The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 9, 2002, 01:28 PM   #1
fedaykin

870 dry practice

hello,

can i safely dry practice with my 870 with no concern of gun damage, or would i have to purchase some dummy rounds?
just got my shotgun and wanting to practice as much as possible.

thanks
Old April 9, 2002, 04:56 PM   #2
sam3

if you spend the five bucks or so on some dummy rounds from brownells or some place else it will be the best money you have ever spent(beside the money you spent on your shotgun) ,with the dummy round you can not only dry fire with no worries but practice manipulation drills like loading ,unloading,combat loading and such . being able to practice these drills will give you a lot more out of your dry training and more than pay for itself when you live fire.
Old April 9, 2002, 05:12 PM   #3
KSFreeman

fedaykin, been dry firing 870s for several years now. No problems. If you are worried, I've had good luck with those orange plastic "snap caps" from Michigan (at office, they are at home--I'll check tonight).

However, I have four (4) of the same weapon. Every year, one goes to the smith for a through exam. Another reason to have multiple copies of the same weapon.
Old April 9, 2002, 06:34 PM   #4
KSFreeman

O.K., back at FBP (Fashionable Bachelor Pad) now.

fed, the dummy rounds I recommend are made by: Saf-T-Trainers, Precision Gun Specialities, Inc., 154 East Condensery Road, Sheridan, Michigan 48884 (517) 291-5170. My only gripe is that they are not the same weight as real rounds. I think one could fill in the empty space with a spaceage polymer or something that would replicate the same weight.

Sigh, so many brilliant ideas--so little money.
Old April 9, 2002, 07:41 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good "Dummy" rounds can be made by anyone that reloads shotshells. Use trash hulls, preferably of a color and make you do not ordinarily use, fill them with a wad and shot, and crimp heavily. Some folks Superglue the crimp, I haven't found it necessary.Mark the bases with a felt tip to further distinguish them.

For dry firing, use the snap caps or glue pencil erasers in the primer hole.

HTH....
Old April 9, 2002, 09:02 PM   #6
KSFreeman

Dave, yikes! Too close to the real stuff.

Maybe spray paint them orange or something! I'm just the sort of klutz that would confuse the issue. I'm all for shooting, just not in my dry fire area.