The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 23, 2010, 09:45 AM   #1
Seentheah

Antique Rifles Info Needed

Hi: I would first like to say I haven't a clue about firearms other than not to be standing by the discharge end. I do know a bit about antiques though and I am presently helping someone liquidate his relative's estate. I would appreciate your help with these two rifles. One looks to be refurbished with contemporary and antique componenents (Manton) and the other looks to be as old as it is marked - US 1873. I would also appreciate your opinion on the rifles market value if that is permitted here.
Thanks you so very much,
Cynthia

Old November 23, 2010, 09:54 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

There are specialized publications with ads for firearms auctions. "Shotgun News" is one; there is a website as well as sales at the major chain bookstores. (Others here might know of more publications.) It might be that you could get some information by emailing your pictures to one or more of the auction companies.

Your rifles are in a far more specialized and limited collector's market than what most of us know about...
Old November 23, 2010, 10:22 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

Sorry, cannot help with values. A lot depends on many factors.
I would love to see the bottom target rifle in person. From the pics, I believe it is a modern made rifle with some original components. Sadly, it is not the best build job. It might shoot just fine but is not the work of a great craftsman. The lock alone might have a high value.
Old November 23, 2010, 10:37 AM   #4
mapsjanhere

Top one seems to be your standard Model 1873 trapdoor rifle, looks like remnants of the US stamp on the lock. Values for those are all over the chart, for $300 for a basic model to over 1k for top condition rares.
Old November 23, 2010, 11:01 AM   #5
overland

Isn't the top one a Springfield Trapdoor rifle?
Old November 23, 2010, 11:14 AM   #6
Seentheah

Thank you for the info on these rifles. I'm not quite sure about the value of the refurbished rifle. Should I look into values of the components? It has a flintlock (?) mechanism stamped Manton and a sight (?) stamped Lyman.
Old November 23, 2010, 12:02 PM   #7
Rifleman1776

Quote:
It has a flintlock (?) mechanism stamped
No, it is a percussion and probably was also in it's original configuration on a fine shotgun.
Old November 23, 2010, 12:18 PM   #8
mapsjanhere

The second rifle looks like a kit gun to me. The front side with the tunnel isn't period, the way the patch box is screwed onto the stock instead of inlaid, the machine decorations on the lock, it all says modern shooter to me.
Value probably a couple hundred bucks if you can get it.
Old November 23, 2010, 06:55 PM   #9
Seentheah

Ah yes, a kit gun. Could the Manton percussion thingamajig still be authentic? It tickles me to know that the one rifle I liked, the Springfield, is the real deal.
Old November 24, 2010, 12:33 PM   #10
Poodleshooter

Unlikely that's a period Joseph Manton lock, as he was sort of a pre-percussion era maker.
I've only seen flint locks marked as Mantons,though I suppose there must be conversions.
I would send an email to someone at the "track of the wolf" website (google it),and see if they can shed any light on who might have made this. I suspect it was a custom rifle built from kit parts,and Track of the Wolf is a pretty comprehensive seller of kit muzzleloader parts. Value is anybody's guess...
Old November 27, 2010, 11:21 PM   #11
Seentheah

Thank you, everyone has been very gracious with this newbie.

Tags
antique , flintlock , rifles