The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 4, 2005, 07:34 PM   #1
AJ Peacock

Pacific Gun Sight Company (reloading dies)?

All,

One of the other threads was asking what brand of dies.

I went downstairs and started looking through my stuff and ran across a set of dies that I bought in a package with an old Rem 700 ADL .243Win some years back.

They are well made dies (one full length, one neck size and a seating die that has the cutout on the side for placing the bullet). I've used them to reload for that rifle and found it strange that I didn't know the company. The instruction sheet says Pacific Gun Sight Company Lincoln Nebraska .

They seem like well made dies. The full length die has a sleeve inside the threaded portion that allows the die to spin while resizing.

I searched the internet and couldn't find anything about them, if they had been purchased, went out of business ??

Anybody know anything about them?

FWIW: The price on the box is $6.79

AJ
Old October 4, 2005, 08:09 PM   #2
LHB1

AJ,
Pacific went out of business years ago (~70-80's?). At least one of their products, the Pacific progressive shotshell loader, is now being made and sold as Hornady M366 machine. Do not know if Hornady also bought other Pacific products. There were several companies whose connections I'm not sure of but whose products were similar at different times: C-H, Pacific, and Bair.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old October 4, 2005, 08:28 PM   #3
MADISON

Pacific Gun Sight Company

Pacific Gun Sight Company (reloading dies was bought up by HORNADY.
I have several pieces of the Pacific equipment.
Old October 4, 2005, 08:49 PM   #4
BigJakeJ1s

It seems like I heard that the Hornady balance beam scale still says Pacific on the base casting...

Andy
Old October 10, 2005, 11:11 PM   #5
farmall

I still use an old Pacific Multi-Power press. Basically a Hornady 007 without the Lock 'n Load system. I'd put this press up against a Rock Chucker any day! Pacific was bought out by Hornady in 1974, I think. My brother in law's father worked for Pacific in Lincoln NE for many years, and knows all the ins and outs regarding Pacific/Hornady/Western Gun/Bair & Dietemeyer. It's a long drawn out convoluded mess that only he can tell, but it sure makes for some interesting stories.
There are tons of Pacific reloading equipment still in use here in NE, seems like every old shooter around here worked for Pacific at one time or another.
Old October 11, 2005, 01:15 PM   #6
Cloudpeak

I still have an old Pacific case trimmer and powder measure. I still have a Browning Medalist and a Marlin 39A that I bought at Western Gun. I bought a lot of stuff from Western as I went to college in Lincoln in the late 60's. Now that I look back, I bought a lot of stuff from Western. It was only 2 1/2 hours from where I lived and it was a great place to spend some money!

Cloudpeak