The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 6, 2005, 11:47 PM   #1
Big Yac

.45 Ar

I dunno if I'm on to something or not but the other day while going through some old 30-06 brass my dad has here I came upon some brass thats stamped REM - UMC 45 AR. The brass looks very similar to 45 ACP brass except that there is a rim on the bottom of it. What kind of gun shoots this? I didnt think auto pistols used rimmed cases. I asked dad about these and he said hes never had a 45 of any type. Can anyone tell me something about this?
Old October 7, 2005, 12:06 AM   #2
Toney

They were used in revolvers chambered for 45auto with out the rims you had to use moon clips. I think it was around ww1 that they wre moveing from the revolvers to the 1911 allready in change over to the autos when the war broke and not enough autos to go around S&W started drilling thier
cylinders all the way through for 45's.45auto's having no rim needed the clips
but to do away with the clips they came out with the 45 auto rim
Old October 7, 2005, 12:29 AM   #3
beenthere

45 Auto Rim

1917 Colt and S&W large frame revolvers. Also 1950 S&W Target revolvers and 1955 model. Fired 45 ACP using 1/2 moon clips, 1/3 moon clips and recently full 6 round clips. Also shoot the 45 AR loaded singly.

Winchester brass still available through www.midlandusa.com . Good shooting guns.
The weak, and those unwilling to make the struggle, soon resign their liberties for the protection of powerful men or paid armies; they begin by being protected, they end by being subjected. Louis L'Amour
Old October 7, 2005, 09:55 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Peters introduced the .45 Auto Rim cartridge around 1920-1921.

Some of the surplus military Smith & Wesson and Colt 1917 revolvers were being distributed to law enforcement agencies, and Smith was offering a commercial model.

The half-moon clips weren't being offered commercially, and were, as they are today, a pain in the butt to deal with.