The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 12, 2001, 08:01 PM   #1
delvallef

New 11-87 SP Super Magnum Trouble

Hi,

I bought a new 11-87 SP Super Magnum 12ga on Saturday and just ran about 50 rounds through it today. It experienced failure to fully eject cartridges several times. At first I thought my wife was just limp-wristing when it happened to her but when it started happening to me, I began to wonder.

The 11-87 SP Super Magnum can use 2 3/4, 3 and 3 1/2 loads. The loads I used today were Winchester Western in 12g, 2 3/4 inches, 1145fps velocity, 1 1/8oz, 8 lead shot. I compared this with the acceptable loads listed in the Remington instruction manual and, beside the manufacturer, it is an acceptable load.

Any thoughts on this? I heard that sometimes on a semi-auto you have to run a few boxes through it for it to stabilize.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.
Old August 12, 2001, 08:59 PM   #2
missmanytoes

Delvallef,

I've been having the same troubles with my 1100 lately. The gun was functioning properly until I installed an EZLoader on it and it snivels on just about every round now. The guys at the range said to check/replace the O-ring, so that is what I am heading to the gunstore for tomorrow. I don't get it myself, if is an O-ring trouble, wouldn't it snivel EVERY round?? I'm "shotgun stupid", so I figured I'd nose around here and see if anyone else has any other suggestions besides the O-ring.

-sarah
Old August 12, 2001, 09:12 PM   #3
hksigwalther

Correct me if I'm wrong but is the 1100 recoil operated therefore O-ring free?

My 11-87 SP (non-Magnum) hasn't choked yet (~500 rounds) even with 1 oz target loads (7½). Maybe, since it is a new gun, it just needs to loosen up for a few more rounds. Might want to try some heavier magnum and/or 3½" loads to break it in.

Other causes could be a plugged or partially blocked hole for the gas. Undersized or broken O-ring.
Old August 12, 2001, 10:03 PM   #4
Will Beararms

The 1100 series does have an 0-ring.

My father uses an 1187 and the 1187 SPS 3.5 Magnum. Both have been back to the factory. The 1187 after about four years of intense flooded timber duck hunting in Arkansas and the new 3.5 Magnum after one half of a season.

The 3.5" Magnum spit out an extractor in the duck woods. The 1187 just needed some TLC in addition to some small parts. I noted that the 1187 3.5" would not digest a succession of mixed loads-----------------2.75". 3" and 3.5" in the same magazine. It never fed the light loads until a trip back to the factory.

Don't be discouraged. I saw my father trash a Benelli Super Black Eagle after 1.5" years after the "wheels came off". I saw two other SBE's and a Benelli M90 bite the dust in the Duck Blind that year as well as another Remington 1187 that had spent 5,000 rounds in seven years. My point? Not to worry semi-auto shotguns break but they can be repaired and render you a long service life. It comes with the territory. I'm no authority just a guy who has hunted 30 years and seen a few semi-auto scatter guns choke.
Old August 13, 2001, 12:24 AM   #5
Popsicle

11-87 sp super mag

I believe a combination of new gun, and relatively light loads are the culprit here. The 3.5 inch autos I have experienced seem to malfunction more often with loads less than 1-1/8 oz. shot at 1200 fps. That's a standard three dram equiv trap load. I have owned two 11-87's- one a standard field gun, and the other a trap gun. The field gun would almost always jam with my one oz. reloads, and often enough with the light target loads you describe.The trap gun, on the other hand, would cycle feeble 2-3/4 dram 1 oz. reloads, but alas, I started shooting the remington nitro 27's and damn near destroyed the gun- the gas ports are just too open and the bolt velocity was too high. The 3.5" autos are set up for the heaviest loads obtainable in 12 ga. I really think that if you try some heavier loads, at least to break in the gun, your malfunctions will vanish

Pat Brophy
Old August 13, 2001, 06:00 AM   #6
Guyon

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but is the 1100 recoil operated therefore O-ring free?
The 1100 is gas operated and has an O-ring.
Old August 13, 2001, 06:46 AM   #7
K80Geoff

The 1100 and 11-87 are both "Gas" guns. The Benellis are recoil operated.

One of the problems with "Gas" guns is that they are often finicky about different loads. New "Gas" guns often have problems with failures to feed. Sometimes this is cured after a break in period and sometimes you have to start replacing parts to get them to work properly. Some work fine out of the box.

Sometimes it is a matter of proper lubrication, or too much lubrication, or the wrong type of lubrication.

Other times it could be the shells, some lighter shells will not produce enough power to operate some actions, others may have misshapen brass that causes the malfunctions.

My suggestion is to re read the guns instruction manual and try lubricating the manual's way. And change the brand of shells next time you shoot.

Also check out the www.shotgunreport.com website for loads of usefull information on maintaining "gas" guns.

I shot Sporting Clays this weekend with a couple of TFL'ers and one had a new Mossberg "GAS" gun. He shot well for his first time but I did notice the gun FTF'ed seveal times. You just have to shoot the gun and learn it's likes and dislikes. Learn how it likes to be lubed and what shells it likes. And break it in.

Geoff Ross
Old August 13, 2001, 11:27 AM   #8
hksigwalther

I stand corrected.
Old August 13, 2001, 12:12 PM   #9
Will Beararms

Inddeed the Benelli is recoil operated....

Therein lies the shortcoming of the Benelli in Flooded Timber duck hunting applications where the receiver may sweat or even be exposed to water was one slogs through the hunting area in chest waders. The recoil spring is prone to rusting and will cause beau coup jams if this happens. Mack's Prairie Wing, www.macksprairiewings.com, has a SS recoil spring that can be retrofitted in the Benelli making it one of the best if not the best Duck hunting weapons ever known to mankind.

I personally have been well served by the 1187 series and note that the 1187 Camo 26" I have hunted with has been flawless and quite easy on the shoulder after a day of pounding in the flooded timber.

I am about to take delivery, hopefully, on one of the remaining NIB Beretta AL390 NWTF camo shotguns with the 24" barrel. I will keep everyone posted on how it handles the North Texas Dove season and South Arkansas Duck season God willing.

Back to the message: don't give up on Remington and like the earlier post stated----------------------avoid the lighter loads. Good Luck-----
Old August 13, 2001, 12:21 PM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

IMO, a few more boxes of ammo may fix it, and that's both the cheapest and most fun way to get things worked in. I'd just keep running those loads through it until they fed smoothly, or I had gone through a coupla cases. Then, Remington would have to fix it.

Or, if you've a pet load or one you're using for hunting, do your patterning now, and let the harder recoiling loads work polish those parts.
Old August 14, 2001, 01:38 AM   #11
Intel6

I just found this thread over on Gunspot. It is directly applicapable to this ?

http://gunspot.atinfopop.com/4/OpenT...5&m=4394019921