The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 21, 2024, 11:47 PM   #26
stagpanther

I took some of the cases and cut them in half--the web was not some consistently flat and thick area--it looked more like they tapered. Between myself and MeHeavy we had quite a few bulged cases right at the area above where the web meets the head--in my cases the bulges appeared to consistently appear about where the extractor fits in the bolt face wall. These were AR's--so I just assumed if it passed go/no-go gauges things were hunky dory. It never occurred to me to initially measure the differences between the go and no-go until after I finally blew a case up (in the same area) and add up the difference in headspace. I'm not questioning your design ernie; just the early implementations of the 350 legend. Several "flavors" of reamers and gauges were initially released in response to the first published SAAMI specs; which themselves were later changed IIRC. IMO--simply the sensationalized roll-out and rush to market for the latest piece of sliced bread was the real cause; saw something similar with the roll-out of the 224 valkyrie though I didn't have any failures with it.

FYI, a post mortem of the blown upper receiver revealed that liquified brass jetted down the ejector hole, blew the extractor aside, down the carrier blowing both the sides of the upper receiver out and bottom from the carrier, down into the magazine and blowing it apart. This also seized the bolt to the barrel's extension.

Last edited by stagpanther; February 22, 2024 at 12:05 AM.
Old February 22, 2024, 02:18 AM   #27
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie8
The other question My .357 Bandit round in a little longer than a rimless .357 Max , and using .223 cases that are rated for more pressure than a .357 max case.
The .357 Max Rimless or .357 Max AR the other name it's commonly called are made with .223 brass. They headspace off the case mouth as well. There is rarely anything new under the sun when it comes to wildcat cartridges. I know I first heard of the .357 Max Rimless/AR around 2008.
Old February 22, 2024, 07:46 AM   #28
stagpanther

'Nother thing bout the 350 legend I couldn't quite understand--as far as I could tell the bore was no different from that of 9mm Luger (at least the early specs I saw).
Old February 22, 2024, 08:46 AM   #29
Pumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
'Nother thing bout the 350 legend I couldn't quite understand--as far as I could tell the bore was no different from that of 9mm Luger (at least the early specs I saw).
I have a 10” Contender and have had excellent results using bullets designed for the 35 Rem.
I think their choice of .355” bullets is going to go over like forcing Americans to drive electric vehicles. I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when that decision was made. I really can’t see a reason for doing this….
Old February 22, 2024, 09:04 AM   #30
Buckeye!

https://youtu.be/Bd8-Jds9kjk?si=Yanx7lb1qK5pax2m

Seems like Hornady has their 170gr 350 Legend round dialed in … crazy deep penetration
Old February 22, 2024, 09:57 AM   #31
ernie8

Stag . I can not comment on how others made their reamers or rifles . I was talking about the performance on game with different loads [ heavy bullet fast , sub-sonic , lighter bullets faster ] for the lighter recoil and muzzle blast compared to other rifles and rounds . I also like the 35 Rem , better performance , but it does not work well in an AR-15 . In a bolt rifle my .357 Bandit works great in a short barrel [ does not gain much after 16 inches ] and can use a short light action . One of my favorite walk around rifles is my .357 B carbine , short , light and handy with good hog power . What problems Win or others have , I do not have . So maybe I applied the idea better . My .357 B and their 350 L are really about the same thing as far as game goes . I also do not know why we both went with the same size bores but they used .355 bullets and mine work fine with .357 pistol bullets . Also the 180 .357 B round does penetrate better than you would think . In an AR-15 set up right there is no reason a .357 B case loaded to less pressure than if it was used as a .223 should have problems .
Old February 22, 2024, 10:37 AM   #32
stagpanther

Quote:
Seems like Hornady has their 170gr 350 Legend round dialed in … crazy deep penetration
It looks OK-ish to me. I actually really like the interlock a lot, I consider it the next step down from a partition type bullet.

I have to give credit where credit is due--MeHeavy turned me on to the 180 gr hot cor swaged down to .357 or .356; it has bested everything else (in performance numbers--haven't taken any game with it) in the legend I've tried though a bit of a PITA to load.

Last edited by stagpanther; February 22, 2024 at 10:52 AM.