Old May 19, 2013, 01:55 AM   #1
rmocarsky

Fobus

Gunners,

What is your opinipn of Fobus holsters?

Rmocarsky
Old May 19, 2013, 03:51 PM   #2
JerryM

I have used them as range holsters for years with satisfaction. I have a P3AT that I carry in a Fobus Paddle holster daily. I do not use them as carry holsters otherwise primarily because my leather holsters stay closer to the body.

Although many hate them I am not personally aware of any failures among the people I know who use them for range or SD carry.

For serious carry with most guns I recommend a leather holster from the top makers such as, Sparks, Nossar, Brommeland, Alessi and others. They are a little expensive, but last a lifetime. I have never regretted the prices I have paid.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old May 19, 2013, 04:41 PM   #3
FireForged

friends don't let friends wear fobus
Old May 19, 2013, 05:19 PM   #4
sam colt

Fireforged Nailed it.
Likely to get you killed if you have to use it!
Old May 19, 2013, 06:58 PM   #5
JerryM

Sam,
Not true. In what way would it get you killed? As I stated I have used Fobus Paddle holsters for maybe 20 years at the range and drawing from them thousands of times over the years when I shot over 1,000 rounds per month. I have used them for 1911s and several other guns including J-Frames. I have never had a failure or breakage. I have never replaced one. Sometimes you have to do some stretching so the gun fits properly. If it holds the gun tightly, releases when drawn, and the paddle does not come off, then tell me how it can get you killed.

I know and saw the video some years ago where one man ran up to another and broke his Fobus Paddle. A couple of things wrong with that.
1. Would you let someone run up to you and grab your gun and holster and rip it off? Boy! I would not. Mine is under a shirt anyway and no one knows I am wearing it.

2. I asked a friend who was as strong as the average person to rip mine off at the range. He grabbed it, but was unable to break it.

While I agree that the Fobus is a cheap holster, I think some of you have read or listened to a lot of garbage.
I did read on the forum, not sure which one, that a member had seen Fobus holsters with rusted connectors break. So What?? Take care of your equipment and it will not fail you.

So I do contend that while it is not a great holster, and except as I stated that I use it daily with my KT P3AT, I use good leather for all my other carry.

But if a guy is strapped for cash he can get a Fobus and it will serve until he can buy a good holster.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old May 19, 2013, 07:09 PM   #6
shouldazagged

My only experience with them was a dozen years or so ago. In an LGS, with the owner's permission and the gun unloaded, I tried a J-frame in one of the paddle holsters. The one I tried didn't have a tension adjustment screw. My belt and waistband were quite snug. I drew holster and all four successive times. I wasn't reassured.

Several years later I bought an Uncle Mike's Kydex OWB holster. Almost never carry that way, but the UM has been satisfactory when I have. Good retention, not too hard to draw from.
Old May 19, 2013, 07:54 PM   #7
QuarterHorse

I have two, one for my single stack 1911 and one for my XD9sc. I've worn them mostly at the range but gave them quite a work out. Every now and again I've worn them out in public. My ONLY complaint is that they stick away from the body a bit, otherwise, no complaints.
Old May 19, 2013, 08:08 PM   #8
magnum777

I bought 2 Fobus holsters, one for my GP100 and one for my Px4 storm, they where cheaper than the ones they sell at most other dealers and they fit my guns good, but I find them to hard to pull the gun out. This would not be good a self defense or other emergency situation.
Old May 19, 2013, 08:29 PM   #9
QuarterHorse

Quote:
I bought 2 Fobus holsters, one for my GP100 and one for my Px4 storm, they where cheaper than the ones they sell at most other dealers and they fit my guns good, but I find them to hard to pull the gun out. This would not be good a self defense or other emergency situation.
Both of mine have tension adjusters you can loosen/tighten accordingly.
Old May 19, 2013, 08:29 PM   #10
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I have Fobus holsters or a compact 1911, Walther P22, and Sig P220. While I prefer my Galco Summer Carry holster, I have no problem with Fobus at all... All three of mine work great.. They are broken in so the retention isn't crazy strong.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old May 19, 2013, 08:35 PM   #11
JerryM

I found it necessary to place something that would expand the holster in some of them I have seen, such as my Glock. Otherwise it was too tight. Don't we have the same situation with new leather holsters and have to put a plastic bag or something around the gun to stretch the leather? If not it would be dangerous. I have some leather holsters that I could not withdraw the gun after holstering it until it had stretched overnight or longer.

Once I stretched the Fobus it has been fine for several years. New models have a tension screw that has worked well for me.

I agree that they do not lay close enough to the body in most of my guns to easily conceal.

