, and burn rubber.
I would have gotten the plates, except they did not have any .
I got the color and other descriptions though.

Ladies were really scared. This had been a fear of theirs. They were not carrying purses, instead just a small wallet with ID and money.
We had a chat, and ...it really is a bad feeling to know you get old, feel vulnerable and losing independence.

Yeah, I followed them home, even unloaded the car...

Go back and get what mom wanted for supper and other stuff.
I look and notice this other older lady I recognize and
Again, no grocery carry out.
She uses a cane and heading out to manage best can.

Now we have a guy and gal looking real suspicious. I noticed them in the store casing folks, like looking for a purse left in a buggy or something.

They are fixated on this older lady putting up her money in a little wallet going in her dress pocket.

These two did not see me, rolled my cart up rather 'brisk' b/t them and lady and " Hey babe, wanna go JitterBugging tonight?"

That will get a guy and gal about to pounce, to back off.
Also a lady to about lose her breath , and crack up laughing.

She was scared.
She laughed to keep from getting a tear...which she did get teary eyed anyway.
Again her fear is getting popped while out. Just a little petite white lady with a four footed cane.
We chatted, got her stuff loaded up, and she promised to make better arrangements.

Great, I gotta date with a 82 y/o woman and I can't dance, much less do the Jitterbug.

Steve
Old June 4, 2007, 07:47 PM   #2
starshooter231

Good job Steve. Now if we only had more people like you out there the world would be a better place.
Old June 4, 2007, 08:19 PM   #3
DouglasW

Thanks for relating this, sm. I'm glad you were there, and aware. It's always valuable to hear about dicey situations and good strategies for diffusing them.
Old June 4, 2007, 10:30 PM   #4
ConcealCarryNY

To bad this won't be all over the news like the incidents where no one helped. More news like this would make people actually consider helping others. BZ
Old June 6, 2007, 08:01 PM   #5
Stevie-Ray

Nice going, Steve. We don't have too much trouble like that around here, but I still watch for it. I hear ya on being able to evade but not with a handicapped person in tow. My wife is handicapped and while I'm fully capable still at 51, we simply can't run from trouble anymore. It was the main reason I wanted to carry a gun. We've been like this for over 25 years, yet I've been able to carry for only 6, due to the idiots that govern this state.
Old June 6, 2007, 08:25 PM   #6
sm

Thanks for the kind words.

I posted :
1. Reminder to us all to ever be watchful and think out of the box in regard to being out and about.
2. How raised - what you do.

The Reality is, this should not be news.
It should not even have to be suggested it be on the news.

Responsible Men & Women, just do the right thing - period.

While this Forum and others have a Mission Statement of Responsible Firearm Ownership ; WE as decent human beings with Integrity , Morals, Ethics and Principles do the Right Thing.
Or We should.

I am saddened these values do not seem to be handed down, taught and parented.

Further saddened some never ever think of others, not only Physically Limited, being in situations until they "get a gun", "get a CCW", and "get on a forum".

Folks used to get involved , know their neighbors, assist one another. Folks taking personal responsibility for themselves and stepping up when others were down.
In like turn when they were down, others stepped up to assist them.

It used to be a person would assist another out and about, maybe change a flat, jump start a car, or even just walk in or out of a store no meddling, not in close personal distance, just "keeping tabs" , making sure all stayed safe.

This would be reciprocated with someone assisting you, or family in like turn.

What goes around - comes around.

"But times have changed Steve."

Responsible Men & Women don't. Check your history.

It may be your grandparents, parents, wife, husband, daughter or son that might be the recipient of someone else's stepping up.

To keep it - give it away.

Steve
Old June 6, 2007, 08:35 PM   #7
springmom

Well done. The question of Cain, "am I my brother's keeper?" is too often these days presumed to have the answer of NO.

You did good.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old June 6, 2007, 09:02 PM   #8
armedandsafe

Good job! I once saw a similar situation going down when I lived in San Diego. I was too far away to get involved in time. I reached into the back seat and snagged my camera with the long lens and propped it up in front of my face. Then I reached in and hit the car horn and held it down. The wannabe perps turned to look and saw the camera pointed at them. The next thing I saw in the viewfinder was rubber dust coming from their tires.

Oh, what they didn't know was that I was headed into the store to get film.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old June 6, 2007, 09:19 PM   #9
sm

Today.

Mom is home from surgery.
Her area has deteriorated a bit to say the least.
Times have changed.
She uses a Mom&Pop Drug Store near where she lives.

Doctors called in some 'scripts, and it was time to refill some 'scripts mom was due to refill anyway.

-We will continue to have an increase in our Geriatric Society.
-Geriatrics are prey.

