The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 23, 2015, 10:09 AM   #26
Deerhunter

I watch the show. As someone else said about their wife watching it, mine is the same. This is one show she will watch. Plenty of it is interesting, just how they live off the land and help each other out.

Jane scares the crap out of me when she has a gun in her hands. The episode where she got scoped I was watching her get set and I said to my wife, this is going to end badly. She wasn't even shouldering the rifle correctly.

The episode recently where 4 of them went deer hunting....How the heck do you fly to a place 150 miles away from home and NOT carry enough bullets? I get that they aren't 10 minutes from the sporting goods store, but really. They trade and barter for stuff and obviously have money coming in from the show. There is no reason that they didn't have at least a box of ammo per person.
Old February 23, 2015, 06:23 PM   #27
Mobuck

" I get that they aren't 10 minutes from the sporting goods store,"
Maybe more than 10 minutes but most likely no further from a store than I. I've studied the lay-out on Google maps and I'll just say the camera guys have to be pretty careful(or the scenes edited) to prevent "non-frontierish" back drops.
Old February 23, 2015, 09:57 PM   #28
22-rimfire

Atz Kilcher is not a poor fellow. How many people own all that equipment that they have? All that said, I still watch it because I enjoy the scenery and the kinds of problems they have are real kinds of problems that one might face in Alaska on a homestead. The stuff about starving is mostly BS as far as I'm concerned for Atz or his sons. If things got tough, they'd just fly in some food.

The hunting portions of the show is a bit much. They are not really hunters, but they hunt. I believe the scope thing was real and I knew precisely what was going to happen the way she was holding the rifle. Her hubby was a butt for allowing her to shoot like that.
Old February 24, 2015, 07:41 AM   #29
giaquir

Atz is a millionaire...something to do with his singing daughter.

The rumor is the Bush people stay at a lodge during non-filming hours
and get $12k apiece for every episode.
Old February 24, 2015, 11:30 AM   #30
kraigwy

I spent 22 years in Alaska, the first two, in a 12X18 cabin I built (squatting on Rail Road Land), no electricity or running water.

I spent a great deal of time in the Villages along the Bering Sea in Western Alaska living with these people.

I've seen the Alaska shows. Last Frontier, Bush People, Life below zero, Yukon men....................none of these shows are any where close to what it really like.

For example, the closest is Yukon Men.............but again, take the stories about people panicking when they find a black bear at the dump.......the world is gonna end, the bears are gonna eat all the kids.

Go to Alaska, every town dump in Alaska is crawling with bears, yet not that many kids are eaten.

It the shows were any where close to reality, I'd go back there and get rich teaching the idiots how to shoot.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 24, 2015, 04:07 PM   #31
reynolds357

Kraig, if the shows were real, you would not get rich teaching them how to shoot. You would get a pile of bartered stuff you have little use for, but not rich.
Old February 24, 2015, 08:22 PM   #32
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

As I said before, Chip's part of "Life Below Zero" is as real as can be within the problems of filming, and making lengthy events into short segments. He's posted probably over a hundred photos at THR, going back to well before the TV thing began.
Old February 24, 2015, 09:58 PM   #33
reynolds357

Does Chip shoot any better than the crowd on Alaska The Last Frontier?
Old February 24, 2015, 11:28 PM   #34
22-rimfire

Quote:
The rumor is the Bush people stay at a lodge during non-filming hours and get $12k apiece for every episode.
Funny. The staying in a lodge would not surprise me. I know they are all paid for the show. One of my favorite scenes is the kids (if you want to call the kids) gorging on pizza. I wondered where they got the money and then assumed the show staff bought it for them.

The handyman episode where the boys were fixing up that lady's cabin was humorous. I wouldn't hire a handy man without tools.

I would probably be concerned about bears too if I was building a cabin where they are building one and living in those "shelters". They never really overly dramatized the bear thing. I wouldn't shoot them, but I would pay attention. Bear is a trip. Kind of strange actually.

The shooting (shots fired) thing was all made up in the previous season in my opinion. They just wanted to end the show. The location was all wrong for any kind of show beyond building the cabin.

I suspect the sunk boat was also contrived for the show.
Old February 25, 2015, 12:15 AM   #35
Water-Man

Maybe their marksmanship will improve now that Alaska has legalized weed.
Old February 25, 2015, 01:20 PM   #36
TimSr

Quote:
take the stories about people panicking when they find a black bear at the dump.......the world is gonna end, the bears are gonna eat all the kids.
LOL! Funny you mention that. I was watching with my wife and told her that it was highly dramatized for TV, and that no self respecting Alaskan would freak out and run around to "warn" the neighbors there was a black bear around. Its Alaska. They're alwasy around. It reminded of last year when a couple young spring boars showed up around here, where they are rare, and everybody freaked out and locked thier kids in the house.

