The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old September 22, 2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Beagle333

Introducing, the MP 312-159

This week, I tried out my MiHec HP mold, the 312-159. It casts pretty well with 70/30 Pure/Coww and 2% pewter. Yes, I ran them a little soft. I want to see how soft the GC's will let me shoot, and I want to get the HP to stay on the front of it, if I can. Anyway, they really started dropping at 740 degrees and I think they are a wonderful looking boolit. I'm going to run this one through the 30-30. The nose drops at .302, so it will need just a touch of sizing, but I have a Redding sizer bushing coming this week so I should be able to nose-size the first 1/3 of it to .300 fairly easily.
Anyway... it looks like fun. The crimp-to-nose length is exactly the same as the 311291, and that one does chamber in the Win 94 at a .301 diameter. There just won't be nearly as much in the neck as with the 291.

Have a Colt and a smile.
Old September 22, 2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Beagle333

(forgot)...
They drop at 154 grains.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old September 23, 2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Rangefinder

OOOOOH, PRETTY! Try 7gr. of that Red Dot I know you have on the shelf. It should put you in the neighborhood of 1300fps and feel like a .22lr on the recoil. Max is 9gr. for about 1450. With your softer alloy you should do just fine, and the tin you added should keep the nose together in the 7-8gr. range pretty well--looks like a pretty stout nose. If it holds together through the Red Dot range and you want to push it faster, switch to H335 starting at about 15gr. and work up. That will pick up the velocity curve where the Red Dot left off. You won't hit max charge on H335 till about 30gr. but that's a jacketed bullet load by that point. I've run lead through 22gr. with a clean bore, and you're hitting upward of 1800fps+ before that point (too much for a cast HP by then anyway). That is gonna be a FUN boolit to develop!

BUT, you DO realize you're going to be expected to post results of that boolit, too--right? You can't post something so pretty without following up with what it can do!

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old September 23, 2013, 08:52 PM   #4
Beagle333

Hey hey! They chamber as cast! I'm in business! (And you're right, I still got 4 lbs of RedDot that I haven't broken the seal on.)

Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; September 23, 2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old September 23, 2013, 10:14 PM   #5
Vance

What are those gouges on the bullet? Will they effect accuracy?
Old September 23, 2013, 11:51 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Quote:
What are those gouges on the bullet? Will they effect accuracy?
That's from contacting the rifling when he chambered it. Not only will it not hurt anything, but it's generally beneficial to have that contact (better accuracy and consistency).

Beagle, those look pretty tasty. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on a few for my Marlin 336.
Old September 27, 2013, 10:37 PM   #7
Beagle333

I hope this is enough.

Well, one good thing about 'em.... they sure don't take much lube.

Have a Colt and a smile.
Old September 28, 2013, 03:09 AM   #8
Mike / Tx

Not going to say that this will be the case with your barrel, but in general I have found those that take a little to lube, usually have less of an issue settling down so to speak, if I run a patch swabbed down good with alox through the bore prior to shooting. Once I get a couple through it is no issue. Just sort of a conditioning prior to the first lead traveling down the bare tube.

Just one of those little things I have found that works out great. Oh and that was a tip from a fellow who has plenty more experience than I do with cast.