The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 25, 2002, 01:39 PM   #1
Gary H

Rotationally Loose Lockup on S&W 19

I just purchased a Mod. 19-4 from a fellow TFL'er. The gun looks like it had been barely shot, but the cylinder has about ten - fifteen degrees of play when locked-up. None of my revolvers have much play. I realize that lead in the face is a sign that this is a real problem. Is there a way to tighten this up just a bit? If I want to have this tightened, should it be sent back to the factory?
Old November 25, 2002, 02:07 PM   #2
Old Fuff

Two possibilities:

The yoke may not be locking tight. After DOUBLE CHECKING to be sure the cylinder is unloaded wiggle the cylinder while looking at it from the front and see if the yoke (the part that holds the cylinder) wiggles too.

Or the cylinder stop may fit loosely in the cylinder slots. If this is the case S&W make an oversized cylinder stop that can be gunsmith fitted to take out the excessive rotation.
Old November 25, 2002, 11:25 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Ten-fifteen degrees!!?? In clock terms, that is 2-2.5 minutes. That amount of play leads me to wonder if it is locking up at all.

Here is a quick test. Swing out the cylinder and see if the cylinder stop is protruding from the bottom of the cylinder "window". Then, pull the cylinder latch to the rear and hold it while working the trigger in the normal manner (the cylinder still swung out). You should see the cylinder stop moving up and down. You should also be able to wiggle the stop and see if it can move sideways that much and also see if the cylinder cuts are badly worn.

If all looks OK, close the cylinder and look between the bottom of the window and the cylinder to see if the stop is engaging.

The problem may be simply that oil or dirt has gummed up the cylinder stop and it is not functioning properly. If this seems to be the case, try some spray cleaner in the mechanism, especially in the gap ahead of the trigger when the trigger is back. (I like G96 Gun Treatment for this sort of thing, but it is not always available.)

Jim
Old November 26, 2002, 07:18 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Gary, if you do find you have side to side play in the stop it's window can be shimmed or an oversized part as was already mentioned could be fit to it. George
Old November 26, 2002, 11:30 AM   #5
Gary H

Thanks for all your help. I won't be picking up the gun for some time, but I'll post back here when I get a better look at the gun.