The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2016, 08:18 PM   #26
cw308

WendyJ, haven't had that problem of Ding's but read about it. They said the problem was from two things, not enough water, drum has to be filled to 1" from the top. And to many cases . With 5 lbs. of pins 2lbs. of brass & water 1" from the top problem went away. Hope this helped.
Old January 15, 2016, 01:13 PM   #27
Wendyj

I fill it to the neck which it calls for. Last batch I ran was about 50 308 cases and still got them. They aren't bad but chamfer and debur gets most of it away. I know first time I had it pretty full of brass due to trying it out the first time. Not supposed to exceed 30 lbs and it was at 20 lbs. I did find a strainer to go over a five gallon bucket and put one in the bath tub to catch any stray pins. I did see a comment that said any pins that got caught in primer pockets to throw away. Do any of you throw your pins away. Looks like they should still clean.
Old January 15, 2016, 02:21 PM   #28
cw308

WendyJ, no but I also read about pins that stick across the case neck should be thrown away. I just put them back. No big deal as long as we check our brass every time. The ding problem I haven't had yet, there are articles on the internet on this problem. Off the top my head I think it was STM.com The only problem I had was I set the unit up on a low stand by an outlet, about 45 minutes later beard a thump, it walked off the stand. Good thing all was well. Till the next time. Be Safe
Old January 15, 2016, 04:30 PM   #29
Tuzo

"Walked off the stand" almost got me. Barrel had too much runout after a slight dropping incident. Replaced the barrel and now place a cheap closed foam 1/4" pad from Walmart under the tumbler. No wandering tumbler and more quiet operation.
Old February 14, 2016, 05:33 PM   #30
THRASH

Step one, after 2 hr. tumbling (with whichever recipe u choose), spin w/Dillon rotary separator & tub... very sturdy and nothing flyies all over.

Step two: Shake & reshake (counter-spin & shake) all the pin stragglers. Remove brass & set aside.

Step three: With a 5 gallon bucket paint strainer, pour out all water & pins. Keep a magnet handy.

4: Spread out pins on a 2' x 3' Pep Boys steel drain pan, put a fan on it to dry those out.

5: Put brass in a dehydrator or on towels in the sun or w/ a fan. Then reload.

Here's a vid on exactly how to wet-tumble... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIpNcj5f9s4

I am always amazed how well the pins clean the primer pockets, so much that I pin-tumble twice: 1) Range brass before uni-depriming (no dirt, crud or soot on my press). 2) After uni-depriming to clean pockets. Its an extra step or more work but that's okay, my brass is premo and whistle smooth through the press.

Last edited by THRASH; February 15, 2016 at 09:53 AM.