The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 7, 2014, 04:31 PM   #1
nch_2018

Good .22 rifle that will shoot lr, longs, and shorts

I am looking for a 22 rifle that will shoot long rifle, long, and short rounds. Preferably a bolt or semi. I really like the marlin model 60 but I don't know if shorts will cycle through it. If anyone has experience with shorts in the 60 please let me know.
Old July 7, 2014, 04:48 PM   #2
WIL TERRY

THE BEST RIFLE TO SHOOT all three is the Martlin M39 leverguns.
NO on the 22S in the M60.
Old July 7, 2014, 06:02 PM   #3
JWT

Many of the older pump action .22s like the Winchester 62A and Winchester 61 handle all three quite nicely.
Old July 7, 2014, 06:13 PM   #4
Microgunner

The Remington 552 Speedmaster semi-auto shoots all 3 and is a very fine rifle.
Old July 7, 2014, 06:47 PM   #5
Pahoo

Marlin, Savage or Stevens !!!

Quote:
Preferably a bolt or semi.
Here are some problems that you will run into and there is a difference between old stuff and new. When dealing with older ones, there were a bunch that were rated for all three. I actually own a Semi, that is rated for LR, in auto and Longs and Shorts for bolt operation. You can shoot all in tube fed bolts but not when mag. fed. Practically all levers and pumps are rated for all three. Bottom line is that you will have more options with older rifles than new ones. ....

Look for a tube fed bolt, like Marlin or equal.

Be Safe !!!
Old July 7, 2014, 09:49 PM   #6
kilimanjaro

The Marlin or Glenfield Model 60 handle the three rimfires, no problem. They are marked S,L,LR on the barrel. Newer ones may be LR only.

Fun little rifles and well-made.
Old July 8, 2014, 01:27 AM   #7
weblance

The Remington 512 is a tube fed, bolt action and will handle all three. Its an amazingly accurate rifle, and fine examples can be found for $100. Some had grooved receivers for scope rings, some did not. Try to find one that has a grooved receiver. Mine was made in 1955, and it still shoots like a dream.
Old July 8, 2014, 06:17 AM   #8
Wishoot

Check out The Henry H001.

Mine shoots everything, is quite accurate, and a ton of fun. Best of all, it's pretty inexpensive.
Old July 8, 2014, 07:28 AM   #9
Unlicensed Dremel

Here are some .22s I've had that will cycle the shorter rounds great:

Henry pump
Henry lever
Marlin 39 lever
Rem 572 pump
Rossi 62 pump

Now, on turnbolts, most WILL cycle them as well, but perhaps not 100% or 99.5% - you may get an occasional hangup. Here are two bolt action repeaters that cycled shorts I've had:

Winchester 67
CZ 452

Running the bolt fast seems to work better than slowly.

I'm sure there are quite a few others. Semi-autos? Nah, not reliable. Only one that does cycle shorts is the Rem 552 speedmaster.

Let me add that the Marlin 39 lever and the Henry H001 lever will even cycle Aguila Super Colibris, which is pretty impressive, given their funky weight distribution. I think it's fair to say that a lever of some flavor, particularly those two, is likely your most reliable repeater for shorts. Although I don't think I ever had a jam with the pumps either - I just cannot remember if I tried Aguila Colibris in them or not. I gave my Rossi 62 to my nephew so can't test it right now.
Old July 8, 2014, 08:46 AM   #10
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlicensed Dremel
Here are two bolt action repeaters that cycled shorts I've had:

Winchester 67
FWIW the Model 67 is a single-shot. It will certainly fire Shorts, but I'm not certain whether it's proper to say that it "cycles" them.

OTOH the 56, 57, 69, 69A, 72, 72A, and 75 are bolt repeaters and will legitimately cycle all three rounds. The only hitch is that, other than the tube-mag 72 and 72A, these rifles use box mags- the same ones, in fact- and a special mag with an internal spacer is required to feed Shorts. I have a 69, and I can personally vouch that they're jam-o-matics if you try and load more than one Short in the standard L-LR magazine.

Numrich currently lists the Short mag:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/984110.htm

I suspect it's a reproduction, as original Winchester-logo (as opposed to "W" or underline-"W" marked repro) mags are collectible and can get expensive; however, I have several repro L-LR magazines, and they function just fine. I can't imagine that the repro Short mags are any worse.

BTW these are all fine rifles, but if you're looking for a shooter, I recommend bypassing the 56 & 57, as they're quite expensive for no particular reason other than their rarity.

Last edited by carguychris; July 8, 2014 at 05:24 PM. Reason: forgot about the 72A...
Old July 8, 2014, 10:06 AM   #11
sm

I run a Rem 510 Targetmaster. Just a simple single shot, no mags, no tubes...just proven simplicity.

Having assisted kids, especially finding out a kid is left eye dominant, I do like the H&R / NEF break open rifles.
Old July 8, 2014, 11:17 AM   #12
psyfly

I have a Rossi 62 which will NOT cycle anything but LR.

Not yet mentioned are the Winchesters (9422 and 250) and Browning (BL22) lever action rifles which will handily feed and fire anything I've fed through them to include the Aguila powderless which are completely silent through these three rifles.

As to the Rossi, I've read that they originally designed it as a copy of the Win 62a and it was made to feed s, l, and lr, but they had so much trouble with feed problems that they eventually eliminated the option.

Now, the Rossi simply fails to pick up the round if it's not a lr (no harm, no foul).

I say 'no harm' because I once had to disassemble both a Sears .22 semi-auto and a Ruger Mark I (and destroy the rounds in the process) to remove Aguila powderless rounds I had tried to get to feed in each of them.

Will
Old July 8, 2014, 03:09 PM   #13
Destructo6

Remington 552 Speedmaster.

Semi-auto and will handle all 3, even mixed in the same tube.

Keep all of them clean.