The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 4, 2014, 09:39 PM   #1
Bigfatts

.500 S&W Handi Rifle?

For years I had been thinking of getting an H&R Buffalo Classic in .45-70. Well my Brother-in-law beat me to it. He's having a lot of fun with it so I thought I might pick up some flavor of single shot. I recall them making a Handi Rifle in .500 S&W but I don't see it listed on their website any more. I see a couple on GB but they're of the wood stock variety. I remember seeing this particular rifle in their synthetic trim with Truglo sights and I thought it looked pretty good. Anybody know if they still make this beast? And does anyone have any experience with them in this caliber?
Old July 5, 2014, 09:18 AM   #2
taylorce1

.500 S&W Handi's had a problem with the frame stretching because the round is a little hot for it. The head space would get a little loose, H&R discontinued them a few years back for obvious reasons. I'd stick to the .45-70 Govt either in the Buffalo classic or normal configuration.

What would be really cool is if you could locate the target model in .38-55 Win.
Old July 5, 2014, 10:53 AM   #3
Adrian

If you're not hung up on the Handi-Rifle specifically, Thompson Center makes the Encore in 500 S&W, and you can put it together with all kinds of stock/forearm options. From the factory the only 500 S&W barrel is 20" fluted, but Match Grade Machine or Bullberry will be happy to make you something different if you need it.

It does cost more than the Handi-Rifle, but from the ones I've seen the quality is top-notch.
Matt.25:40
Old July 5, 2014, 11:34 AM   #4
Goatwhiskers

If you're still considering it, bear in mind that the Handi is a light weight rifle and the recoil with factory rounds is brutal. Of course you can always load it down to more reasonable levels. Personally I don't really need something that will go thru a 6" sapling and kill the deer on the other side. GW
Old July 5, 2014, 12:09 PM   #5
Bigfatts

Taylorce1- I suspected it may have been something along those lines. It seemed like an awful stout round for such a small action. Back to the drawing board I guess.

I'm not set on a Handi rifle, they just seem to be inexpensive and fun. Never could warm up to the looks of the TC. If I were to get one of them though, it would be a .405 Winchester. Just because.
Old July 5, 2014, 03:16 PM   #6
tdoyka

Adrian If you're not hung up on the Handi-Rifle specifically, Thompson Center makes the Encore in 500 S&W, and you can put it together with all kinds of stock/forearm options. From the factory the only 500 S&W barrel is 20" fluted, but Match Grade Machine or Bullberry will be happy to make you something different if you need it.

It does cost more than the Handi-Rifle, but from the ones I've seen the quality is top-notch.

mgm does wonderful work!!! i use a tc encore with 20vartarg and 6.5creedmoor(both 16 1/4" heavy barrels) and they go go .2" and .3" at 100 yards. since i had a stroke, i was happy to get 1 to 1 1/2" out of them, but due to mgm's(i don't know the word?!) quality, i sit back and just go .....ahhhhh....ohhhhhh.....
Old July 5, 2014, 03:41 PM   #7
Unlicensed Dremel

Yeah, the "Katahdin" barrel version of this is where it's at - 20" bbl with nice iron sights...the Encore I mean. Perhaps the ultimate looooong-trek big game rifle, espec. in coastal brownie country.

Brutal recoil though, as mentioned (not sure if more less or same as Handi Rifle, though - I suppose slightly less). I just watched a good movie called "Pain & Gain" - I guess it fits; you get to gain some shoulder pain with those.
Old July 6, 2014, 03:47 AM   #8
Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfatts
I'm not set on a Handi rifle, they just seem to be inexpensive and fun. Never could warm up to the looks of the TC. If I were to get one of them though, it would be a .405 Winchester. Just because.
One of the big selling points of the Encore is the easy caliber switching. Get them both, the .500 S&W for something "light" (by comparison) and the .405 Winchester for those days when you really hate your shoulder and want to teach it a lesson. It's just an extra barrel; you don't even need to visit your FFL again.

Too bad Freedom Arms doesn't build their Model 2008 as a rifle. Even the Encore would be cheap by comparison, but you'd have really world-class custom-shop looks and quality out of the bargain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlicensed Dremel
Brutal recoil though, as mentioned (not sure if more less or same as Handi Rifle, though - I suppose slightly less). I just watched a good movie called "Pain & Gain" - I guess it fits; you get to gain some shoulder pain with those.
I've always heard the hand cannons and ultralight magnums described as guns that "kill on one end and wound on the other."
Matt.25:40
Old July 7, 2014, 11:23 AM   #9
WV_gunner

I've got one in .45-70 and like it. The Buffalo Classic looks nice but I'd be afraid to scratch it and after hunting with my Handing Rifle, I've realized a short barrel single shot is the best thing to carry. Maybe you should buy a plain Jane NEF in .45-70, I can guarantee you'll like the way it handles more than a Buffalo Classic.
If you got the extra money and don't mind the weight, how about a double barrel? I remember Cabella's has some imported double .45-70 that's around $800. I've never shot one but probably one of the nicest guns I've handled.
Old July 7, 2014, 03:38 PM   #10
Bigfatts

Is that the Baikal double maybe? I had one of the ones Remington sold under their name, in .30-06. It was not a bad rifle but the stock was short and it only really liked 180gr. In a rifle that light, with an ill fitting stock, recoil was not pleasant.

I was really just looking at this from a 'that'll be fun!' perspective. For hunting I use a Winchester 94 in .375 Winchester or an old commercial Mauser in .30-06. Doesn't get much better than that.