The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 7, 2010, 07:59 AM   #1
Dr Killdeer

Magnum Primers vs Standard Primers

Primers are getting scarce in my neck of the woods. Since regular large rifle primers are not available right now, I thought about buying large rifle magnum primers instead. I know they’ll go BANG, but I don’t know if it’s a good idea to make the substitution.

I’ll bet somebody out there has done this before! Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old February 7, 2010, 08:07 AM   #2
Uncle Buck

Everything I have read says you can do it, but you must reduce the starting load to the minimum and work your way back up.

I was reloading some .38 Special last night and saw that I accidentally picked up 1K of small pistol magnum primers, instead of the small pistol.

Guess I will hold on to them and have to make a run back to the store and get more. I have read here on the forum that primers will last for years, so no hurry to use them.
Old February 7, 2010, 08:15 AM   #3
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I have 4K of magnum large rifle primers on hand (these are Winchesters, the hottest of the magnums). I've been using them in every rifle I have of .308 and .303. They are fine, I have had no problems. However, I never load to maximum- frequently I am below the recommended minimum starting charges because that is where I am finding the best accuracy. For example, I am putting 37 g of H4895 behind 168 g match .308's. The starting charge is something like 40 g? With the speeds I am getting, Quickload thinks my pressures are in the 33k psi range.

I'm not killing anything so the velocity is not that important to me and frankly, I'm not a fan of beating myself up with recoil if I can avoid it.

I picked these primers up about 6 months ago, they were dusty and the seller gave them to me for $16 a box, he wasn't sure if they were any good. My guess is they had been sitting around since the mid-90's. I've been through 600 of them and they work fine...
Old February 7, 2010, 09:02 AM   #4
DiscoRacing

i load with mag primers for .308, .270, 30.06 and 7mm
Old February 8, 2010, 07:11 AM   #5
Nevmavrick

I've loaded a ...load of ammo with magnum primers over the years, and many of them went over the chronograph, comparing with the same load with standard primers. The usual result was the variation was higher, and the average velocity was lower, indicating erratic pressures. That was with faster single-base powders, like 3031, 4064, and 4320 in standard rounds like .300 Sav., 7x57 Mauser, .250/3000.
Using slower single-base or Ball with lots of deterrent the Mag primer comes into it's own. THAT's what they're made for. Just reduce the load and pray that primers start becoming more readily available.
Have fun,
Gene
Old February 8, 2010, 09:37 AM   #6
Snobal

My chronograph has provided hours of entertainment.

I have found more variation between "lots" of primers than between "Mag" vs "Standard" primers.

I quit loading to "Max" levels in the 1970's when I found my best accuracy with acceptable velocity was normally well below maximum pressures.

With some loads I get less shot-to-shot velocity variation with standard primers, with other loads - magnum primers give better results. My chronograph don't care what you shoot across it --- it just gives the velocity. So I use whatever combination of components that gives the best groups.

By the way, I have ammo and primers from the 1960's/1970's that still works just fine.

JMHO
Old February 8, 2010, 01:41 PM   #7
Dr Killdeer

That’s great news! I’ll start off real easy with the magnum primers. I rarely use maximum loads anyway, because in the past I could never get them to print beyond 100 yards.

Many thanks guys!
Old February 8, 2010, 02:02 PM   #8
crimsondave

I've used mag primers in IMR4350 before in a pinch and it did not make much difference. However, IMR4350 is a slow powder. If you load a faster powder it may screw up your groups.