The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 27, 2009, 03:02 PM   #1
gglass

My New .44 Mag Deer Slayer

I just picked up my Christmas present. Yea, I know... It's only October, but it was just too good to pass up.

This is the Rossi Model 92 Puma (Scout). This rifle is chambered in .44 Magnum and is the scourge of every deer in Northern Indiana.

I always try to buy new products from American manufacturers (just to do my part), but all bets are off when it comes to used. This fine little shooter came from a local guy who had not even fired it yet, but needed money for the upcoming holidays. That makes for a great Christmas all around.

I am already starting to hear Christmas songs in my head.
Old October 27, 2009, 03:45 PM   #2
longranger

Is that typical of the Rossi lever guns that the lever does not pull up tight against the belly of the stock? Can that be adjusted?
Old October 27, 2009, 08:50 PM   #3
musicmatty

Great looking gun and of course that will get the job done on anything at a reasonable range. The lever is not designed to sit flat up against the belly of the butt..because, there is a little safety button hanging out if you look closely..That button has to be fully depressed for the trigger to be pulled. The later Winchester model 94s were like that also..a great safety feature.
Old October 31, 2009, 11:15 AM   #4
gglass

I can only say that I am exceedingly happy with the accuracy of my Rossi Model 92 Puma.

This is my best 10-shot group from 50-yards. I went for the heart in honor of the Clint Eastwood movie, "A Fistful of Dollars". This is the movie where the main bad guy (Ramon) shoots Clint in the heart several times with his Winchester Model 1892 only to find that Clint was wearing a metal plate under his poncho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiQntJC-Efw

OK, OK... So my target wasn't moving and I was using a scope, but I was using a Model 1892. Jeesh!

Old October 31, 2009, 12:16 PM   #5
CraigC

Quote:
Is that typical of the Rossi lever guns that the lever does not pull up tight against the belly of the stock? Can that be adjusted?
It's rather typical of the 1892 design. There is no safety button to be depressed when the lever closes. Because of the vertical locking lugs the action closes much more surely than other lever actions.