The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 17, 2013, 11:45 PM   #1
SIMP

LCP / LC9

Thinking of trading my LCP for an LC9 but worried that I'd miss how easy the LCP pocket carries. Wanting to stick with 9mm because all of my other pistols are that caliber and I like the idea of streamlining my ammo. I have a Shield 9mm so the LC9 isn't a necessity, but rather a want. Also thinking the LC9 would pocket carry easier than the Shield. Anyhow, please throw some explanations/ideas as to what'd you do and why.

Sorry for this really random topic!
Old April 18, 2013, 09:41 AM   #2
Wishoot

Perhaps a bit easier to pocket carry over the Shield, but it's still big for pocket carry IMO. Appreciably bigger than the LCP when in your pocket.
Old April 18, 2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Grant D

I have both, the LCP and LC9. I carry the LC9 on occasion in a Crossbreed Mini Tuk,or my S&W model 37 in a OWB holster,but I always have my little LCP in my back pocket.
If I was to keep one or the other, it would be the LCP I would keep.
Old April 18, 2013, 01:46 PM   #4
Yung.gunr

I have a TCP which is pretty much the exact same size as the LCP and the wife wanted a LC9. Got her that and she hated it. I thought about keeping it for myself. IMO it is too big for pocket carry and if I wanted to carry it on my belt I might as well carry something a bit bigger for more capacity.

Stick with the LCP for pocket carry.
Old April 18, 2013, 07:04 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

Keep the LCP. That gun is a true pocket gun. The LC9, not so much, well, unless you have really damn big pockets. Plus, you already have the compact 9mm covered with the Shield. Save yourself some money and keep the LCP.
Old April 18, 2013, 07:19 PM   #6
2ndsojourn

Keep watcha got and add a 1911.
Old April 18, 2013, 08:18 PM   #7
bruno diaz

I love my LCP. I pocket carry it with me everywhere. I went through the same thought process. I went I the range and rented the LC9. I'm glad I did. I couldn't stand the long trigger pull on it. The LCP has a long trigger pull as well, but with a 1 1/2 inch grip extension it shoots beautifully. For some reason, I didn't care for the way it shot. It really isn't a pocket gun. If you've got the S&W, just stick with that. I picked up an SR9c last week myself, instead of the LC9.
Old April 19, 2013, 06:49 PM   #8
mumblyj0e

One problem with streamlining ammo that I found in these last few months (and whenever the firearm market goes through its periodic panic fits), is that when you can only shoot caliber and you can't find that caliber you're just S.O.L.

9mm has been harder to find than unicorns lately, unless I want to spend around 70 cents/round plus shipping for target loads online.

380 seems to sit on the shelf a little longer, and the weeks I can't find one, I can usually find the other.
Old April 19, 2013, 09:37 PM   #9
orionengnr

The LCP is a real pocket pistol.

The LC9 (or my choice, the Kahr PM9) is the next best thing...a more powerful caliber in a larger pistol. Many will say that it is not a real pocket pistol--it is definitely larger and heavier than the LCP.

If you can afford to own both, do so...and then decide whether you can live without one or the other.
Old April 20, 2013, 01:55 AM   #10
Theohazard

Quote:
SIMP posted
I have a Shield 9mm so the LC9 isn't a necessity, but rather a want
Just out of curiosity, why do you want an LC9 when you have a Shield? The Shield is a far better gun than the LC9 in every way except price. The Shield is better made and has less felt recoil. And, most importantly, it has one of the best triggers in its class, whereas the LC9 has an absolutely horrendous trigger.
Old April 20, 2013, 02:28 AM   #11
SDF880

+1 for the Kahr PM-9. I just did not feel the .380 offered what I wanted for pocket carry and the Kahr PM-9/CM-9 answered that for me. Not knocking the LCP at all, I like it and will carry it as necessary!
Old April 20, 2013, 08:25 AM   #12
Yung.gunr

Just to echo what others have said, the trigger on the LC9 is absolutely horrible. It is REALLY LONG. I don't really care for the trigger on the LCP either (that's why I went with the TCP) but the LCP trigger is much better. Plus, there are a ton of safeties on the LC9 that I didn't care for.
Old April 20, 2013, 10:21 AM   #13
Theohazard

Quote:
Yung.gunr posted
Just to echo what others have said, the trigger on the LC9 is absolutely horrible. It is REALLY LONG. I don't really care for the trigger on the LCP either (that's why I went with the TCP) but the LCP trigger is much better. Plus, there are a ton of safeties on the LC9 that I didn't care for.
In my opinion, the trigger on the LCP is acceptable for what it is: a tiny back-up gun that you carry when every other gun is too big. But, for me, the trigger on the LC9 is absolutely unacceptable for a primary carry gun. It's not just that it has an extremely long pull with an extremely long reset that forces you to "slap" the trigger, but it has a false reset along the way.

So if you're a shooter who rides the reset (you feel for the "click" of the trigger resetting and then pull the trigger for the next shot), you'll find that when the LC9's trigger "clicks" during the reset and you pull the trigger again, nothing happens; you have to let the trigger ALLLLL the way out to have it fully reset.

At best, this will hurt your accuracy compared to guns with good triggers like the Shield and the PPS; but at worst it will get you killed because you got only one shot off, then tried to pull the trigger when you thought you felt it resetting, but nothing happened
Old April 20, 2013, 03:13 PM   #14
cohoskip

I had an LCP but did not like the trigger or the way it shot. I now have a Kahr PM 9 which is hardly any larger and fits fine in a wallet holster. In
.380 I have a Colt Mustang that uses the same wallet holster that my LCP did. Either one is much more pleasant to shoot than the LCP...

NRA Life Member
Old April 20, 2013, 05:01 PM   #15
pete2

I have the LC9 and I really like it. The trigger is acceptable for what it is, it's easier to shoot well than my 642 revolver. It is not a target gun, but will shoot heads on the IDPA target at 10 yards all day long. It will do in the pocket in a pinch, I sometime carry in a cargo pocket. It is 3 oz. heavier than the 642 so the 642 is my choice for carry at this time. I can't see carrying any thing bulkier or heavier than the LC9. Maybe someday we'll have open carry in Texas.
Old April 24, 2013, 08:26 AM   #16
SIMP

I've shot the LC9 ad I really enjoyed it. Don't get me wrong, I really love my Shield.....I just want an LC9 in the collection. Guns the LC9/Shield size are very appealing to me for some reason. I actually like the long double action triggers of the LCP and LC9. The LCP is just a tad on the small side for me but I can appreciate what it's intended purpose is. Heck, I may just hang onto the LCP and out right buy the LC9. I'm sure I'd regret getting rid of Elsie in the long run.

My current pistols: LCP, P95, Shield 9mm, M&P9c and S&W 38 special. I'm partial to both Ruger and S&W.
Old April 24, 2013, 12:50 PM   #17
Skans

Although I pocket carry my LC9 - it's definitely more noticeable than a bunch of the small dao .380's now available. You better try one out first.
Old April 25, 2013, 03:06 PM   #18
dgludwig

Quote:
Thinking of trading my LCP for an LC9 but worried that I'd miss how easy the LCP pocket carries.
You will. "True" pocket pistols in my estimation should be as small and light as practical and as reliable as possible. The little LCP fills the bill about as well or better than most anything else, imo; especially if (as it does for many) the .380 ACP cartridge is considered the minimum for effective self-defense "stopping" power.