The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 8, 2002, 11:51 PM   #1
mammoth

Need help picking ammo 2 3/4" Turkey PLEASE!

Hi All: I have an Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight shotgun chambered for 2 3/4" (about 20 years old and in great condition)...I plan on turkey hunting this May in upstate New York for the first time in about 15 years so I am NOT familiar with Turkey "ammo" that is now available...
can anyone recommend a good ammo for me to buy/use? New York says must be between #2 and #8.
I have a 28" vent-rib barrel with orange front "glow bead" sight that came on the barrel. Length of barrel is 28"...and I do not know the "choke" but there are no tubes for this gun...and no markings on the barrel to indicate choke type.
ANY help appreciated!
Happy Hunting...Jake
Old April 9, 2002, 04:51 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Patterning and performance vary so much shotgun to shotgun that it's impossible to just say "Use Brand X in Y shot size". YOU have to pattern your shotgun to see how different loads perform. But, do not despair.

My second choice turkey load is a 2 3/4" load, outperforming several 3" premium loads. You see, it's not ahow many pellets in the shell, it's how many end up in the turkey's head and neck.

Forget 8s, 7 1/2s and 2s. 4-6 are turkey getters, and use up turkey targets until you have found the load that puts more pellets into that vitals than the others. Then, back off from the target and see what the max distance is that you can put 8-10 pellets where they count. Hunt within that range.

HTH....
Old April 9, 2002, 10:48 AM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

No sense adding anything to that - covered.

One thing though ... I'd start patterning with the heaviest LEAD shot load you can find in your 2-3/4s Used to smoke ducks with 1-1/4oz of #4s at goodly distances & it oughta do turkeys just fine ... fact is, folks have been killing turkeys with "worse" loads than that for long before there was smokeless powder.

Many kill their turkeys every year w/out patterning, but if want to optomize your shotgun/load combo, you have to know how it shoots. Only way to do that is buy a few of this & a few of that & pattern, pattern.

Shoot life-size turkey targets & count only the hits in the neck & head.
Old April 9, 2002, 12:48 PM   #4
mammoth

Thank you for your very kind help! (It is a 12 Gauge)
I know that Walmart sells Winchester 2 3/4" MAG
1 1/2 Oz #6 shot that say TURKEY LOADS on the box...copperplated lead shot.
I was going to get a couple of boxes and go to the range and see how they print (as you suggested).
Let me know if this ammo is a "mistake" in any way!
Thank you again
Jake
PS: I am on the Marlin Talk Forum nightly...usually in the Big Bore or 336 forums....same name "Mammoth"...so I am not new to shooting...just been so long on shotgun or Turkey that I feel 'out of touch"...
Old April 9, 2002, 12:58 PM   #5
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

1-1/2oz of #6 should do the trick, but stress [I]should[/].

These come in boxes of 10 each (like a lot of turkey loads do)? If so, I'd just grab one box & check that out. If they've got the same load in #4s, and/or #5s, I'd grab one box of each & bang at least 1/2 box each to see what happens. May be surprsied at the difference between 'em.

Too, strange as it may seem, an ounce or 1-1/4 may just shoot tighter than a heavier load - in your gun.

Choose the pretty one.

If you find that a 1oz #4s shoot a tighter pattern than the super-duper turkey loads, go with the tighter patterns. Onl;y hits count after all. & besides, "regular loads" are usually cheaper than designated turkey loads.
Old April 13, 2002, 10:16 PM   #6
mammoth

THANK YOU TO ALL! Great link...all have been very kind and very helpful...and I appreciate it!
I have to wait till May 1st here in NY...going to make my ground blind this week and get it all set up.
Been calling so much (and watching videos) that the wife and kids are calling me "turkey Jake"!
Spot I have picked out has about 30 Turkeys running around, unbothered. Hope this means I get Lucky and they forgive my novice calling!
Have a box call by H.S.Strut and can make some neat sounds...been following the tapes ALOT too!
anyway...Thank you ALL again for your kind and generous help!
Jake