The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 27, 2010, 08:53 PM   #26
mitchell koster

Should buy a .270!!! any brand but great calibre to work with.
Old July 27, 2010, 10:58 PM   #27
grubbylabs

I bought a Marlin XS7 308 and a Vortex scope for less than 500. I was just over 300 for the rifle I think 329 and I think I was just over 100 for the scope. I don't remember for sure what model it is right of hand but it is 4X12. So far I really like it and I am even happier that the first hand load recipe I tried was spot on. More often than not I make a clover leaf @ 100 yards and I am by no means a great rifle shooter, I usually archery hunt.

The recoil is very manageable and the rounds seem to be abundant and cheap. I think the 308 and the 30 06 are probably two of the most popular rounds out there.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old July 30, 2010, 07:56 PM   #28
James R. Burke

I also live in Mi. There aren many good caliber that will do the job for deer. Lots of good makes, and optics if you use a scope. 30-06 is just my favorite, and to name just a few 30-30, 308, .270, .243, and a whole bunch more that will do it. If I was you I would take a little more time, and research more on what you want, and the conditions you will be using it. I would wait and save up, and get a fair set up if you could. The more you know the better you will be. You dont need to spend lots of money, to get a nice rifle. If you could try a few that would be the best bet. You can even go the used route. There are lots of great rifles for sale that have not been used that much.