So off I go to get these 'scripts.
I made arrangements years ago with this Drug Store in the event I needed to get 'scripts, for mom and use one of mom's checks.
I have this arrangement for non-family friends as well.
They still had me on file, and remembered this, still they appreciated me coming in to ID myself before I took mom in for surgery.

Now the deal here is, BGs see folks leave Drug Stores, Banks , similar , and especially Elderly folks.
I mean pretty easy to spot handicapped license plates anywhere in handicapped parking spots.

I insisted mom get the Hang Tag instead of plate for handicapped, so when she is just going down the road, she is not targeted.

I get the meds, fill in the check, sign the book and I have "youths" watching the drug store. I see a driver, a passenger and then finally a third in the back seat.

I decided to stay in the Drug Store for a bit. Two male Druggists, one lady Assistant understand why.
I am not bashful - I told them some youths were out front.

While waiting, I ask about delivery in the event mom can't get out, and I cannot run by. Yes they still make deliveries...

My take is, have meds delivered and not take a chance on being a victim.

"Some of the customers are scared, some have been followed home and attacked, robbed, not sure how to handle this" she shared.

I suggested using a code word. Pretty simple, if the person does not know the code, they are not from Drug Store.
This is being implemented immediately at this Drug Store.

"Youths" drive off, I sorta watch , wait, take my time.
I do have this pretty good size bag of Drugs, inside a brown paper bag.
Just me, I always do take in plain bag, no need to advertise the drugs with a drug store bag...

Well I spot these guys before they note I spotted them.
They were off around the corner out of site, and when I headed out, they did too.

Fine.
I know about this stuff, and I know the area.
Big parking lot where a big store went out, other smaller businesses have closed, and only a few businesses like this Drug Store on one edge in a "strip center" fashion.

I know how to leave this lot, and not have to use the traffic lights with streets with 4 to 6 lanes of traffic.
I keep stuff like this scoped out, and so I took a little known "street" to main road.

Contingency plans include, heading straight to a Fire Station and laying on the horn. So I have a CCW, not the first time I have hit the horn in Fire Station, not ashamed to do again.

I can head to Police Sub Station, again, something I have done, and not ashamed to do again.

I chose once I lost them, to take advantage of a Legal 180 turn area and head back as I came.
Then again, I have been known to do this where only "Authorized Personal" are supposed to turn around.
I just told a Policewoman the last time I caught the blues the truth as to why I did it, no problem, no ticket, and I gave description of vehicles.

Parking Lots.

One has to watch entering, being in, and exiting.

Steve
Old June 6, 2007, 09:53 PM   #10
springmom

One thought... If they're going to deliver, have them call her a minute or two before they actually get to her house, tell her that they're coming. Your mom shouldn't be opening the door to just anybody either. If she knows they're coming, she can have her money or check ready, and get it done quickly. She can know it's ok to open the door (although she should still look out to check who it is, anyway, of course.)

She is in my prayers.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old June 6, 2007, 11:57 PM   #11
Bruxley

MIGHTY MIGHTY bad neighborhood there. Maybe it's time to take care of your mom at YOUR house like back in the good days. Reminiscent of the era when good people of intergrity did the RIGHT thing rather than the easy one. People used to take care of thier parents at home after it was no longer wise to have them fending for themselves.

If that area is even half as danderous as you desciribed, it is flat iresponsible to leave an elderly, handicapped, single woman there alone IMHO.

Sorry. Just my $.02. Worth what ya paid for it.

Best of all....it meets the #1 rule of survival to a perfect 'T'.........AVOID the problem.
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Old June 7, 2007, 05:47 AM   #12
Legionnaire

Thanks for the reminder, Steve. "Situational awareness" needs to extend beyond one's own personal safety.
Old June 7, 2007, 11:40 AM   #13
TwoXForr

Can we clone you SM, you are my hero.

Multiple what you did by about 100,000 and the crime rate would be about 0 in this country.
All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream.
Old June 7, 2007, 12:41 PM   #14
don_hamer

You are one of a kind where I am from. Here, it's every man or woman for herself. Great job! Glad to see someone sticking up for the elderly.
http://www.thefirearmdirectory.com - Add Your Firearm/Gun/Weapons Website
Old June 7, 2007, 01:57 PM   #15
Spenser

Great story. Being a good person and doing the right thing is not decided by what's in vogue at the moment. It should always be what's in your heart. Good job.
Old June 7, 2007, 02:32 PM   #16
sm

Evil is everywhere and no respecter of age or gender.

I will mention again, I have fired my family, except to keep tabs on mom.
I am the eldest sib, and for a long time now, the other sibs seem to have forgotten they have a mom.

