The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 24, 2011, 03:31 PM   #1
Stevie-Ray

First Run: Mossberg 930 SPX

Welp, my first outing with my SPX was entirely successful, though I was about to split a seam waiting all this time. Suffice to say I was itching to get this thing running, as it was a Christmas present, but I had to wait for an opportune time when the wife was well enough to leave for an hour or so. I used a variety of shells all 2 3/4", including Win and Rem 00 buck, Rem #4 buck, Nobel SportItalia #4 buck, and Federal 7 1/2 shot Game and Target load, about 50 rounds total. All were roughly 1300 fps. Since this was a dry run to check function, all rounds were fired at 8 yards. I never touched the sights and the gun never hiccupped. The NSI buck spits out a cardboard wad that makes it look like you're shooting slugs-badly, but the pellets hit just fine. Just for kicks, I tried the low-brass Fed target load after the serious stuff to see if it would cycle the gun. No problem with those, either. Seeing as how I haven't fired a shotgun for over 20 years, it rather rocked my world, especially with all that buck. But my shoulder isn't sore in the least and it was a lot of fun, certainly due to the action. The game and target loads stank to high heaven, like burning paper, and smoked badly. Since it's semi-auto, all loads seemed to recoil alike and that's a good thing, since 00 buck at 1325 didn't feel much different than target at 1290. All-in-all, I'm elated. I think I'll be spending a lot more time with this piece. Even Kaylee, my kitten approves.

Old March 24, 2011, 04:05 PM   #2
Smitty in CT

Congrats!!!! Yes, it is about time!

Keep shoot and keep posting your results, good, bad, or ugly!!!

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old March 24, 2011, 04:20 PM   #3
aarondhgraham

Nice Puddy Tat,,,

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 24, 2011, 11:24 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

Nice!