The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 5, 2010, 10:01 PM   #1
Jack Bauer

Reloading question

Hello all,

I shot a couple of IDPA matches a few years ago and want to get back into it. I have a question regarding the differences between the "tactical reload" and the "reload with retention." As I understand it, a tactical reload involves taking a spare mag from a pouch, ejecting the one in gun, inserting the fresh one and stowing the ejected one. A reload with retention involves ejecting the mag from the gun and stowing it, then drawing and inserting a fresh magazine. The question I have is, under what conditions would I eject a magazine, either partially loaded or empty, before having the fresh magazine in hand and ready? I understand the tactical reload, and practice it regularly, but I don't understand why I would eject and stow a magazine, and THEN reach for the new one? Can anyone offer any insight?

Thanks!

I started out with nothing and still have most of it.
Old July 5, 2010, 10:25 PM   #2
Jim Watson

The reload with retention is easier to execute with less risk of fumbling the reload. You only have one magazine in hand at a time.

The true tactical reload requires managing two magazines in one hand, loading the gun with the fresh one and hanging on to the depleted one. I can do it pretty readily with single stack magazines, but a double column makes it tougher.
Old July 6, 2010, 08:49 AM   #3
g.willikers

If you're old and arthritic?
Old July 6, 2010, 09:01 AM   #4
Jim Watson

RWR all the way.

Before the 2005 rulebook revision, you could be required to do a tac load, so I practiced it. Now the tac load and rwr are considered equivalent. The rwr is less fumble prone, but I still occasionally trigger that old reflex and do a tac load.
Old July 6, 2010, 03:16 PM   #5
RickB

The Tac Load is more "tactical", apparently, because your gun is downloaded to only the round in the chamber for a minimal amount of time. The RWR, while leaving the gun a one-shooter for longer, is faster shot-to-shot as the reload can be more quickly completed; in competition, you cannot fire a round until the gun is loaded and the depleted mag is stowed. Since you have to go to your belt twice with the Tac Load, it's not going to be as fast as the RWR. I used to practice both, when the rules allowed the Tac to be specified; RWR was faster, but I might have to do a Tac if it were specified. Today, I practice and use only the RWR, but it wouldn't surprise me if lots of people practice only the Tac.
Old July 10, 2010, 04:24 AM   #6
warningshot

If you are old and cripple...

...then you die. Really. Think about it. The creeps don't care if you're a non-hacker. They are going to take your lunch money. That is why the rest of us, hackers, practice.
Old July 10, 2010, 08:50 AM   #7
g.willikers

It is still a game.
In the real world, does anyone care where the expended, empty magazine goes?
Probably gone and forgotten.
No more worthy of consideration than the expended brass.
Much more important things to worry about.
Old July 12, 2010, 11:02 AM   #8
RickB

Empty mags go on the ground; what else would you do with it?
Old July 12, 2010, 01:15 PM   #9
ice9_us

this will help ya for sure...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmNjcubxfQA
Old July 13, 2010, 01:39 PM   #10
gregjc9

I was just reading this article this am on the very topic.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_t...reload_061604/

Bottom line, RWR requires fewer fine motor skills, which go out the wiindow under stress, and is therefore less likely to muff up under stress. I've been shooting IDPA for a couple of years now, and have yet to be required to do a tac reload.

Greg