The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 18, 2000, 11:45 AM   #1
Kaliburz

I'd like to find some info. The "rifle" is a 1891 Argentine carbine. Any one have some mild loads for this? Any kind will do (ie FMJ, lead, "what ever" grain ullts).

Also, a buddy has a book that said one could form 7.65 bass from 30-06...has anyone done this? And the current price of dies? Pro's, con's...comments.

Thanks.

Kaliburz
Old October 10, 2000, 02:43 PM   #2
average american

loading 7.65 Mauser is easy, i have a few hundred cases that started life as 30.06 cases. Make sure you have a fairly strong press,anneal the cases, and full length resize them. Lee has data for 150 and 180 grain bullets available. I have used rcbs and lee dies with no problem.
Old October 10, 2000, 02:49 PM   #3
average american

i guess i should have mentioned that you'll have some trimming to do after the resizing, but the cases have a decent life span as the loads for this caliber arent too stout, owing to the design of the rifle itself, and the fact that Mr Mauser provided no escape route for the venting of gasses in the case of a ruptured primer until his later designs.(Read this as advice to resist the temptation to load this any hotter than max load data listed for the caliber)Not that that isn't good advice in general, but i had to say it.