The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 18, 2005, 04:54 PM   #1
yobos4vr

ammo ?'s

just got an 870 today, now it says i can use 2 3/4 or 3" magnum shells. what's the difference between the 2 3/4 and 3" shells besides size. also can someone explain or have a link to the different shells and what there used for.

thanks
Old June 18, 2005, 05:53 PM   #2
sm

Welcome to TFL !

http://www.winchester.com/

www.federalcartridge.com/

www.remington.com

The length of the shell refers to the length WHEN FIRED!

In layman' terms - The inside of the barrel, the chamber is long enough to accomodate a 3" fired shell lin your gun. Naturally this allows you fire the 2 3/4" length shells as well.

FWIW I finally have a 12 bore shotgun that has a 3" chamber. I have yet to fire one, for all my years I have felled any and everything with 2 3/4" shells.
[Exception is in .410]

Tidbit: To determine the dia of a pellet , subtract the shot size from 17.

For instance to find the pellet dia of #6 shot : 17-6= 11 therefore #6 shot is .11 in dia.

T4
Old June 19, 2005, 09:45 AM   #3
Lee Lapin

The 3" magnum ammo costs more and kicks harder because it has a larger shot charge and sometimes even more powder as well. People who are hunting waterfowl or turkeys can perhaps justify the expense and added pain, most other folks except macho masochists and people who insist more/bigger is better get along fine with standard 2 3/4" loads for general shotgunning. There are 2 3/4" maggie numb shells as well, see the remarks about 3" maggie numbs above.

You pays your money, you can buy whatever ammo you want tho... nevermind old fuddyduddies like sm and me, or that Dave McC guy if he shows up. Steve and Dave have likely spilled more shot than I have fired, I especially wouldn't listen to them of all people... 8^).

lpl/nc (who really likes reduced recoil 2 3/4" buck and slugs)
Old June 19, 2005, 10:06 AM   #4
sm

Gee whiz Lee, thanks (I think) - you forgot the part about how many vacuum cleaners I have "kilt" with live primers...

If you keep on doing what ya always done - ya keep on getting what you always got

Results - I like always getting results....so I keep on doing what I always done...

FWIW, Sears, Dirt Devil , Eureka, and Hoover vacuum cleaners. ain't live primer proof. I need to test a Oreck and Kirby - all in the name of science of course...

I really thought the Sears canister would survive...
Old June 19, 2005, 03:20 PM   #5
Death from Afar

The real advantage of the 3" bad boys is more pellets, and thus a denser pattern.

YOu pay for it on the recieiving end- I think a 3inch magnum shot shell has more recoil than a .373 H&H.