The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 20, 2005, 10:34 PM   #26
sm

Not Quirks.

I was raised to be observant and to think outside the box.

pax,
do me a favor if you will please. I am curious. I have used my cane when I couldn't carry due to State Reg's. I have also used it - just because. Groceries get carried out and put in vehicle, even had this done with only two small sacks. I must really look pitiful. Doors get opened, groceries get carried, and so does other stuff, like my carry out order,hardware items, I have even had folks offer to carry my backpack. Be curious how a mom with cane would be treated.

You can spot the Awareness folks in a restuarant, they are seated against the wall, and when the power goes out they are the only ones shining lights of all sorts. Had this happen in classrooms, meetings, even a hardware store once.

I don't pull all the way up the rear bumper of the vehicle ahead at a stop. Strong hand stays free. I read rooms, looking for exits, and making mental notes of my surroundings.

I too check under stalls in public restrooms. If with a lady, I often hang close to ladies restroom until she exits. If our table is near restrooms we watch ecah other enter and exit ( taking note of whom else enters, exits as well)

I try to never use my wallet in public, I don't usually keep money in it , So I often take any ID / CC out of it, and place in pocket. I don't produce my money clip either if can...I just produce what I need and pre-planned ahead of time. I always keep a few dollars in shirt pocket.

Normal to me because I was raised this way and have continued to learn and add tools to the toolbox.

Abnormalare the folks totally clueless about surroundings, the realities of life, in denial, and either choose to not train their mind and body, or not accept they may need to.

Never much really cared one whit what some folks, thought about me - or what they said about me behind my back, to others, or said to my face.

How raised - Just what you do.
Old October 21, 2005, 12:23 AM   #27
Russ538

I keep an eye out, noting the people around me when walking home. If someone is behind me, within 20 feet or so, I slow and let them pass. In movie theaters and restaraunts, I sit in the back corner, or wherever I can best keep an eye on my surroundings.

I check my car over for damage before getting in. I look in the back seat at night, as I'm getting in my car, and then reach around behind my seat with my hand, just to double check and make sure there's no one laying down back there.

blackmind,

I heard the trucks were bringing in profit of only $6,000, and less than $1,000 for the cars (on average), but I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they were really pulling in the cash on some of the more expensive models.

That's why I enjoy older vehicles. If you know how to work on them, buy 'em old and keep 'em running. And when I pop the hood, I want to look at an engine, not a bunch of plastic covers and wires. If they're not going to build new vehicles so that the home mechanic can work on them, I don't want any part in it.
Old October 21, 2005, 12:34 AM   #28
blackmind

Quote:
That's why I enjoy older vehicles. If you know how to work on them, buy 'em old and keep 'em running. And when I pop the hood, I want to look at an engine, not a bunch of plastic covers and wires. If they're not going to build new vehicles so that the home mechanic can work on them, I don't want any part in it.

This is why I regret not having availed myself of automotive maintenance and repair training. I guess I used to look down on it, and now I realize that people who can fix useful things are the salt of the earth.

Maybe some day I'll take an adult ed class on auto repair or something. I would LOVE to have, say, a '68 GTO or something to work on and drive...
Simple, elegant machinery, not this computerized, good-only-for-about-10-years CRAP.

-blackmind