See the other sibs think I am "wrong" and therefore I am the black sheep of the family.
Then again a Sister-In-Law with her mom were the ones going down a parking lane in a mall Parking Lot, Shots fired, and BGs running to get-a-way vehicle and so busy punching in 911, to even think of getting below dash, much less backing up the SUV.

A brother was totally shocked to see a lady get pulled away from her car, and the youth jump in and drive off at another parking lot. He just stood there, and was looking for his wife coming out of store so he tell her how bad times had gotten in this "nice neighborhood".

I do not meddle, except when asked, and where safety is concerned for mom.
She may still view the world at times through Rose Colored glasses, still she has been around 77 years and earned the right to be herself.
Respect, Common Courtesy, and all that corny sentimental stuff.

HER Decisions. She has a right to make her own decisions and plans.
She asked me to assess and assist with some security measures and I did.
While I would have preferred to do a few things different, she chose the options I presented and I did these.

See the other sibs came over one day with her gone with the idea of straightening out, cleaning out her garage.
She had some stuff marked that she figured the kids would want as she had been storing them.
She had other stuff marked for being tossed.

Sibs came over and "got into" and "took away" items she did not want taken.
They even came into the house and "got stuff".

One was a Kerosene lamp she used as a little girl growing up in the country
she used to do her homework by and all. Her momma made a big deal out of getting her that lamp for her B-Day one year.
They even got into a hidden safe and took some jewelry.

Mom got these back, HER choice as to whom she chooses to pass stuff down to.
I made sure to get these back under no uncertain terms.

Sibs in the blink of an eye would take her car, force her to sell her house, and stick her in a "Retirement Village" or as she calls it a "Get the old lady out of our hair home".

No, not on my watch!

Mom has attentive plans when she retires.
Yep at 77 she still works, she wants to, and wants to keep her brain active, and be productive.

With the recent surgery, and some upcoming additional surgeries, she is having to be honest, and assess for herself.
She has been fortunate to not have been in a hospital for anything in y-e-a-r-s unlike some of her peers.

Parking Lots, just one area she is learning from a new perspective at the moment.

She has a right to be independent, live in her house, piddle in her yard, and drive her "Old Ladies Gray Olds" - our joke, as it seems all the "old folks" drive one.

Until such time SHE makes a decision, or a Doctor advises otherwise, she will do her thing.
Not the other sibs decisions.

I do not need a cane, although I do have them.
Mom is a bit jealous that my cane gets more attention than hers.
I gotta an idea we will venture out again to remedy that.

Now when I assist her on Parking Lots ( wherever) she is on my strong side, and that is where I have to be to help her, with her needs.

Mom with her cane right/strong side for her, me with mine left/weak side.

You know a mom will let go of your arm, and pretend she does not know you if you point your cane weak side and say "Hey, get outta my yard!".

Hey, she forgot about that tinge of pain she had there at the moment.
"Don't embarrass me, and don't me laugh it hurts to laugh.

Don't make like you are going to pick up a 77 y/o mom and toss her in a basket to "wheel her in" either.
She does a mean slap to a shoulder...

This role reversal is sorta fun at times...
Old June 7, 2007, 03:23 PM   #17
buckster

Unbelievable

Thanks for being alert and conscientious to the situation. My little lady had polio at 18 mos. She's almost retired now, and loves to go to TARGET to shop. I think I'll start going with her from now on. You just never know anymore. Parents and schools are not doing a very good job of teaching morals anymore.
Old June 7, 2007, 05:59 PM   #18
sm

Quote:
Parents and schools are not doing a very good job of teaching morals anymore.
No they are not.
Sad to add many parents are not doing so in the home either.
Old June 7, 2007, 08:14 PM   #19
Stevie-Ray

I stopped in to see my mom today. At 85, she still has an independant streak. But it's probably her 83 year old boyfriend. Yes, he stays there most of the time, though he keeps a house of his own. He'd marry her in a minute, but Mom says "What for?" They seem to keep each other in good spirits even though they are literally falling apart. I love them both, and it's heartwrenching to see people that take that much medication, and have such a hard time getting around, getting beat up by not only insurance companies, but by young thugs. I talk to them all the time about what amounts to situational awareness, and they have a pretty good handle on what to do, where to go and when, when to call one of us, etc. They usually meet as a group of 6 or so. It also helps that in this area, an attack on the elderly is an extremely unusual occurrance, but it never hurts to be prepared.
Old June 7, 2007, 10:54 PM   #20
JohnKSa
Staff

Steve,

Are you trying to tell us that you were able to prevent violent crimes WITHOUT SHOOTING SOMEONE?

Surely you don't expect us to believe that!

Situational awareness.