The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 29, 2006, 05:05 PM   #1
renaissance7697

Recommend to me a Powder Dispenser/Electronic Scale Combo

I'm biting the bullet. (snic)

Tired of Weighing with a Mechanical ( 10/10 )
and fiddling with a Dillon, Lyman 55, and Uniflow.
( Even though the Dillon and Uniflow have micrometer Heads ).
I have all three.

Weary of the "crunch" of cutting stick powder and the innaccuracies that go with it.
I want to be able to "Experiment" easily and consistently.
Change Powders, try different loads etc.

I want to get a "Combination" Dispenser/Electronic Scale set up
The choices are:
RCBS
Lyman
and
Pact
They all seem to have their Pros and Cons.
RCBS is the most expensive ( ~ $ 270 shipped )

Who uses one or the other?
What are your experiences?
Anybody had an opportunity to compare any of them side by side (or sequentially)

My use for the combo will be "Highly accurate Bench Pistol type ammo".
I will probably batch them single stage in loading blocks with my Rockchuker.

I will crank out my "blaster" 9 and 45 on the 650 and Piggyback progressively.
and
Do the Small quantity - HIgh Quality stuff - single stage with the combo.

I'm not going to be making a lot of them
but I DO want them to be GOOD!
Old March 29, 2006, 05:25 PM   #2
rr4406pak

Go with the RCBS Charge Master Combo!
They are on sale for $249 over at Natchezess:
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...8923&src=BA183

I got one of these for Christmas 05' and it has changed my reloading life.
Easy to use and scary accurate. I still can't believe it throws charges as accurately as it does.
Money well spent!
Old March 29, 2006, 06:00 PM   #3
Wildalaska

i use the Lyman 1200 and am very impressed

WildhelpmeimtricklingAlaska
Old March 29, 2006, 07:00 PM   #4
gary2905

I have used the Lyman 1200 for a bit over 2 years now and it fits my needs nicely.
Mostly use the scale for weighing out loads from the progressive -that is getting it set up and checking about one in 20 loads just to keep me happy- but do use the auto dispense function occassionaly when reloading hunting ammo or benchrest stuff where i want to know that every round is measured to the tneth of a grain.
Very pleased with the unit- got a decent price from Midway and don't see much need to upgrade or change at the present time.
Old March 30, 2006, 01:36 AM   #5
Waffen

I have seen both side by side and own an RCBS Chargemaster 1500 unit myself. I'll give you the short version.

The RCBS is faster to dispense a charge and much easier to clean/switch powders. The biggest factor for me is the Lyman 1200DPS model has a 30 minute calibration period when you first switch it on. The RCBS takes about 10 seconds. Aside from that they both produce accurate loads and both IMO are just as accurate if not more so than a ballance beam scale.

A good friend of mine uses the 1200 and I use the RCBS, we both shoot big magnum cartriges that require 95+ grains of powder. For big jobs like this I like to use my crappy old lee dispenser and drop about 85 grains then let the RCBS trickle for me. Both my friend and myself do this and agree it's the best way.

I have used all types of powder with my unit. Ball, flake, extruded. It dosen't seem to make a difference what you throw at it, it will dispense it.

I find the load memory to be kind of stupid, although you may not. I guess to some it has it's purposes but I always know in my head what I need to throw out of one kind of powder and I just punch it in and press enter, after the inital charge is entered all you have to do is set the empty powder pan back on the scale and press enter again and it will dispense the same load over and over and over again. The Lyman is the same way. I believe the lyman does have more space for saving loads. I believe it will hold 100 stored loads in it's memory, however you have to decide if this is a usefull feature for you.

I could not live without my RCBS, however if it's worth the extra 60-70 is up to you.
Old March 30, 2006, 01:59 AM   #6
Tim R

I have used the Lyman DPS 1200 for a couple of years now as well. I like the machine over all. If I was to go it again however, I think I would have to go with the RCBS. Either way reloading is not the same.
Old March 30, 2006, 04:16 PM   #7
gbair

I had a old style Pact scale and Powder measure. It served me well until my cat dragged the scale off the table. After sheding some tears and not killing my cat, I looked at my options. The new RCBS had good press and was tempting, repairing or replacing my scale seemed too expesive, and Midway had the Lyman 1200 on sale. I chose the Lyman 1200 and it has served me well. I definitly like it better than my old Pact system. It requires a little more work to change out powders, but you don't have to recalibrate when you use different powders. I load 30-30, 308, and 223 and it has the next charge ready when I've finished seating the bullet on my last round. With the 308, I have to wait a few seconds. It is accurate to 1/10 of a grain. I'd say that one in fifty will show 1/10 grain variance. Otherwise, it's right on. I also like one unit with one power supply. Know in advance that it requires a 30 minute warm up time. This is no problem to me because I turn it on before I set up to reload. Most of the time, I just leave it on and rezero before I start loading. Hope you find this helpful.
Greg
Old March 30, 2006, 05:12 PM   #8
RERICK

Without a dought.Get the Chargemaster 1500.You will love it.All I will say about the cost is you get what you pay for
Old March 30, 2006, 08:36 PM   #9
steve4102

I have the Lyman 1200 and I think it's great. I have loaded thousands of rounds and it has always been balls on. That said, if I had to do it over again I think I would go for the RCBS. The RCBS has come down in price since I purchased the Lyman and it is a bit faster. Don't get me wrong the Lyman is great and I am very happy with it.