The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 11, 2009, 06:54 PM   #1
Bella

2nd Shotgun?

I read the .410 vs. 28 gauge thread. Now it has me rethinking my next shotgun purchase.

I currently use a 12 gauge autoloader for bird hunting. I have been wanting to get a second shotgun for lighter bird hunting. I was looking at getting a 20 gauge. Now the 28 gauge has me rethinking this.

I realize that 20 gauge ammo readily available at fair prices. The opposite is true of 28 gauge ammo. I suppose I could get a reloader for it. I do like that 28's can be had in very light guns without making recoil intolerable.

So, a 20 or a 28? What would you do?
Old September 11, 2009, 07:07 PM   #2
oneounceload

Main questions - WHAT are you going to hunt?
HOW many shells do you think you'll use?
Are you also going to shoot clay targets? If so, which ones?

For me, I have 12, 20 and 28 - the 12's are strictly clay target guns - too big, too heavy for hunting

The 20's I have are a mix - some are target guns, some hunting - good for wild pheasant, and far-flushing wild quail or chukar

My 28's are just FUN!. The heavy 28 semi is a great target gun. The O/U is an awesome quail/dove gun and would be great for other birds chokes properly and loaded right. (I haven't had a chance yet to try them on wild chukar or pheasant)

Many 28's are built on 20 frames - great for targets or doves where you don't walk a lot. Others are built on true 28 frames and weigh less than 6# - great for walking a lot and shooting some.

Analyze your personal scenario and try some of both - then decide
Old September 12, 2009, 12:13 AM   #3
zippy13

Bella,
Oneounceload is right on the mark about evaluating you gun needs. May I add, shoot a lot of guns before you decide. Also, some 20-ga fixed breech guns are built on 12-ga frames. So, shoot and due your homework before you decide.
As oneounceload said, 28's are fun. Please, add my vote to that. And, the more 28 shooters we can get, the more respect they'll have with the gun and ammo manufacturers.
Old September 12, 2009, 06:05 AM   #4
mwar410

I personally don't own a 20 ga. ( I shoot 20 ga. in competition w/tubes). my main upland game gun is a 28 ga. 870. I think a light loaded 12 can do anything a 20 will. The 28 gives you more options