The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old October 2, 2002, 03:13 AM   #1
NJQuick1

Northeast Tennessee TFLers

I was just wondering if there are any TFLers here in the Tri-Cities, TN area. The ranges I know about are Kettlefoot in Bristol, Cherokee in Kingsport, Unaka in Johnson City, Tac2 in Greenville, and there is a public range in Unicoi. I'm interested as to who here is in my area and what range you shoot at. I Live in Gray but am moving to Blountville by the end of the month. So far, Kettlefoot and Unicoi are the only two I have been to.
Old October 2, 2002, 07:57 AM   #2
Pampers

Kettlefoot & Doc's

I presume you shoot IDPA.

Have you been to Oak Ridge to try out our new range?
NRA Golden Eagle
Old October 13, 2002, 08:21 PM   #3
Fly320s

Pampers,

I'm living in Maryville, now. Where's the Oak Ridge range that you're talking about?

Is it the same as ORSA?
Old October 13, 2002, 09:51 PM   #4
jagercola

NE Tennessee

I just got my first gun, a Walther P99 in .40. I go to Cherokee when I want to shoot. Great area to live in!
Old October 14, 2002, 07:05 AM   #5
Pampers

Fly328s,

Yes, ORSA. If you don't know, we now have a new 7 bay action pistol range. Our next match is this coming weekend (October 13 & 14). You can shoot either, or both, days.

For directions, go to http://www.guncraft.com/ipsc.html Note: entry is NOT through the regular ORSA entrance.

See you on the Range.
NRA Golden Eagle
Old October 15, 2002, 04:23 PM   #6
Fly320s

Pampers,

Thanks for the info. I checked out the new range today; looks pretty good.

I won't be there this weekend. Maybe some other time, though.

Some questions:

1. Is a member allowed to use the range at anytime or only during sanctioned events?

2. How do I find someone to sponser me as a new member? Or will my NRA membership suffice?

3. If the range is open at all times, am I allowed or required to bring my own targets and may I use the ORSA stands and equipment?

Thanks for the info.
Old October 16, 2002, 12:01 AM   #7
NoVAlooker

Hey pampers

I occaisionally travel to Tennessee and I decided to check the web page out you listed.

While looking at the competition pictures, I noticed there seemed to be someone holding an electronic box behind each of the shooters. Having never shot IDPA, I am dumbfoudned as to what it was. Please enlighten me.

Thanks

Also, looks like I will be in East Tennessee over Turkey weekend. Will you have a match then, and will you accept a IDPA newbie from out of state??

Old October 16, 2002, 07:09 AM   #8
Pampers

Answers

Fly328s,

1) Members receive a key and have access to the range at any time.
2) Come to a couple of events. Once we get to know you, I'm sure that you will find someone willing to sponsor you. Even if you don't (We're not TOO picky, after all, I'm a member!) you can apply without a sponsor, it just takes longer.

3) Target frames from the previous match remain up. You can bring your own targets, or use some of the used targets on hand.

NoVAlooker,

What you see is an electronic timer which "hears" the shots. In both IPSC & IDPA, essentially the shooter with the fastest time wins. Lower scoring shots, misses, and penelties are added to your time.

ORSA is an IPSC Club, but with all the classes, there's a place for everyone. There are IDPA matches in Bristol @ Kettlefoot, and Greenville (sorta) at Tac2.

Our matches are the first full weekend in each month, and the third weekend. Thanksgiving is after the fourth (Kettlefoot) weekend, and before the fifth weekend when no one schedules matches.

Check your Private Messages.
NRA Golden Eagle