The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 2, 2013, 07:45 PM   #1
bedbugbilly

Anyone have one of the .32 cal Traditions "Crockett Rifle"?

Does anybody have one of these? Am looking for some information.

I've been toying with the idea of building a "Ohio" style half stock for general plinking but by the time I get the parts/pieces - I'm looking at around $600 - unfortunately, I have many of the parts but they are at my home in AZ - and I really don't have the time right now to build another rifle. Much of my plinking now is at 25 yards and sometimes 50 yards. I've been looking at the Traditions "Crockett Rifle" - from the reviews I read on DGW all of them were positive and spoke well of the little rifle. I haven't had the opportunity to see on in person though but have thought about just ordering one as they look they would fit the bill for a good little plinker. So . . . if you have one, can you advise . . .

What is the stock made from? They say "hardwood" - are we talking birch or some other that is stained to look like walnut?

The photo shows a wedge barrel retainer - does this have a "hooked breech" so that the barrel can be easily removed for cleaning?

Lock - standard traditional mainspring or a coil main spring? Are you satisfied with the function of the lock?

I know it has an aluminum ramrod - I can live with that. Am basically interested in your thoughts on overall quality and fit and finish. Are you satisfied with how it shoots - accuracy, etc.? Would you recommend the purchase of one?

Overall, from the photos, it at least has the pleasing visual appearance of a traditional half stock which is what I'm looking for along with decent function and accuracy. I had a .32 CVA squirrel rifle a number of years ago and while it wasn't the highest quality, it was a decent little shooter - like an idiot I sold it and now wished I hadn't. I figured that perhaps one of the Crockett Rifles would be good to cart back and forth across the country without taking up a lot of room in transport and still allow for some decent plinking.

Thanks for any info and opinions - greatly appreciated.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 3, 2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Captchee

i restocked one a few years ago . Owner wanted a full stock for his grand daughter .
He wanted everything interchangeable back inot the original stock so that when she out grew the rifle , he could swap everything back into the original

yes the barrel had a hook breech .
stock was low grade maple , some are Birch
lock is a leaf spring lock . Not real high quality but reasonable
over all they shoot really well .
factory finish is not to bad as factory stuff goes .
Old June 3, 2013, 12:18 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

Thanks Captchee - appreciate the information. You did a beautiful job on the re-stocking!

I was able to find an old auction listing that showed some close-ups of the rifle. Overall, it looked pretty good (in the photos) for a production rifle. I had to smile when I saw the typical round brass lock bolt washers - reminded me of the CVA squirrel rifle I had at one time. I figured if I go with one, I'll loose those in a hurry and put a couple of inlays in to substitute for those.

From what I've read in some of the reviews on them, some sight adjustment may be necessary (I hear more about windage than elevation) but overall, they seem to be pretty reliable and owners seem to like them. As long as the lock holds up and makes it go bang - that's all a person can ask for.

I liquidated most of my rifles since we now are back and forth to AZ for the winter - figured I wouldn't be shooting them as much. Now I find that the craving is getting worse to smell burnt powder! I still have my flint Fusil de Chase and my .36 H & A under hammer but really miss a traditional side cap lock. I figured one of these might take care of the craving until I get the time to build another rifle. I'm getting too old for the kick of large bores so for up to 50 yards, a .32 will do just fine.

I've done a number of searches on the Crockett Rifle - I'm surprised to see such a variance in prices. Cheapest one I've found yet is $399 - haven't checked on shipping yet though. Some seem to have kits for them but they aren't much cheaper than the completed rifle. If I can find a kit at a reasonable price, I may go that route as I would probably brown the barrel - if my understanding is right, the locks are finished in a case hardened effect.

Thanks again for the info - greatly appreciated.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 3, 2013, 06:19 PM   #4
freedom475

I have had 2 of them...they are fun little shooters. I got bored with my first one and sold it. Then I missed it and my son thought he might like another, so I had to buy another..lol...but it looks like he may never grow into it so I may sell this one too.

My first one had a great stock and very good wood to metal. My second one is not quite as good.

I think my second one may have been a kit and there is a faint crack between the tang area and the lock that looks like the wood was not propperly fit before the tang was installed.

NO they do not have a hooked breech, but the wedge and single tang screw are pretty easy to manage.

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."