They are not the equal of a good leather holster, but if money is tight they work after making sure you can draw the gun from them.
Old October 8, 2013, 02:39 AM   #12
Bolinger

I agree, have used Fobus holsters for year with no issue. They are strong and lightweight. I have a paddle holster for my HK USP like this one http://www.actiongear.com.au/56-fobu...e-holster.html and I also have the double stack dual mag 6900 http://www.actiongear.com.au/55-fobu...e-holster.html For guys doing undercover or CPP work, I find they work well, but are really fast to draw when you need to. Black hawk has a CQC Holster as well that I have seen, and had a thumb lock on it, which I thought was built well as well and had added protection of a locking catch. At this stage Im happy with the Fobus, both for Glock, USP and a browning.
Old October 8, 2013, 11:32 AM   #13
Noreaster

I have one for my P229 and it blows, if I run the gun will bounce out. I have one for my LCP and it works great. I also had one for my S&W442 and it worked good.
Old October 8, 2013, 12:02 PM   #14
Tinner666

I've got two and one was awful tight. On the Fobus site, it said to spread the top bit. I ddi and now it's slick as glass with good retention. They just need 'settling' in. Once I picked up a nice thick carry belt, I found it holds the firearm tight to my lower rib and comfortable too.
I now believe in 'get yourself a good carry belt!'.
Old October 8, 2013, 02:56 PM   #15
Wyosmith

I have had MANY MANY of the students come to my classes with Fobus holsters for the last 15 years or so. I have never seen any of them have problems with them.

I wish they would make a paddle holster for N Frame S&Ws however.
So if I were to lodge a complaint, it would be that they don't make some holsters that they should.

I have 3 "loner" handguns. A 1911 for students that want to use it, and also a Ruger MK2 that I loan out to student who come for a basic class and do not yet have a handgun. Both of them are in Fobus holsters and I have a Left Hand Fobus for the 1911 for those that need it. My LH holster for the Ruger is leather, because I could not find a LH Fobus for that gun.
I also have a LH and a RH Fobus that fit a Glock 17 for students that want to use the Glock.

All in all I have been pleased with the Fobus holsters. No complaints so far.
Old October 9, 2013, 12:40 AM   #16
JimmyR

The Fobus paddle holster is, IMHO, a decent range holster. I would not use one for carry: For me, they do not conceal well, and I will not open carry without positive retention.
Old October 9, 2013, 07:55 AM   #17
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

It's a cheap holster, but certainly a step up from sewn nylon.
Old October 11, 2013, 09:51 PM   #18
FireForged

Quote:
I have had MANY MANY of the students come to my classes with Fobus holsters for the last 15 years or so. I have never seen any of them have problems with them.
how much to your really evaluate the students holsters as it relates to physical combat? I am not saying that fobus wouldn't do just fine for walking around playing all nice... its when real danger and physical combat come into play that I prefer something else.
Old October 11, 2013, 11:08 PM   #19
JerryM

Fire said "how much to your really evaluate the students holsters as it relates to physical combat? I am not saying that fobus wouldn't do just fine for walking around playing all nice... its when real danger and physical combat come into play that I prefer something else."

Why?
I carry my P3AT in a Fobus paddle. I do not like paddle holsters for larger guns as they do not hold the gun as close to the body as the pancake. However I would not worry about it when "physical combat comes into play." It is about perfect for OWB and the P3AT.

Jerry
Old October 12, 2013, 11:10 AM   #20
FireForged

Why? because if you have not put any effort into testing a fobus holster under simulated violent circumstances then you really have no idea if the holster will perform within your expectations or not. Its all part of the training and learning process that is typically associated with most life-safety gear sets. I am not saying that this should be part of a basic firearms class but if someone is going to say that fobus is just fine for SD carry, I am just curious as to what method was used to make that determination.

Again, if this is a holster for walking around the range, yeah I would use it for that.

Last edited by FireForged; October 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old October 12, 2013, 01:49 PM   #21
JerryM

Thanks for the reply. I think it is not very useful. I wonder what scenario you would conjure up to determine whether a holster is suitable or not?

The purpose of using a holster is to secure the gun and make the gun available when needed. I think you are over analyzing it. What is your experience that influences your thinking on that issue? Is it some training class?
What "simulated violent conditions" have you encountered or would expect to encounter?

In my opinion the burden of proof is on you to establish that the Fobus is not suitable for SD. Give it a try.

Thanks,
Jerry
Old October 12, 2013, 02:55 PM   #22
FireForged

There are many commonplace universally accepted practices that relate to testing, planning and scenario development in the arena of Protective Services, Physical Combat and Personal Self Defense. What I am talking about is certainly nothing new, foreign or "conjured". I can see you disagree, and that is perfectly ok.

As far as fobus being good enough.. everyone has their own opinion, and I certainly have mine (based on my own experiences). A google search of fobus fail uncovers many who have additional opinions. Good luck to all..

Last edited by FireForged; October 12, 2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old October 14, 2013, 10:21 PM   #23
JimmyR

I personally see where my fobus holsters (i have two) can easily fail. I have practiced drawing from both of the ones I have, and because of the design of the holster, if I do not draw absolutely straight up, I end up either pulling the gun and holster from my waistband or pulling at my holster, straining the screw that holds the pieces together. The draw is very unforgiving, not really something I want when my adrenaline is pumping...