The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old October 4, 2002, 11:06 PM   #1
Cowdogpete

Just got back from Powderhorn Ranch

I went to the beautiful Powderhorn Ranch in Colorado between Gunnison and Lake City for their Personal Protection Seminar

What a trip. The ranch is beautiful, the Aspens were in full color and the place is nestled in the powderhorn Valley, you couldn't ask for a nicer place to shoot. The cabins are well appointed and the customer service is amazing. Food was unbeleiveable both in quality and quantity. And the instrutors are with you 24 hours a day.

Greg Williams and his staff are all first rate. The training is amazing. They cover more information than I could digest. We did extensive hands on training covering unarmed, impact weapons, edged weapons, and pistol and shotgun. We shot in daylight, low light and dark. We did stoppage drills, shooting on the move, close quarter drills, transition drills, shooting from cover, and on and on and on. Greg and his staff can get anyone to shoot at their peak. The class had students with extensive firearms knowledge and some that had never picked up a gun before, all were shooting at levels far superior to most law enforcement levels. The other shooters were from all over the nation and from all walks of life. Professionals, Law Enforcement, Doctors, Competitive shooters, etc.

Greg is an amazing teacher. Fun and intelligent he can motivate anyone to find their full potential. he can get as indepth as anyone wants on legal, tactical, physiological and pschylogical aspects of defesive shooting. He shows you how to survive an armed encounter whether you are armed or not.

Greg's tactical and training philosophy is simple S.M.O.B.M. ( Show Me Or Blow Me ) Which translates to all the techniques he teaches are proven. He can and will talk theory but he only uses defensive principles that are proven by he or his instructors to have worked in a high stress encounter.

He also is willing to test, personally, any technique or weapon. During the course Greg was struck with an aluminum baseball bat while protecting himself with a flashlight. Full force. Also one of his Range Officers shot him with a bean bag round from a 12 gauge. ( he wore protection of course ) but the force was still amazing! He also allowed himself to be sprayed with OC pepper spray to demonstrate that with the proper will you can still get effective target hits after being sprayed. And he did.

If you want thorough training in personal protection I doubt you can get any better than Powderhorn Ranch. Don't let your training stop with just learning how to shoot. Get the real thing from Greg Williams. He has been there himself. How many instructors have proven their methods in actual armed incounters?
I highly recommend it.