The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 8, 2009, 10:32 PM   #1
bulldogbear

Mauser Bolt help

I removed my bolt assembly from the receiver a couple weeks ago and there it sat until I had some more time.

At some point in there, the safety managed to get switched from the upright (safe?) position to it's default (firing?) position. I didn't notice that it had moved before I tried removing firing pin by unscrewing the bolt sleeve.

I went about disassembly as normal, depressing the bolt sleeve stop, and the entire sleeve made it about a 1/4 turn before everything clicked into what now seems like a locked position, with the firing pin peaking out about 1/16" at the head/front of the bolt.

The bolt sleeve stop can still be depressed, but I can't seem to move anything else...

Any suggestions?
Old January 9, 2009, 01:46 AM   #2
bulldogbear

solved!

Correction to my earlier post - the Safety Catch was actually down on the left side of the bolt.

I was able to use the small indentation on the side of the cocking piece to pull the firing pin back far enough to return the safety catch back to it's safe position and then disassemble the bolt. Not fun with no vise handy and only two hands...
Old January 9, 2009, 09:29 AM   #3
F. Guffey

Bulldogbear, most would have caught the cocking piece on the a sharp edge and moved the bolt to compress the spring, legend has it the slot was designed for cocking with the aid of a cartridge, if Mauser was a genius he would have put the slot in the cocking piece to facility the use of a spring tension gage, and the next post will inform you to test the safety by pulling the trigger with the safety on without telling you the only way a safety can be set behind the trigger is during assembly.

Hang the cocking piece on a sharp edge, like the edge of a metal table, metal shelf etc., after assembly, then raise the safety to the 12 o'clock position, if the trigger is in front of the safety the cocking piece will kick up (cant) in the rear when the trigger is pulled and the firing pin will fall when the safety is released, again the only way this can happen is during assembly.

The 3 o'clock position locks the bolt, meaning the bolt handle can not be raised when the safety is in the 3 o'clock position.

F. guffey