The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 3, 2014, 11:15 PM   #1
schill32

bolt problem

I have a Weatherby vanguard 3006 about 3yrs old, when chambering a live round closing the bolt the rifle fired for the second time one last year and one now and no fingers near the trigger, thank goodness I point the rifle in a safe direction every time I load it. So has this ever happen to any weatherby owners .
Wheatherby claims there is no problem with their bolts.

Need some advice.

Thanks Steve
Old December 3, 2014, 11:17 PM   #2
RodTheWrench

How light is the trigger? Has it had any adjustments/gunsmithing done to it? I'd be looking there before the bolt.
Old December 4, 2014, 01:26 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

If the rifle is dirty, clean it - including removing the action from the stock and thoroughly cleaning the entire trigger group.
Have a gunsmith safety-check the rifle, if you don't know how.

If the rifle is clean...
Don't ask customer service any questions, just tell them it is firing when the bolt is closed.
It's a dangerous condition that can result in serious harm to you or others.

STOP shooting the rifle.
Put it away until Weatherby gives you a return authorization number and has you ship it in for repair.
Do not shoot the rifle.
Do not loan the rifle to anyone.
It is experiencing a legitimately dangerous malfunction, and needs to be fixed.

I'm not just talking about the unplanned discharge of a bullet heading where ever the rifle is pointed, either. If it discharges before the bolt lugs are engaged far enough, the cartridge can send shrapnel into anyone nearby when it detonates, and even blow the bolt back into your hand (or worse).
This is a genuinely dangerous malfunction, not something to shrug your shoulders at.

As for the problem...
I don't own any Vanguards, but I have seen it happen before. In both instances, it was caused by reloaders using overly-hot loads and piercing primers. Pieces of primer interfered with sear and striker engagement.
Old December 4, 2014, 01:32 AM   #4
globemaster3

Quote:
STOP shooting the rifle.
Put it away until Weatherby gives you a return authorization number and has you ship it in for repair.
Do not shoot the rifle.
Do not loan the rifle to anyone.
It is experiencing a legitimately dangerous malfunction, and needs to be fixed.
No better advice could be given.

I own a Vanguard in .243. Bought it in 2004. I've NEVER had it do anything like that, nor should it!

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old December 4, 2014, 09:25 AM   #5
GunsmithFox

I have this happen if I I don't clean 4 year old .410 break barrel that I use (I know it a little different) if I don't keep it clean and I close the barrel it will go off because the firing pin sticks. All I have to do is break it down and clean it then its good to go.

But like others have said, don't use it. You could have a lapse and get distracted (not saying you WILL but its a possibility) and chamber it and have it go off not pointed in a safe direction. Im not questioning your gun safety knowledge im just saying.

As a gunsmith I would recommend cleaning it fully. Break it down as far as you know how to and clean it. If it still happens then take it to a gunsmith.

On a side note to those who think a good cleaning wont work, ive "fixed" so many firearms that had issues and all they needed was a good cleaning.

Remington 770 30-06
Old December 4, 2014, 10:37 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

If the rifle is firing when the bolt is closed, it certainly needs to go to a gunsmith. It could be worn/broken/ defective parts, or it could be some foreign matter keeping the parts from working properly.

DIrt, crud, thickened oil, the maker's original packing grease (not a lubricant), or maybe a bit of pine needle or some other debris, getting into the right part of the action (trigger/sear/bolt) engagement areas can cause this too.
Old December 4, 2014, 12:57 PM   #7
AllenJ

I picked up a Vanguard S2 a few years ago and have put hundreds of rounds through it without a problem. As stated above go through Weatherby or use your local gunsmith but until it is deemed safe by one of them I would not shoot it again.
Old December 4, 2014, 08:40 PM   #8
Mobuck

There was a recall on some of those Howa bolts several years back.
You may have one of those OR you may have one that was tinkered with OR you may have a sear that's sticking or clabbered up with gummy lube.
Regardless, you need to have the problem taken care of.
Old December 4, 2014, 10:21 PM   #9
schill32

Thanks for the replies, I called Weatherby and they gave me a return auth # to send it to them and they will look it over. I had no work done on it . When I first got it I told them about the bolt problem and they said I might have had my finger on trigger when closing the bolt and thought they might be right, and now I know my fingers were away from trigger even the first time. When it goes off like that it just scares the hell out of you.
I know it is a very dangerous situation and now I will wait for Weatherby to look it over. They should have suggested this the first time.
Thanks again
Steve
Old December 5, 2014, 02:07 AM   #10
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I know it is a very dangerous situation and now I will wait for Weatherby to look it over.
Understood.
I didn't mean to come across as if talking down to you, or anything like that. I just wanted to make sure that someone pointed out that it's more than just the bullet coming out of the barrel to worry about. Having a cartridge detonate out-of-battery can be a very dangerous thing.

This, for example, is what happened to a PSL firing out of battery, and how close the operator came to losing part of his face: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZOGb-gaYfs