The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 31, 2013, 09:01 PM   #1
WildBill45

What is a good price for AK 30 round Mag ... gun show this weekend

I am going to a gun show this weekend. What is a good price or going price for 30 round, metal, magazines for my AK... I need a good starting point to make sure I am in the ballpark...

Thanks ahead of time...

PS: Are the synthetic mags reliable and study enough for long term use ... anyone?

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old January 31, 2013, 11:04 PM   #2
bigghoss

Right now they're $30-50 bucks. Back in November they were $10. I would just hound your elected officials about voting down any magazine bans and wait for the scare to blow over.
Old February 1, 2013, 06:34 PM   #3
Mike38

There was a dealer at a local to me gun show this past weekend that had hundreds of steel AK mags. Price was $35 each. Same dealer had just about as many AR mags priced at $30 each. I think he sold out of the AK mags. Considering the way things are going right now, I’d say those were fair prices.
Old February 1, 2013, 06:36 PM   #4
spacecoast

I like the Tapco mags... regular price at Sportsmans Guide is $25 for 3 of them when you can find them.
Old February 1, 2013, 08:11 PM   #5
WildBill45

Quote:
I like the Tapco mags
Why do you like Tapco magazines???

Because they are cheap, they are easier to get, or they work better?

When frozen how do they hold up to impact?

How do they lock up in the mag well?

What quality is the springs at that price?

What is the follower made of?

Thanks for the input...

Old February 1, 2013, 08:14 PM   #6
WildBill45

Quote:
Price was $35 each
This is what I was guessing, and I guess it is a fair-Fed-inspired-price at the moment. I may wait and see if I go to the show, and hopefully find a few good deals. My dad is in the hospital so I will see how it goes.

I would like to also find a sling, a few spare parts such as the recoil spring assembly, and maybe a firing pin...

Old February 1, 2013, 08:18 PM   #7
spacecoast

The tapco mags are cheap and they work fine in my gun. I live in Florida so I haven't tried them in low temps. Lock up is very tight no wobble at all.

Last edited by spacecoast; February 1, 2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old February 3, 2013, 12:28 AM   #8
Venom1956

Only thing I've been able to find around here are TAPCO mags for my 74. I've bought eight at sub 15 dollar prices. Ive fired 30 rounds from four of them non had any issues. They wobble more when empty then full because the round on top presses into the bolt I believe. I plan on trading up to bulgy mags when they stop being marked up to fifty apiece. If not I'm sure these will last quite some time.

The issues with them are the rear lug and tooth (idk the offical names) where they lock up and also the feedlips are just plastic. impact to the mag (ie falling prone) can snap that spur off on the back or those three places just wear out over time.

Tapco body is poly it flares near the bottom for extra support. Base plate is steel, spring is... springy. the follow is polymer as well. All in all if you get them for a retail price I think you'll be happy.

I would stick with Steel mags for a 47 or surp bulgy poly mags. But I think US Palm and Tapco would suffice for Range day in a pinch.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 3, 2013, 11:22 AM   #9
WildBill45

I would stick with Steel mags for a 47 or surp bulgy poly mags.This is what I was thinking, but not sure since I had zero experience with synthetic ones, but I do have experience with like--POLY--night sticks and the PR 24, and I don't like either of those either ... I have broken both for demonstrations in cold weather!

Due to dad in just getting out of hospital I will miss this show, but it comes back in a few months... Thanks for the tips everyone...