The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 21, 2002, 03:55 PM   #1
sjones

good dove load?

I am loading #7 1/2 with green dot to a loading of 1200 fps. this is a 1 1/8 oz load for skeet,but since I am new to this sport and shotshell reloading,I was wondering if this would also make a good dove or quail load?thanks. also,is there any info out there that would tell you what fps is good for what game? I know you can use 5's or 6's for phesant,but at what velocity? thanks again. sj
Old December 21, 2002, 04:20 PM   #2
sm

Doves, I use a good 2 3/4 or 3 dram eq in skeet load. HARD SHOT
in 1 1/8 oz. Normally shot size 8 wind kickin, grey missles with afterburners might go 7.5, Been known to use 6's when skittish, winter, reallywhen 'afer piece out.

#1 deal, always: Pattern Board best friend.
Check at ranges to be used with loads, chokes.
Much said for :matter of bore-not choke
Field not place to find out.

Tip: all I SEE is the head...focus on head only...paint 'em out of the sky
Old December 22, 2002, 11:01 AM   #3
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I use 2 3/4" 3-3/4, 1-1/4, 7 1/2's in a 28" modified barrel. Works for me. I have used Herco, and WW570 with WW wads in WW all plastic cases to get there.
Old December 22, 2002, 01:29 PM   #4
HSMITH

Your GD load will kill any dove ever hatched out to 45 yards with a decent pattern.
Old December 23, 2002, 01:55 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

My favorite dove load was always a Winchester AA hull and wad, 1 1/4 oz of 71/2 shot, and enough Red Dot to make 2 3/4 dram. quiv.

Made a good all around general pupose load.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 23, 2002, 08:27 AM   #6
lockandrock
Registration in progress

1 1/4oz , #7.5 ( maybe 8s) AA hulls , win209, and the max longshot loading from hodgdon website

Seems to work very good for me. It actually helps, due to the 1400fps screaming velocities and my ocassional lack of enough lead on fast flying birds. A little bit more recoil and more louder report but still a great killer dove and quail load.
Old December 23, 2002, 05:01 PM   #7
JerryM

My favorite dove load is a skeet load of #9 shot. A dove is small and easily killed. I found my percentage of kills was better with the smaller shot.

Once I was hunting and missing a lot. I finally saw one in a tree about 30 yards away. I shot at it in the tree to see if the pattern was too open. It was - he flew away. After that I went to 9 shot and my percentage of hits increased greatly.
Not all misses went away!

I even like 9 shot for Bobwhite quail in the brush.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old December 23, 2002, 05:22 PM   #8
lockandrock
Registration in progress

I find #9 to be the opposite for me. As they get bigger (white winged or ring neck dove) I get alot of feathers or wounded birds. 8,7.5,7 all provide adequate kill and a greater range than the smaller #9s. A proper charge of #8 or 7.5 birdshot is adequate in killing doves. #9 in my opinion is a skeet load.

You'll be better off throwing sand at a fast & high flying dove when using #9