The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 2, 2013, 02:02 AM   #1
bamaranger

you gotta try this if you hunt from a tree stand!

I rigged up a 3 pt tactical sling to some rifles this season to try and solve the "what do I do with my rifle?" problem when hunting aloft. It worked like a charm.

The rifle hangs across my off knee, my hands are for for calls, snacks, drink, bino's, what ever. If I stand, the rifle goes with me. If the rifle slips, no worries. The sling is made by Spectre but I do not know what model, but it is adapting well to a variety rifles of different size and models.....heck, cable ties solve a lot of problems!

A bonus is that while hoofing it to the tree, I can sling the rifle around my neck, and snugged up a bit, it hangs just in front is a sort of patrol carry position, and I can walk easily, leaving both hands free for walking stick, balance, brush, etc.

I felt a little silly with a tac sling on a bolt sporter, but man....it works.
Old February 2, 2013, 06:44 AM   #2
globemaster3

Murphy's Laws of Combat #1:

If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid.

You found a practical solution that makes sense using a piece of gear (tactical sling, probably for an AR) not designed for that purpose (a hunting bolt action) and achieved positive results. Brilliant!
Old February 4, 2013, 03:02 AM   #3
bamaranger

uh...gosh

Thanks.

The sling is intended for AR, no doubt. So far its been on a Ruger 77mkII carbine, (synthetic, 20'' tube) a Mini-30, and of all things, a Mannlichier stocked Mossberg .243. All three rifles have sling shackles, which simplifed things a bit. Again, cable ties are your friend. But a rifle with swivel studs could be fitted with naked sling swivels, and you could rig from there.

BTW, the rifle is forward around my neck, 'cause the treestand is on my back!
Old February 4, 2013, 11:45 AM   #4
ff1911

I have thought about this for years, but never tried it. Thank you for giving the extra boot in the @$$ to git r done.