And that woman who is hunting, and looked like she had never been on a hunt of any kind before.
Old February 25, 2015, 07:25 PM   #37
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"Does Chip shoot any better than the crowd on Alaska The Last Frontier?"

His wife and daughters apparently do. They manage to eat, all winter long.
Old February 25, 2015, 08:15 PM   #38
Old Stony

It is my understanding that Chip is not allowed to shoot at this point. He had some problems with the Alaska Troopers that hasn't been resolved yet. Being non native, he probably has some restrictions on what he can do concerning wildlife that wouldn't effect his wife.
Old February 25, 2015, 09:42 PM   #39
giaquir

Is it Charlie on Yukon men that has the M16?
He seems to be a good shot.
Old February 26, 2015, 01:33 AM   #40
doofus47

I have no idea what you're talking about.
And yet, oddly, I don't feel I've missed anything.
Old March 6, 2015, 06:45 AM   #41
hooligan1

I watched Atz shoot a wolf last night at long range with his model 70, he hit it, so Im a believer.
Old March 6, 2015, 09:36 AM   #42
buck460XVR

After watching the show for a coupla years, I see why they raise cattle. If they had to depend on their hunting/shooting skills, they would have starved.
Old March 6, 2015, 10:31 AM   #43
Deerhunter

Quote:
Atz Kilcher is not a poor fellow. How many people own all that equipment that they have?
Quote:
Atz is a millionaire...something to do with his singing daughter.
Otto is the one with all the equipment. Atz is the brother that mostly spends his time on the range looking after the cattle (Otto's cows).

Atz's daughter is the singer Jewel who was married to Ty Murray the pro rodeo cowboy.

It is my understanding that the producers contacted the Kilchers about the show before they even knew they were related to Jewel and that they didn't use her to get the deal. It wasn't until after they were contacted that Jewel sang the theme song with her dad (Atz) who is also a singer. Of course she has helped them out putting them in contact with management firms and lawyers.
Old March 6, 2015, 09:17 PM   #44
Mobuck

"Otto is the one with all the equipment."
All that "equipment" wouldn't buy one GOOD tractor even in the lower 48.
I found their place on Google last night-they have neighbors within a mile or less and a "community" within a few miles. Homer is maybe 30 minutes away depending on road conditions. They live on "Kilcher Road"--imagine that.
Old March 7, 2015, 09:44 AM   #45
kraigwy

Speaking of Otto, from what I know of that area, Otto could make a dern good living with his landing craft hauling supplies and equipment for others who live in that part of Alaska.

He could work in the summers and spend his winters in luxury setting by the fire. Though most of South Central Water ways are ice free for the most part if he wanted to work in the winter if he was inclined to get rich.

But I'm lazy, I'd spend my winters setting by the fire...........OH WAIT, I pretty much do that now. I could stay in Wyoming where I don't need as much firewood.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 7, 2015, 10:04 AM   #46
giaquir

On one show,Otto mentioned he worked at the Valdez
oil spill. Eivan also works with the heavy equip off
the homestead,so all isn't as it appears.
Old March 7, 2015, 01:22 PM   #47
SARuger

I enjoy the show, the scenery and the wildlife. I don't think they are very good hunters but they can fish. Farming is what they are best at. I grew up on a beef cattle farm and they know what they are doing. I'm glad I didn't have to heard cattle as far as they do at times.

Jane seems like a sweet, tough lady but she worries me when she shoots. As for the guys, they shouldn't shoot deer on the run but to each is own and every situation is different. I will pass on a running deer myself. I like clean kills and deer that pile up with one shot. And what is with the odd rifle calibers? Its probably hard enough to find 30-06 or 270 up there and I think I heard one of them say they were shooting a .280 or .264? Those do not seem like a very common round to find in a remote area.

Its a better show than that Alaska bush people show, that is terrible but amusing. The older daughter is the only one that has any sense or skills on that show. She can shoot too.
Old March 7, 2015, 08:09 PM   #48
Bucksnort1

reynolds357, I agree, they are not good hunters. There is another show with worse hunters. The show, "Life Below Zero" follows people who live above and below the Arctic Circle. One dude, Chip Hailstone, is married to a local native. She can hunt at times and in ways he can't simply because she is a native. On one show, they found a large herd of caribou. She, with her Mosin Nagant without a scope and another family member, were shooting willy nilly into the herd. I think they killed one but who knows how many were wounded.
Old March 8, 2015, 07:10 PM   #49
hooligan1

I'd like to know what caliber Atz's model 70 is, does it ever say?
Old March 8, 2015, 08:00 PM   #50
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Chip has some legal troubles which preclude hunting. Apparently soon to be resolved, however.

A daughter shot a caribou but only wounded it. His own video of the event showed a lot of scrambling to get the final kill-shot. Their own preference is to hunt by boat and get up close and personal. He's provided numerous still photos of those.