The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2010, 01:13 PM   #1
awbrock

Standard or +P brass

Hey Guys,

I'm planning on buying some 45acp brass; my question is: since the +P brass is a little thicker at the web and has a stronger side wall do you think it will last longer that standard brass?

I've been looking at Starline Brass.

I'm not planning on +P velocities.

I have a Springfield Loaded 1911 A1 I haven't fired any +P loads and I'm not really sure if they are ok in my 1911. Anyone know? I read the manual but I can't remember where it is or if it said anything about +P ammo.

Well I guess that can be two questions.
Old February 5, 2010, 01:32 PM   #2
cali92rs

Where did you hear that +P brass is thicker and stronger?
From what I have heard, the only thing that differs from standard and +P brass is the "+P" stamp for identification and segregation purposes.
Old February 5, 2010, 02:14 PM   #3
NYPD13

I believe the only way to obtain thicker 45ACP brass is to find 45SUPER brass. I don't see the point though as the 45ACP operates at a lower pressure and tends to last for quite some time.
Old February 5, 2010, 02:19 PM   #4
awbrock

I got the info from the Starline Brass site.

http://www.starlinebrass.com/index.php?cPath=1

45 AUTO +P (Large Pistol primer) .892"-.897" O.A.L. (Backordered expected availability: 03/31/2010 )

The 45 Auto+P is a strengthened version of the 45 Auto with the same external dimensions. A thicker web and heavier sidewall at base strengthens the case in potentially unsupported areas. This case has approximately 2 grains less internal water capacity than the standard 45 Auto.
Old February 5, 2010, 02:23 PM   #5
spencerhut

Starline .45ACP and .45ACP +P are different. +P is about 10 grains heavier than the standard.

+P in your Springfield is fine.

Lifespan of semi auto brass is when you loose it. Especially true on .45ACP since it is a low pressure cartridge.

No need for the +P unless you plan on really stoking up your loads. I have many Starline standard and +P and none show any sign of giving up after many, many loadings.
Old February 5, 2010, 02:27 PM   #6
awbrock

Thanks!!!
Old February 5, 2010, 03:17 PM   #7
grubbylabs

wow I read handy information on this forum all the time. Great question and great read.
Old February 5, 2010, 03:20 PM   #8
Ken - Oh

I've always been told that there was no difference between regular and +P brass. However, recently I was shown that Starline makes their +P a bit heavier.

WARNING: If the brass is thicker, that means there is less space inside than in standard brass. That reduced space will cause pressures to rise somewhat.

Will it cause a problem? Probably not, but it depends on your load. If you load to a maximum for non +P, but using Starline +P brass, you will likely be into +P territory.

Ken
"The more law-abiding people that have guns, the better off we are," Hamilton County [Cincinnati] Prosecutor Joe Deters said. "Because the bad guys always have guns, You look at these school shootings or church shootings, the ones that have been stopped, it was because someone there had a gun."
Old February 5, 2010, 03:45 PM   #9
cali92rs

Quote:
I got the info from the Starline Brass site.

http://www.starlinebrass.com/index.php?cPath=1

45 AUTO +P (Large Pistol primer) .892"-.897" O.A.L. (Backordered expected availability: 03/31/2010 )

The 45 Auto+P is a strengthened version of the 45 Auto with the same external dimensions. A thicker web and heavier sidewall at base strengthens the case in potentially unsupported areas. This case has approximately 2 grains less internal water capacity than the standard 45 Auto.
I stand corrected
Old February 5, 2010, 04:00 PM   #10
Sevens

Lots of good in this thread, but don't miss this as it's most important to the original question:
Quote:
Lifespan of semi auto brass is when you loose it. Especially true on .45ACP since it is a low pressure cartridge.
.45 brass lasts as long as any commonly reloaded cartridge I can think of. There are many, MANY .45 shooters that have worn the headstamp off the brass from repeated cleanings and processings before some of the brass will give up the ghost.

And most likely, it'll be the case mouth that splits-- you'll notice it easily, it's not a safety issue (unless you try to load it again!) and you can cull it at that point.

The +P brass from Starline that is a bit thicker is in the case head.... Unless you do something in complete error (like a double charge), you'll never blow a piece of .45 brass up. You'll split it lengthwise to the mouth.

Your best bet for .45 auto brass: Find some used or once-fired brass and have at it! You sure don't need new brass for .45. I do understand that some folks still want it new, and that's okay.
Old February 5, 2010, 04:12 PM   #11
Ken - Oh

Quote:
.45 brass lasts as long as any commonly reloaded cartridge I can think of.
.38 special also seems to last forever, and it's harder to lose

Ken
"The more law-abiding people that have guns, the better off we are," Hamilton County [Cincinnati] Prosecutor Joe Deters said. "Because the bad guys always have guns, You look at these school shootings or church shootings, the ones that have been stopped, it was because someone there had a gun."
Old February 5, 2010, 04:53 PM   #12
Sevens

You got me there.
Now nickel plated .38 Special sure doesn't last forever... it cracks and chips off. I know because I prefer to use the nickel in .38.

Yeah, it doesn't last as long, but it's just more enjoyable to handle... and it last long enough!
Old February 7, 2010, 01:34 AM   #13
awbrock

Thanks for the info guys!